Bill's Cap Casualties Discussion

I could see Hughes, Glenn, Taylor, Incognito, all gone next year.  The biggest contracts on the books will all be gone.  I expect gaines, Brown, and Thompson offered extensions with P brown ending up walking.  Last year the team was strapped against the cap.  The shedding of contracts will see the defensive front 7 seeing the most change and most money dumped into.  I think they will make a competitive offer to Cousins as well.  

23 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

On this team, you're not getting McCoy type of production from a rookie.  Especially not in pass protection.  

Lesean is still the best player on this team.  He'll be here, without a doubt, for the 2018 season.  2019, however, is a different story.

Richie, but he may restructure, and of course, Tyrod are probably out.

2017 rookie RBs (the ones who, off the top of my head, got significant time this season) were IMO: Fournette, McCaffrey, Cook, Hunt, Mixon, Perine, Foreman, Kamara, Cohen, Mack, Gallman, Jones/Williams in GB. There may be more but I can't think of them.

Among them they averaged 4.3 YPC. McCoy averaged 4 YPC. The average draft position of all those guys was the top 3rd round. 

Lawson costs us a lot of dead cap if cut.  He is going no where unless someone gives a high pick.

Hughes' play does not warrant his salary.  He is very unproductive.  It is kind of sad that we will put Ryan Davis or Cap in his spot for a couple plays and they will make a play while we get nothing from Hughes all game.

8 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Lawson costs us a lot of dead cap if cut.  He is going no where unless someone gives a high pick.

Hughes' play does not warrant his salary.  He is very unproductive.  It is kind of sad that we will put Ryan Davis or Cap in his spot for a couple plays and they will make a play while we get nothing from Hughes all game.

Seems to me Beane and McD don't mind doing player for player deals.

I would think there could be more of those.

Some team running a Wide 9 or similar may really want a guy like Hughes and give up someone the Bills want.

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

2017 rookie RBs (the ones who, off the top of my head, got significant time this season) were IMO: Fournette, McCaffrey, Cook, Hunt, Mixon, Perine, Foreman, Kamara, Cohen, Mack, Gallman, Jones/Williams in GB. There may be more but I can't think of them.

Among them they averaged 4.3 YPC. McCoy averaged 4 YPC. The average draft position of all those guys was the top 3rd round. 

How many of those guys play for the Buffalo Bills as the lone offensive weapon, with Tyrod Taylor as their QB?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Seems to me Beane and McD don't mind doing player for player deals.

I would think there could be more of those.

Some team running a Wide 9 or similar may really want a guy like Hughes and give up someone the Bills want.

I agree. I think we'll see some of these.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you and I both know that not having a passing game basically at all is probably the main reason for this.

He was the focal point for defenses to key on all year.

I saw a stat not too long ago that McCoy on average was first touched by a defender something like 1.9 yards into his run which was 32nd in the league.  He literally had to start breaking tackles almost immediately.  Last year it was like 3.2 yards before first contact.  

With all this...still 4th in the league in rushing.

I think for sure we see a lot of changes.  I also thought at one point, not sure if it's feasible, that move Groy to center and Wood becomes the starting RG like he was his rookie year.

BTW....outstanding food on Sunday.  Thank you again for that....I was starving!

It was great meeting your guys!! Everything was good but that stupid game! At least we are heading in the right direction. This is a massive offseason for the Bills to take a step. They have a ton of resources and some glaring issues. 

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Didn't they extend Woods this year?

Yes

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

How many of those guys play for the Buffalo Bills as the lone offensive weapon, with Tyrod Taylor as their QB?

Tough argument when last season the Bills has the highest YPC in over 20 seasons. That is of ALL NFL teams too not just Bills teams. To go from there to where they were this year isn’t just one thing. It is a culmination of failures and regression. There are a lot of places to point.

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't expect Taylor nor the limitations he places on an offense to be a factor for the Buffalo Bills next season.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I disagree entirely, but especially after the presser today....I'm paraphrasing but he basically said he loved the way the team competed but that evaluating the team has to an "emotionless" decision...meaning, it's not about what he feels or likes personally, its about what's best for the team. Shady's Cap hit at age 29 while the Offense gets a total make-over - see Brandon Beane's comments from today about the whole Offense not being what it needs to be - and a new QB. I think Shady is traded for a low pick, say a 5th, because other teams know this too -

Shady costs the Bills $6M next year if we keep him.  He socks us a $5.25M dead cap hit if we cut or trade him for only $3.7M savings.

He's hungry.  He wants it.  He's the kind of guy who can help a new QB lift the team.

I don't see the value in trading McCoy for a 5th round pick to save $3.7M.  I think other guys go first - Tyrod, Cog etc.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's our pulling guard, he's plenty nimble and fast. 

If you say so? 

He's strong, he's balanced, he's a canny vet, he brings a big streak of the nasty a top OLman needs, IMO he did better in Kromer's scheme than Castillo.

Look at the Falcons OL this weekend.  That's more the kind of speed and agility Castillo's scheme asks for

Glenn and Tylor for sure

I wonder if Richie's 6.3 million is going to be too tempting to pass up.   

Clay probably stays but I would be they address the position in free agency and the or the draft and move on from him next year. 

shady is back.

Alexander should be back and go back to doing what he does best rushing the passer.   They will address the linebacking situation this offseason . Alexander offers excellent rotational play at d end and of course special teams 

Why would we cut clay? Do people think he was so bad that hes worth getting rid of even if we don't gain anything for it? Do people think we would be better with 9 Mil of dead cap room than with Charles Clay on the roster? 

Edited by Batman1876
  • Like (+1) 1

CUTS in order of cap hit

tyrod taylor

kelvin Benjamin (biggest surprise) bills will attempt to sign long term, but fail

Lorenzo alexander

Patrick demarco

andre holmes

Vladimir ducasse

Adolphus washington

TRADES 

cordy 

hughes

STAY ONE MORE YEAR

shady

clay

richie

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was great meeting your guys!! Everything was good but that stupid game! At least we are heading in the right direction. This is a massive offseason for the Bills to take a step. They have a ton of resources and some glaring issues. 

Yes

Tough argument when last season the Bills has the highest YPC in over 20 seasons. That is of ALL NFL teams too not just Bills teams. To go from there to where they were this year isn’t just one thing. It is a culmination of failures and regression. There are a lot of places to point.

There are, but we also ran a completely different offense last year. 

I don't think there's any arguing that Anthony Lynn designed a better offense to suit Tyrod and Shady's strengths than did Dennison.

3 hours ago, Don't stop billievein said:

Ritchie, clay, maybe shady, Hughes. 

Whats Shady’s cap- 5 mil next year? Doubt he is a casualty.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just can't see it, especially since whoever plays QB next year won't be an elite passer and we'll have to rely on our running game.

Wont be an elite passer? Why is the cart before the horse? FA hasnt begun yet- lets wait and see what this regime does, ya know, the new one that isn’t aftaid to make moves.

14 minutes ago, papazoid said:

CUTS in order of cap hit

tyrod taylor

kelvin Benjamin (biggest surprise) bills will attempt to sign long term, but fail

Lorenzo alexander

Patrick demarco

andre holmes

Vladimir ducasse

Adolphus washington

TRADES 

cordy 

hughes

STAY ONE MORE YEAR

shady

clay

richie

Cordy has ZERO trade value right now.

17 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Wont be an elite passer? Why is the cart before the horse? FA hasnt begun yet- lets wait and see what this regime does, ya know, the new one that isn’t aftaid to make moves.

I don’t see us getting Cousins but if we do....yes I will change my tune.

If I had to guess, Alex Smith with a rookie waiting behind him.  We will need a strong rushing game.