Bill's Cap Casualties Discussion

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

It is a business. And getting rid of a guy that just did that, is still performing at a high level and is extremely well liked in the locker room is bad business. That's the kind of thing that makes players question the process. Shady has done everything you can ask and more. He's not disposal at this point. If anything they may ask him to rework his deal. 

I hope he stays too.

Just pointing out that money trumps desires if the money is high enough.

18 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Top 3 Contracts on our 2018 Books: (All figures per Spotrac)

Tyrod Taylor:

- Cutting saves $9.44M on the cap

- Trading saves $10.44M on the cap

Cordy Glenn:

- Cut or Trade saves $4.85M on the cap

Jerry Hughes:

- Cut or Trade saves $4.6M on the cap

After that it may be Richie. Cut or Trade saves $6.425M on the cap.

Signing KB to a longer term deal and voiding the 5th year option could lower his number, but that's in a different vein that this topic I suppose.

I think you nailed it.   Taylor, Glenn, and Hughes are gone. 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Would you believe it's the difference between Tyrod Taylor and Aaron Rodgers' respective cap hits for 2018?

Why does that matter, the cap hit of signed players is irrelevant, the market value of free agents is what matters. 

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think it’s likely but they may decide that Groy and $3M in savings is a better move. I’d say he’s likely here another year but the offense is very much in the air IMO. I think that we are going to see a lot of changes in terms of both players and coaches on that side of the ball.

I think Cog goes before Wood does.  They're both leaders.  I think Cog is a better player than Wood right now (and I say that, having always liked Wood), but Cog is a "mixed blessing" part good, part trouble.  I think they figure Groy makes Cog expendable and they'll draft or sign someone to back them up.

Just now, Batman1876 said:

Why does that matter, the cap hit of signed players is irrelevant, the market value of free agents is what matters. 

This thread is about cap casualties. I thought it was an appropriate, if slightly off-topic, point of interest.

What does 'the market value of free agents is what matters' mean?

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you and I both know that not having a passing game basically at all is probably the main reason for this.

He was the focal point for defenses to key on all year.

I saw a stat not too long ago that McCoy on average was first touched by a defender something like 1.9 yards into his run which was 32nd in the league.  He literally had to start breaking tackles almost immediately.  Last year it was like 3.2 yards before first contact.  

With all this...still 4th in the league in rushing.

I think for sure we see a lot of changes.  I also thought at one point, not sure if it's feasible, that move Groy to center and Wood becomes the starting RG like he was his rookie year.

BTW....outstanding food on Sunday.  Thank you again for that....I was starving!

It's not just the passing game, it's the blocking.  Our linemen really just weren't best suited for the scheme they were trying to run.

Are we really that tight under the cap that we need to create holes in our roster in order to save a few million?  Seems like suspect logic.  This is a year to cut under preforming contracts, Glenn, and Tyrod, not cut solid performers to save a few bucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Batman1876 said:

Are we really that tight under the cap that we need to create holes in our roster in order to save a few million?  Seems like suspect logic.  This is a year to cut under preforming contracts, Glenn, and Tyrod, not cut solid performers to save a few bucks. 

IMO RB is one of the easiest holes to fill adequately through the draft.

I don't believe they will cut Hughes or Glenn, unless Glenn doesn't heal from off season surgery.  If you will only save 9 million in cap space by letting them both go, you might as well keep them for another year, once again - as long as Glenn recovers.  They might look to trade either or both, but It would be very difficult to replace basically the entire defensive front 4  (minus Lawson) and reserves in the off season, especially if Kyle retires.  This team is still a couple of years away from being the type of team that can compete at a high level year in and year out.  Fortunately, the FO can take their time to evaluate, see where they can improve via FA and the draft and decide from there.  

My hope would be that Kyle comes back one more year, they get a FA DT and draft one early.  I also hope they bring in a FA LB and draft one there also.

If Glenn could come back, he and Dawkins could be the bookend Tackles that would really solidify the line for 1 - 3 years at that position.

TT will be gone, I believe they will get a Veteran to lead the team next year and look to find a later round QB in the draft unless one that they highly value falls to a range for them to move up to.

I also can't see Clay, Incognito, or McCoy being moved.  Each plays at a level commensurate with what they are being paid.

It will definitely be an interesting off-season.

Edited by richardb1952

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not just the passing game, it's the blocking.  Our linemen really just weren't best suited for the scheme they were trying to run.

It seemed like most of the time when we tried running to the outside, there was just way too much penetration.

It looked like at contact, our pulling lineman were going backwards.  Zero push.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cog really doesn't suit Castillo's zone blocking scheme that well - he's more power than nimble and fast.  When they switched to power blocking, he did well

He saves $6.4M at the cost of $1.15M.  Then there's the "nuisance factor" as in "d*** you nuisance, I got other sh** to do than be investigating you with the league"

You gotta be a couple notches more valuable to the team than Cog is right now.  I think Cog is a likely factor.

He's our pulling guard, he's plenty nimble and fast. 

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

If the "savings" are what you say, I would not get rid of either Cordy Glenn (presuming he is healthy) or Hughes.  Why create more holes than we already have that we need to fill.

I don't think Hughes or Glenn get cut, but I definitely believe they're on the block. If we can get a 2nd or 3rd for Glenn and a 4th or so for Hughes while also saving over $4.5M each then I think it happens.

In Glenn's case specifically, if they see Dawkins as a viable LT, then they could get an additional 3rd round selection, free up $4.85M in cap space, and select an OT on Day 1 or Day 2 to compete with Mills on the right side.

If they can get a 4th for Hughes while freeing up $4.6M in cap space, then all of a sudden you have over $9M in freed up cap to sign an impactful FA D-Lineman as well as an additional pick early on Day 3.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's 29 and the way his contract was set up this is the offseason to unload him. 

You can get production from rookie RBs. Beane/McD already had to burn a season with Taylor at QB, I just don't see them going from that to relying on an aging McCoy in the next one. They're trying to move this thing forward...you can get production from midround rookie RBs. 

On this team, you're not getting McCoy type of production from a rookie.  Especially not in pass protection.  

Lesean is still the best player on this team.  He'll be here, without a doubt, for the 2018 season.  2019, however, is a different story.

Richie, but he may restructure, and of course, Tyrod are probably out.

Edited by Chicken Boo

29 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Not a chance, especially after he gutted it out in the playoff game. I don't think McD is the kind of coach that throws that kind of loyalty to the team away.

I disagree entirely, but especially after the presser today....I'm paraphrasing but he basically said he loved the way the team competed but that evaluating the team has to an "emotionless" decision...meaning, it's not about what he feels or likes personally, its about what's best for the team. Shady's Cap hit at age 29 while the Offense gets a total make-over - see Brandon Beane's comments from today about the whole Offense not being what it needs to be - and a new QB. I think Shady is traded for a low pick, say a 5th, because other teams know this too - Tyrod is gone (hopefully via trade but probably not), Hughes is gone, Incognito is gone, Mills is gone, Miller is gone, Glenn is traded, Preston and Thompson don't come back, and Lorax is let to walk away....

To me Clay comes back just because it doesn't save anything to get rid of him and he showed signs of promise, but IF the right trade with say, Seattle comes into play, then I could definitely see that too since O'Leary is more the type of TE I think McD and Beane want...dual threat to block and catch, less of the slim, fast TE / WR hybrid and more of the traditional TE....

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's not a trend, I agree, but he just put up the lowest YPC in his career while also averaging the most attempts per game since he came to Buffalo. I think he's going to hit the wall pretty quickly in the form of more injuries, not to mention that his style of play will not age well at all. And that his contract wasn't set up by these guys doesn't mean they won't take advantage of an out.

You may be right, but I perceive that a big reason for his drop in YPC was the ineffectiveness of the passing game, more weeks than not. I suspect the Bills are not the hardest team to defend.  I really didn't detect McCoy himself,  slipping at all.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buftex said:

You may be right, but I perceive that a big reason for his drop in YPC was the ineffectiveness of the passing game, more weeks than not. I suspect the Bills are not the hardest team to defend.  I really didn't detect McCoy himself,  slipping at all.  

Absolutely a factor 

I think Tyrod & Alexander are gone.   (saves $13mil)  

I think Jordan Matthews is going to want a higher salary than the Bills will be willing to pay and he probably signs somewhere else.

I could see Ritchie being cut since that would save the Bills ~6.5mil but he's the Bills best Olineman.  I could also see McD/Beane getting rid of Glenn/Hughes since they seem to want to get rid of every expensive contract they weren't originally a part of.  But I think getting rid of either vs cap savings would be a mistake and hope both are on the roster in 2018.

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I suspect that too.  Great run defender, below average pass rusher.

He tied for the team lead in sacks playing in only 10 1/2 games. He's no Von Miller or Joey Bosa, but he gives above average pass rush ability and run D. I will be shocked if either Lawson or Hughes is gone, though Beane has certainly done some shocking trades.  

I seem them keeping both and drafting a pass rusher early since they need reinforcements there.

• Like (+1) 2