Bills' WR Corps DFL in the NFL in Separation with the Ball in the Air

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

giphy.gif

I was just about to say "I think I just heard Ryan L Billz press the power button on his Packard Bell 486.  I could hear the floppy disk searching.   He should be here any minute"

And then WHAM! there you appeared!  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that. I think what it shows, and any reasonable person can see, the Bills problems aren’t either/or, they are both. You can add coaching and design as well. The offense didn’t struggle for “A” reason, it struggled for a variety of reasons.

Agreed, but I'M putting it more on Tyrod than the receivers.

If the ball came out on time, the windows would be larger.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that. I think what it shows, and any reasonable person can see, the Bills problems aren’t either/or, they are both. You can add coaching and design as well. The offense didn’t struggle for “A” reason, it struggled for a variety of reasons.

I agree with this. so they need to address them all this off season. pick up another wr or two, a QB or two (fa/draft) and can the OC. that and a better rb back up option would be nice.

that's just the offensive side of the ball. defense could use some help as well.

likely more then one off season to right this ship.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Not really the case.  The Bills' 2017 WR corps simply wasn't good at beating man coverage with any consistency.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Benjamin is not a receiver that will get tremendous "separation", more of a guy that you throw anywhere high around his radius and he will outmuscle the defender

Strange. I thought that's what Taylor threw to Benjamin on the goal line last Sunday. And how did that work out? Question : Did Bills receivers ever catch any passes thrown into a one-on-one situation, where they had to fight for the ball? Everyone likes to repeat the cliche Taylor wouldn't attempt those, but he he did throw some. But I honestly can't remember a single instance where it resulted in a Bills' catch. Of course this is probably an easy test for people with a better memory than me, but I just don't recall much success there. Maybe that's why Taylor threw so few.....

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

We know you are putting it more on Tyrod. He certainly holds the ball (as does Ben) but his guys don’t spearate or make big plays. 

Where do you put Zay Jones’ 36% catch rate and grading as the lowest graded receiver with 50 targets? 

Just now, grb said:

Strange. I thought that's what Taylor threw to Benjamin on the goal line last Sunday. And how did that work out? Question : Did Bills receivers ever catch any passes thrown into a one-on-one situation, where they had to fight for the ball? Everyone likes to repeat the cliche Taylor wouldn't attempt those, but he he did throw some. But I honestly can't remember a single instance where it resulted in a Bills' catch. Of course this is probably an easy test for people with a better memory than me, but I just don't recall much success there. Maybe that's why Taylor threw so few.....

That was an inaccurate throw. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That is not the case with every route.   And it shouldn't have been the case with a lot of the routes Tyrods receivers should have been running if the offense has a goal of producing as many first downs and touchdowns as possible.

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The difference between dead last and dead average is less than eighteen inches...how in the world are they calculating that? 

I guess there’s a team of these analysts that sit down in front of a computer, zoom in on every single throw made in the NFL and measure the separation electronically. 

I would hate to have this job.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

?

...but no, seriously: do you really think this statistic says anything valuable at all? 

I do.  A metric like this is a useful tool, but you still need to watch game film to get the full story.  These software applications and analytic tools are only part of the equation. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I guess there’s a team of these analysts that sit down in front of a computer, zoom in on every single throw made in the NFL and measure the separation electronically. 

I would hate to have this job.

Probably...so what separation? Torso to torso? Extended arm to DB helmet? Inside foot to foot? Shoulder pad to shoulder pad? That would matter to me if I wanted to draw conclusions over such a small measurement of distance...I hate stats like this SO MUCH because they purport to show some insight into the minutiae of the game when all they really do is add confusion IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Could this be due to Tyrod's ball placement as well? If a guy is always having to slow down to get the ball could that skew the stats?

I think it is primarily on scheme. The Bills run a lot of slants and possession type of pass plays. The receivers aren’t good route runners either. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think it is primarily on scheme. The Bills run a lot of slants and possession type of pass plays. The receivers aren’t good route runners either. 

Yep.   Whereas Tyrod's strengths had been throwing to long developing aggressive style routes.

• Like (+1) 2