Sammy Watkins Wants to Stay with the Rams - Hits the Open Market

What makes it more difficult for the Rams is that they traded away a quality starting DB and more importantly a 2nd rounder.   Sammy's lack of production must have come to a shock to them and now they are stuck with this decision to make.   The only saving grace is that the Rams played really well this year and that masks the poor decision they made to trade away 2 good assets for one lackluster one.

27 minutes ago, Magox said:

What makes it more difficult for the Rams is that they traded away a quality starting DB and more importantly a 2nd rounder.   Sammy's lack of production must have come to a shock to them and now they are stuck with this decision to make.   The only saving grace is that the Rams played really well this year and that masks the poor decision they made to trade away 2 good assets for one lackluster one.

Same GM that gave Tavon Austin a big deal. 

53 minutes ago, Magox said:

How funny would it be if Gaines signs in LA & Sammy returns to Buffalo  :)

• Haha (+1) 1

Belichick always signs guys that have hurt him in the past. 

If Watkins hits the market, watch the Pats sign him at a big discount and Brady/McDaniels finally unlock his potential. Gilmore will talk the place -- and the chance to produce and to win -- up to Sammy. He will proceed to torch the Bills twice a year for the next five years.

Sorry. I went down a dark road there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

If Watkins hits the market, watch the Pats sign him at a big discount and Brady/McDaniels finally unlock his potential. Gilmore will talk the place -- and the chance to produce and to win -- up to Sammy. He will proceed to torch the Bills twice a year for the next five years.

Doubtful.  I'd put money on San Fran. 

Rams are in a tough cap spot. They have some space, but can't pay everyone. They have Sammy, Joyner, and Johnson all UFAs. Donald needs a new contract coming up and then you have Gurley as well and Goff down the road. They might lose Quinn, Barron, Austin to make it all work. 

47 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Rams are in a tough cap spot. They have some space, but can't pay everyone. They have Sammy, Joyner, and Johnson all UFAs. Donald needs a new contract coming up and then you have Gurley as well and Goff down the road. They might lose Quinn, Barron, Austin to make it all work. 

Donald HAS to be top priority this year imo 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

100 percent!

It's weird. I've been thinking how the Bills have been in a tough spot for a long time as a perpetually middle of the pack team, 8-8, 7-9 etc. The Rams are a team that has been awful for a while and stacked with really high picks. This is the other side of it as all this those top picks eventually become super expensive. They finally had a good year and they aren't going to be able to keep the team together. Sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Magox said:

Eh... We aren't resigning the DB either because of injury concerns.... What's to say they would have felt compelled to resign him? And why would it be a good decision for them to resign him, and for us to not resign him?

10 hours ago, cba fan said:

Sammy is a little soft no doubt.

But I would talk to him and his agent and see what is up. Sammy for 7 mill a year is a good deal to keep him out of La La land New England.

Sammy is going to sign in Buffalo for 7 mill a year?  Now that’s just hilarious 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think he could try to go the Alshon route and sign somewhere for a year where he’s the #1 WR with a good QB and then parlay it into a bigger long term deal than he could get this year 

That's what I was thinking too.  Last years production didn't warrant a big contract.

Take the Jeffrey route, have a better year and then look for the better contract then.  He needs to go to a team with an established QB where he can be a focal point.

I think a team like the Lions or Redskins make sense.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Donald alone will take up half of their cap space next year if they pay him. I said it last year. The Rams went all in on 2017. They were actually closer than I would have ever thought to winning a Super Bowl but it didn't work and now they're in a tight spot. They only have 2 draft picks in the first 3 rounds. They can't re-sign everyone. I expect them to take a step back this year.

I know I'm in the minority, but I fully believe Sammy has the physical talent to be the best receiver in the league, or at least top 5. It has been his attitude, his health, and his quarterback circumstances that have held him back. He's not without fault for his failures, but he's also been dealt a bad hand at times. He was in run-first offenses in Buffalo with simple, outdated passing concepts and a QB who rarely threw for over 200 yards a game. The Bills also never seemed to work to his strengths. For instance, he was one of the best screen WRs in NCAA history. The Bills NEVER dialed up any screens for him.

The one time he DID stay reasonably healthy and got things clicking with his quarterback, he was absolutely dominant. We all saw it. One of the best, if not THE best deep ball receivers in the league. 

Last year, he was a late addition to a Rams team that had already seen its QB build more of a rapport with the other receivers. Also: Goff, for all of his strides last season, is still a terrible deep ball thrower. In the Rams games I watched, Sammy was either over or under thrown too many times to count.

If it sounds like I'm a Sammy apologist, it's because I am. Aside from his bad attitude -- which I admit was a bad look and which he seems to have corrected -- he has been the victim of some bad circumstances. Put him in a legitimate passing offense with an even halfway decent QB who can throw a deep ball, and he can and will dominate. I just hope the place in which he dominates is not New England.

• Like (+1) 4

16 hours ago, Logic said:

I wouldn't worry too much about Sammy ending in Pats land. Not their type of player.

7 hours ago, cba fan said:

8.5 mill / yr.??

You really think there’s even the slightest chance that Sammy Watkins is going to sign with the BUFFALO BILLS for 8.5 mill a year? 

Does he deserve more than 8.5? Probably not, but it’s my belief that he wouldn’t sign with the Bills for 12 mill a year.  I’d love to have him back as I think he’s an elite “talent”.  I just don’t think he’d ever willingly sign with Buffalo while he’s in his 20s and is trying to become great.  Whether or not he ever becomes great is anothe debate.  

• Like (+1) 1