Sammy Watkins Wants to Stay with the Rams - Hits the Open Market

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He went to LA at a late stage and was not able to establish an on field rapport with the young qb

Denote Thompson had almost exactly the same average yards per game with the Bills as Sammy Watkins had with the Rams. Thompson showed up in week 6 and had 100 yards in his first game here. What's Sammy's excuse?

38 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

FWIW, PFT is reporting from the same article that he's "expected" to be tagged:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/report-rams-expected-to-franchise-tag-sammy-watkins/

No, PFT is just reporting what the Rams beat writer tweeted. This would be like if Joe Buscaglia tweeted "I expect Dennison to be fired" and PFT made the headline "Bills OC expected to be fired."

Just so everyone understands this thread title is very misleading, here's exactly what the Rams beat writer said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0742879941456042973-4

Rams GM Les Snead spoke to the media for 40 minutes today. Some takeaways: 

Still expect S Lamarcus Joyner to get an extension and WR Sammy Watkins to get tagged.

He isn't reportedly getting tagged, he isn't expected to be tagged, that's just what the Rams version of Mike Rodak believes will happen.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Denote Thompson had almost exactly the same average yards per game with the Bills as Sammy Watkins had with the Rams. Thompson showed up in week 6 and had 100 yards in his first game here. What's Sammy's excuse?

No, PFT is just reporting what the Rams beat writer tweeted. This would be like if Joe Buscaglia tweeted "I expect Dennison to be fired" and PFT made the headline "Bills OC expected to be fired."

Just so everyone understands this thread title is very misleading, here's exactly what the Rams beat writer said:

He isn't reportedly getting tagged, he isn't expected to be tagged, that's just what the Rams version of Mike Rodak believes will happen.

I know what PFT based their report on; you apparently didn't read what I wrote, which is that PFT used the word "expected" when reporting the same article. And that's literally the headline of their post.

Pick your bones with PFT for their headline; I merely repeated their words with zero slant.

Also, regarding Deonte vs Sammy, context matters:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/deonte-thompson-wr/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/sammy-watkins/

The efficiency of the two players isn't even close 

Edited by thebandit27

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's nothing misleading about the title if you understand what the word reportedly means. Apparently you do not. 

43 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/report-rams-expected-to-franchise-tag-sammy-watkins/

And it's a smart move by the Rams.

He's 24, healthy, and extremely productive when targeted. They've got the cap room to give him a one-year deal to prove what he can do with an entire offseason with the team, so why not?

Gotta remember how the market moves. Davante Adams, who's never had a 1,000-yard season despite playing with Aaron Rodgers, just got $14.5M AAV.

Sammy exceeded Adams' best season in 9 games in 2015 playing with Tyrod Taylor in an offense that passes the ball less than every other team in the league 

His agent will have a case for $15M

Correct. Rams have a lot of flex in 2018 and at least they need to save face by keeping Sammy for at least 1 more year.   They will have a lot of tough choices in 2019 though, esp if Goff keeps playing well.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

From a talent standpoint Thompson is a pigmy compared to Watkins. Using a statistic from one game to make a comparison  between a marginal player and a talented player makes little sense. Deonte Thompson will be fortunate to make our roster next year let alone get much playing time. Watkins is going to be an integral player on a dynamic offensive team next year. My recommendation to you is not to allow your personal feelings about a player get in the way of objectively evaluating the player.  

Sean McVay's Season Wrap Presser: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Sean-McVay-Season-Wrap-Up-Press-Conference-1-7/b6c28a2b-751f-4a3d-9c71-b57868002d36

Listen to the question posed and McVay's in-depth answer with regard to how Watkins dictates coverage at 14:22 into the video.  He goes on to say how he creates opportunities for other Ram receivers and how they can use him better moving forward. 

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

From a talent standpoint Thompson is a pigmy compared to Watkins. Using a statistic from one game to make a comparison  between a marginal player and a talented player makes little sense. Deonte Thompson will be fortunate to make our roster next year let alone get much playing time. Watkins is going to be an integral player on a dynamic offensive team next year. My recommendation to you is not to allow your personal feelings about a player get in the way of objectively evaluating the player.  

No question Sammy is more talented than Deonte Thompson, that wasn't my point. Everyone keeps saying Sammy had low production because he showed up late, but he was there for a full season. Thompson showed up 6 weeks late and was able to get the same production per game that Sammy got. Sammy shouldn't be competing with a depth level player for production. For one reason or another he underperformed on the Rams, and it's not just because he wasn't there for training camp.

Just now, HappyDays said:

No question Sammy is more talented than Deonte Thompson, that wasn't my point. Everyone keeps saying Sammy had low production because he showed up late, but he was there for a full season. Thompson showed up 6 weeks late and was able to get the same production per game that Sammy got. Sammy shouldn't be competing with a depth level player for production. For one reason or another he underperformed on the Rams, and it's not just because he wasn't there for training camp.

Hmm? Who should we listen to as the authoritative source?  You and other detractors or the Rams' HC McVay? 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

i don't know why sammy's numbers were low, and he certainly has it in  him to put up monster stats, but the coming in too late excuse is just so weak.

• Like (+1) 1

I should also point out, this can majorly backfire for the Rams. One of the reasons I was ok with the Bills not picking up Sammy's option is that OBJ, Mike Evans and Bradin Cooks all will be coming up for contract. All have a much higher production history than Watkins. If I was the Rams, and I were serious about wanting to keep him, I would try to get at least a bridge contract. Maybe a two year deal designed with the expectation that you will rework it in offseason 2019 if things go well, and cut him loose if they don't.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Tag is higher. The fifth year option would’ve been 13.26 million for Watkins, and the franchise tag is 

16.2 million in 2018. 

So this further suggests that the Bills could've gotten a higher return if they had exercised the option - because the Rams would be getting Watkins under control for an additional year and saving $3M.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I know what PFT based their report on; you apparently didn't read what I wrote, which is that PFT used the word "expected" when reporting the same article. And that's literally the headline of their post.

Pick your bones with PFT for their headline; I merely repeated their words with zero slant.

Also, regarding Deonte vs Sammy, context matters:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/deonte-thompson-wr/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/sammy-watkins/

The efficiency of the two players isn't even close 

Has anyone ever told you two wrongs don't make a right?

44 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So this further suggests that the Bills could've gotten a higher return if they had exercised the option - because the Rams would be getting Watkins under control for an additional year and saving $3M.

Yes that is correct. Bills screwed up. Of course we don't know where Sammy was in his recovery at the time the option needed to be exercised  so can not fault them if they had questions if he was ever coming back again.

In hindsight a clear mistake.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-11-players-who-are-best-candidates-to-receive-franchise-tag-in-2018/ transition tag would be approx. 2.5 mill less per yr.

If I was Rams I would transition him. Let him and his agent do all the leg work on getting his current market value. Match whatever tender is submitted by another team and if the price is too high as the new offer will be trying to poison-pill the Rams cap by front loading a sign bonus etc etc.,  possibly eat the expected sign bonus/cap hit and trade him if return is high enough.

Of course if the sign bonus is crazy this could backfire and Rams would not be able to match and lose an asset. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sean McVay's Season Wrap Presser: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Sean-McVay-Season-Wrap-Up-Press-Conference-1-7/b6c28a2b-751f-4a3d-9c71-b57868002d36

Listen to the question posed and McVay's in-depth answer with regard to how Watkins dictates coverage at 14:22 into the video.  He goes on to say how he creates opportunities for other Ram receivers and how they can use him better moving forward. 

Someday some team will get their **** together and target the guy and get the results that can make a difference on the team win loss column better than using him as a decoy.

16 mill per year is way too much to pay a decoy. But if Rams find value in that so be it. Bills can jump on the talent they will nedd to cut then to fit him under cap.

Personally I would take a guy like M Goodwin and send him deep post and deep crossing routes to be my decoy for far less than Sammy would cost.

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

And it's a smart move by the Rams.

He's 24, healthy, and extremely productive when targeted. They've got the cap room to give him a one-year deal to prove what he can do with an entire offseason with the team, so why not?

Gotta remember how the market moves. Davante Adams, who's never had a 1,000-yard season despite playing with Aaron Rodgers, just got $14.5M AAV.

Sammy exceeded Adams' best season in 9 games in 2015 playing with Tyrod Taylor in an offense that passes the ball less than every other team in the league 

His agent will have a case for $15M

The Rams will decide if the “case” is meritorious but I find it hard to believe they will pay an as of yet unproven talent that kind of money.

The rams lost a 2nd round pick in the deal, and will either need another receiver via trade or draft.  The first pick will likely have to be a corner if they can't reach a deal with trumaine johnson, and they need to save a chunk of cap for aaron donald.  Donald's under contract but he most likely won't play unless he gets an extension.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The rams lost a 2nd round pick in the deal, and will either need another receiver via trade or draft.  The first pick will likely have to be a corner if they can't reach a deal with trumaine johnson, and they need to save a chunk of cap for aaron donald.  Donald's under contract but he most likely won't play unless he gets an extension.

Reynolds played well enough when Wood's was out that he could potentially be the third wideout there. Woods/Kupp/Reynolds, that's nothing to sneeze at with Gurley being such a force. 

The Rams have all the leverage here with Watkins, in afraid they will outdo themselves to try and justify the trade. They could let him go and keep/tag Johnson if need be.

Would you rather a dip in a solid WR group or lose your number 1 corner? It's an easy call.

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He'll play or lose a year of credit towards UFA.  

Just now, Commonsense said:

Reynolds played well enough when Wood's was out that he could potentially be the third wideout there. Woods/Kupp/Reynolds, that's nothing to sneeze at with Gurley being such a force. 

The Rams have all the leverage here with Watkins, in afraid they will outdo themselves to try and justify the trade. They could let him go and keep/tag Johnson if need be.

Would you rather a dip in a solid WR group or lose your number 1 corner? It's an easy call.

There's other CB's available, they might be able to get someone else.  Tagging Sammy is a strange choice with Donald's holdout looming.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He'll play or lose a year of credit towards UFA.  

Doesn't exactly set a precedent that you value your best player.  He'll likely play because the teams better when he's underpaid.  But 2019 is coming and he will likely not suit up under a franchise tag.