What will it cost to get Kirk Cousins?

Bakin

Someone mentioned it would take draft picks. 

Assuming he’s a free agent - then it’s just highest bidder right?

throw him a Stafford type deal and be done with it??

im leaning more this route now.

And never was before. 

Get a guy who has some accomplishments...some experience. And build the team around him. 

Not Alex Smith. Too old. 

• Like (+1) 2

I believe there is a way that Redskins could try to somehow retain Cousins with the intent to trade him.   

If that is indeed the case, then I personally would be willing to give up one of this years first and 2nd rounders for him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bakin said:

And never was before. 

Get a guy who has some accomplishments...some experience. And build the team around him. 

Not Alex Smith. Too old. 

Cousins will be 30 at the start of next season

Just now, nucci said:

Cousins will be 30 at the start of next season

Considering how much talk there is about almost every team that needs a QB is high on obtaining him, I am guessing it will be a 5 year 100 to 120 million dollar contract for any team to get him.

I was never high on Cousins but I paid close attention to him this year. They didn't have a great line in Washington, but I would pass. He doesn't come off as a "gamer". His ceiling is probably more like that of Jay Cutler's career.

I'd rather draft a guy in the first, sign a lower tier vet, and have them battle with Peterman in the offseason.

If we want to make a big jump quickly, I don't think Cousins is the answer.

20 minutes ago, Magox said:

I believe there is a way that Redskins could try to somehow retain Cousins with the intent to trade him.   

If that is indeed the case, then I personally would be willing to give up one of this years first and 2nd rounders for him.

the only way is to tag him then get into a bidding war they won't win.   

image.jpeg.9706aeeccbc9d510ffe5d14d7724b68c.jpeg

11 minutes ago, mob16151 said:

7 years 160 million.

That's sounds about right.  Could the Bills do it?  Maybe, but that's a pretty big price tag.

What's sad is that the Bills, or anyone else, could have nabbed him just a few years ago for a fourth round pick.  He was drafted by the Skins the same year as RG3 and Cousins was viewed as a career backup.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

5 years, $135M

Yeah that I think.  The problem there is does his mega contract hinder you from building the rest of the team.  Look at Brees and maybe Stafford too.  Their huge contracts make the rest of the team average and then they don't win.  Although Saints look good this year

Just now, Iverwig said:

No to Cousins! Redskins fans don't even want him as their QB. I would say yes if it cost us no higher than a 2nd rounder but I would just take a chance in the draft. 

I don't think fan's wishes really dictate anything.  Fans of any team hate their QB if their team doesn't win, regardless of how good or bad the guy is.

37 minutes ago, fridge said:

I was never high on Cousins but I paid close attention to him this year. They didn't have a great line in Washington, but I would pass. He doesn't come off as a "gamer". His ceiling is probably more like that of Jay Cutler's career.

I'd rather draft a guy in the first, sign a lower tier vet, and have them battle with Peterman in the offseason.

If we want to make a big jump quickly, I don't think Cousins is the answer.

It's reasonable not to want Cousins but he's already a lot better than Cutler. Cutler's problem is INTs, and Cousins doesn't really have a problem there. 

Myself, I'd love to get Cousins but I'm not sure they can bring him in as far as money is concerned. OC would also be something Cousins will be looking at and I'm not sure Dennison would be a guy he'd want to work with. If they want him, they'll probably have to bring in an OC who he'd be compatible with.

I'd love it if we did get him, though.

26 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

No to Cousins! Redskins fans don't even want him as their QB. I would say yes if it cost us no higher than a 2nd rounder but I would just take a chance in the draft. 

I don't think that's true at all. 

Just a quick look at the HogWash boards shows most Washington fans there are losing hope but would love to have Cousins there.

30 minutes ago, Bakin said:

And never was before. 

Not Alex Smith. Too old. 

1 week ago; I thought this was the wrong route to take.  Given the fact that we’re picking 21 and 22, I don’t think any of the top 5 QBs will fall to us.  I think I’d rsther wait til the or 3rd for a qb (unless they really like one of these guys).  I’m not a fan of the guys after the top 5 right now (still lots of scouting to do).  I don’t think whoever we draft in rd 2-3 will be a capable starter next year, so the best QB available via FA or trade should be our course of action action.  

The ideal scenario, to me, would be for Darnold or Rosen to fall to 3, trade our 2 1st rd picks (works out with draft slot value) and maybe another lower pick for the 3rd pick. Draft said QB and use the money we saved on a big QB deal to sign Gaines, front 7 and a RG.  Then we’d have a starting QB with huge promise on the cheap for the next 4 years. Problem with this scenario:  if Rosen and Darnold go 1+2.  Then we’d (hopefully) target mayfield but would still have to use both 1st rd picks to move into the top 10 (id prefer not to trade away future picks for any qb not named Rosen or Darnold).  Josh allen and Lamar Jackson are downright scary.  Huge upside with both, but as with the other QBs, we’d have to trade up to get them.  I wouldn’t want to trade both 1sts for either of those guys.  We’d have to retain TT or risk throwing Peterman or allen/Jackson out there with a potential for disaster.

Big decisions looming for McBeane. Should be an interesting offseason to say the least.  Just really hope we can land a franchise QB while bolstering the front 7 and OL.