Bill's Cap Casualties Discussion

7 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Ritchie will redo his contract.

Clay doesn't save anything.

Tyrod and Hughes are gone.

I don’t see Hughes leaving, he is the only pass rusher they have. Cutting Tyrod and Glenn saves us 20, Mil ( if we cut Tyrod before his bonuses kick in). We already have 35 mil in cap space. With 55 mil we don’t cut Hughes. Unless you think you can get a better player for 5 mil, which I don’t see as realistic. 

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Not a chance, especially after he gutted it out in the playoff game. I don't think McD is the kind of coach that throws that kind of loyalty to the team away.

It is a business.   It isn't about friendships and loyalty.   Eventually you have to fire/cut guys you really, really like , respect and admire.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

But McCoy isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

His contract wasn't set up by this regime.

It's not a trend, I agree, but he just put up the lowest YPC in his career while also averaging the most attempts per game since he came to Buffalo. I think he's going to hit the wall pretty quickly in the form of more injuries, not to mention that his style of play will not age well at all. And that his contract wasn't set up by these guys doesn't mean they won't take advantage of an out.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think Wood is a possibility after signing an extension?

I don’t think it’s likely but they may decide that Groy and $3M in savings is a better move. I’d say he’s likely here another year but the offense is very much in the air IMO. I think that we are going to see a lot of changes in terms of both players and coaches on that side of the ball. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think Hughes will be cut for a Savings of 4.6. They will have about 50 mill of space without Tyrod. 

But who knows. 

Yep he’s a goner 

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I suspect that too.  Great run defender, below average pass rusher.

You think? I don't see what we could get for him, he hasn't really shown anyone anything and he's cheap on that rookie contract. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It's not a trend, I agree, but he just put up the lowest YPC in his career while also averaging the most attempts per game since he came to Buffalo. I think he's going to hit the wall pretty quickly in the form of more injuries, not to mention that his style of play will not age well at all. And that his contract wasn't set up by these guys doesn't mean they won't take advantage of an out.

I think you and I both know that not having a passing game basically at all is probably the main reason for this.

He was the focal point for defenses to key on all year.

I saw a stat not too long ago that McCoy on average was first touched by a defender something like 1.9 yards into his run which was 32nd in the league.  He literally had to start breaking tackles almost immediately.  Last year it was like 3.2 yards before first contact.  

With all this...still 4th in the league in rushing.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think it’s likely but they may decide that Groy and $3M in savings is a better move. I’d say he’s likely here another year but the offense is very much in the air IMO. I think that we are going to see a lot of changes in terms of both players and coaches on that side of the ball. 

I think for sure we see a lot of changes.  I also thought at one point, not sure if it's feasible, that move Groy to center and Wood becomes the starting RG like he was his rookie year.

BTW....outstanding food on Sunday.  Thank you again for that....I was starving!

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you and I both know that not having a passing game basically at all is probably the main reason for this.

He was the focal point for defenses to key on all year.

I saw a stat not too long ago that McCoy on average was first touched by a defender something like 1.9 yards into his run which was 32nd in the league.  He literally had to start breaking tackles almost immediately.  Last year it was like 3.2 yards before first contact.  

With all this...still 4th in the league in rushing.

I'm not saying McCoy isn't great. He absolutely is. I'm saying I can easily see the justifications for letting him go, and I agree with a lot of them.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Top 3 Contracts on our 2018 Books: (All figures per Spotrac)

Tyrod Taylor:

- Cutting saves $9.44M on the cap

- Trading saves $10.44M on the cap

Cordy Glenn:

- Cut or Trade saves $4.85M on the cap

Jerry Hughes:

- Cut or Trade saves $4.6M on the cap

After that it may be Richie. Cut or Trade saves $6.425M on the cap.

Signing KB to a longer term deal and voiding the 5th year option could lower his number, but that's in a different vein that this topic I suppose.

If the "savings" are what you say, I would not get rid of either Cordy Glenn (presuming he is healthy) or Hughes.  Why create more holes than we already have that we need to fill.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You think? I don't see what we could get for him, he hasn't really shown anyone anything and he's cheap on that rookie contract. 

Yeah you're not going to get a great pick for him.  3rd-4th round area.  Sucks because just two years ago....he was drafted in the first.

We desperately need to upgrade the pass rush.  

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I'm not saying McCoy isn't great. He absolutely is. I'm saying I can easily see the justifications for letting him go, and I agree with a lot of them.

I love McCoy....don't break my heart and say he won't be hear next year.

Capisce?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

It is a business.   It isn't about friendships and loyalty.   Eventually you have to fire/cut guys you really, really like , respect and admire.

It is a business. And getting rid of a guy that just did that, is still performing at a high level and is extremely well liked in the locker room is bad business. That's the kind of thing that makes players question the process. Shady has done everything you can ask and more. He's not disposal at this point. If anything they may ask him to rework his deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Don't stop billievein said:

Ritchie, clay, maybe shady, Hughes. 

We keep Clay, we pay $4.5M.  We cut Clay, costs us $9M and no savings.  He's still contributing at a good level.

No reason to cut him. 

McCoy is a bit worse than even-steven or thereabouts - $5.2M dead money, $3.7M savings.  At times, he was the offense.

Please don't cut him!

Hughes is also at the "break even point" ($5.8M dead, $4.6M savings) - although he isn't as productive as I'd like, we have bigger holes, I think he stays.

Glenn is an interesting question.  $9.6M dead cap for $4.8M savings.  I suppose it depends upon what they plan for the OL - Beane seemed very careful to talk him up about "successful procedure, working hard to get ready for next season".  They might be hoping they can work him into a trade.

Cog really doesn't suit Castillo's zone blocking scheme that well - he's more power than nimble and fast.  When they switched to power blocking, he did well

He saves $6.4M at the cost of $1.15M.  Then there's the "nuisance factor" as in "d*** you nuisance, I got other sh** to do than be investigating you with the league"

You gotta be a couple notches more valuable to the team than Cog is right now.  I think Cog is a likely factor.

Taylor is another player who saves slightly more than he racks up in dead cap ($8.6 dead, $9.4 savings).  People here might swallow their tongues, but I think whether he stays or goes is gonna be driven by what they do at the QB position (and maybe the OC position).  If they trade for Smith or go all in to sign Cousins, he's gone, natch.  If they decide to go for a rookie, I think they actually might keep him, at least to the point where they bring in maybe another 2nd tier FA and let everyone fight it out in camp for 2nd place.