2018 Veteran QBs - the Mega Poll

Veteran QBs - Which One?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see the Bills target for 2018?

• Keep Tyrod (already signed; $$$)
    • Alex Smith (trade)
    • Kirk Cousins (free agent; $$$$)
    • Andy Dalton (trade)
    • AJ McCarron (free agent; $$)
    • Josh McCown (free agent; $$)
    • Chase Daniel (free agent; $)
    • Teddy Bridgewater (free agent; $$)
    • Case Keenum (free agent; $$$)
    • Sam Bradford (free agent; $$$)
    • Eli Manning (trade)
    • Matt Moore (free agent; $)

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Tyrod being our starter with a rookie on the bench is going to be a hard sell. We’d be calling for him to be benched the first time he checks down on 3rd and long or misses a wide open receiver. At this point, I think the relationship has run its course and it’s time for both sides to move on.

I don't understand why Taylor himself would want to be back.  In the last 2 seasons, we've benched him twice and cut his pay in half.

What else do the Bills need to do to let Taylor know the regime doesn't think very highly of him?  

I pick Alex Smith because he is a upgrade to TT and feel he could be a good 1 to 2 year fit as a rookie develops behind.  If Cousins could be gotten for less up front money and more of an incentive laden contract I would say yes!  He would be coming into a team that already believes and anyone who wants to win would probably get sucked into it or at least go with the flow.

AJ McCarron would be an interesting pickup.  Not sure our boy Nate is NFL potential.  Had the "deer in the headlights" look when called upon yesterday and promptly ended the Bills season with an INT.  That being the case, is Tyrod kept as a backup?

11 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

I'm a Bridgewater guy, like his game and he seems like a guy that will trust the process.

Cousins not a process guy.

Really?  Go read the recent article about him in SI.  He is very much a process guy.  Probably the biggest reason I see him as our starter next year.  He and McD are made for each other.

5 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

AJ McCarron would be an interesting pickup.  Not sure our boy Nate is NFL potential.  Had the "deer in the headlights" look when called upon yesterday and promptly ended the Bills season with an INT.  That being the case, is Tyrod kept as a backup?

How many backups would not have had the deer in the headlights look when called upon in that situation?

Peterman understands the mental aspect of the game, where his reads are, etc. fairly well for a young guy.  That ability should continue to improve.  It's whether he has the physical skills to make it as a starter.

• Like (+1) 1

The top 3 on the list are the only ones I'd be interested in paying what they will want/cost.

I believe that there is 0% chance of getting Cousins..........I could be wrong but with Washington actually working to sign him now I think the chances went from small to none.

Smith is a better fit for Dennison's offense and would be a longer bridge solution........he could play for 3 years.    He gets field blind in tense moments......see the Buffalo game where missed  a wide open Kelce TD opportunity at the end of first half and the late pick to 3D.......and he has absolutely choked with the better team multiple times in the playoffs.......most recently Saturday...........but *perhaps* a change of scenery would relieve some of that.    I can't imagine the Bills losing 6 straight home playoff games.   The pressure at home in KC is enormous.

It's possible that Taylor is the only one of the bunch that they can rationalize for the cost...........and if so........they better get a new X or Y (Martavis Byrant?) who can scare safeties out of the box and go back to a steady diet of deep balls and comebacks and a lot more inside zone and RPO's or it will be another underwhelming scoring year offensively.    

29 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Whoever the qb is...and assuming that the same coaching staff comes back....please for the love of god get a qb that fits what they are trying to do on offense.

Dont bring in talent and try to "make it work"

Read a defense.   Make a throw.     

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dunkirk Don the gawd !

I'm a big fan of Alex Smith. He's a veteran who's been in a ton of systems and has enough credibility to push back with an OC while not coming across as a "me first" guy. I don't think it would take too many picks away, which the team needs to fill a ton of holes.

I'd be alright with getting Alex Smith but no way I'm trading a 2nd round pick for him.  Reid got him for a 2nd rounder when he was 5 years younger.  Plus there's probably never been as many decent vet QB's that'll be available as this offseason.  They can have their 4th rounder back from the Ragland trade.  

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Agreed with the crowd backing "draft a QB regardless" and I think that goes for Cousins, Smith, Taylor, or Keenum. 

Yeah I would not do it if we got Cousins....

That would be a incredible amount of chedder wrapped up in QBs given how much Cousins would cost in salary and draft picks.....and this team didnt lose yesterday because of the QB

4 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Yeah I would not do it if we got Cousins....

That would be a incredible amount of chedder wrapped up in QBs given how much Cousins would cost in salary and draft picks.....and this team didnt lose yesterday because of the QB

Why not? Cousins is no surefire franchise QB. I would like to hedge our bets at the most important position. Plus, a drafted QB is not going to cost that much cheddar at all, from a pure salary cap standpoint, and is there not a chance that we would just sign Cousins and not have to trade? Worst case scenario, we really tried for a QB. Best case scenario, we're able to trade one for higher picks back. 

I like Taylor, but I think most on this board would disagree with that in bold. And that's not to say the OC is faultless, because I do not think he is and do think he should be replaced regardless. 

7 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Why not? Cousins is no surefire franchise QB. I would like to hedge our bets at the most important position. Plus, a drafted QB is not going to cost that much cheddar at all, from a pure salary cap standpoint, and is there not a chance that we would just sign Cousins and not have to trade? Worst case scenario, we really tried for a QB. Best case scenario, we're able to trade one for higher picks back. 

I like Taylor, but I think most on this board would disagree with that in bold. And that's not to say the OC is faultless, because I do not think he is and do think he should be replaced regardless. 

The other options being discussed are either up in age or injury prone....it makes sense to hedge your bet there

Cousins is going to cost so much in draft picks and coin that it would send a wrong message to the team....unless it was a VERY developmental guy and we already have that in Peterman

And no....we did not lose the game yesterday because of TT...the team lost it......remember that there were players that dropped balls, stepped out of bounds, allowed instant pressure up the middle of the field.....

it was a team loss.....so Tyrod gets his share of that blame...but he is not THE reason

13 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

I'm a Bridgewater guy, like his game and he seems like a guy that will trust the process.

Cousins not a process guy.

Anyone who selected Bridgewater might as well just opt for keeping Tyrod, being that Tyrod is the better player.

I'm aware of the injury history, but I chose Bradford.  He wouldn't break the bank.  When healthy, he's arguably the best option of the bunch and he's the perfect bridge QB until the 2018 rookie QB is ready to take over.

Edited by Chicken Boo

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

The other options being discussed are either up in age or injury prone....it makes sense to hedge your bet there

Cousins is going to cost so much in draft picks and coin that it would send a wrong message to the team....unless it was a VERY developmental guy and we already have that in Peterman

And no....we did not lose the game yesterday because of TT...the team lost it......remember that there were players that dropped balls, stepped out of bounds, allowed instant pressure up the middle of the field.....

it was a team loss.....so Tyrod gets his share of that blame...but he is not THE reason

Cousins is 30 in August and likely will not cost draft picks, just money. 

The wrong message to the team being? We want a franchise QB at any cost? There is competition at every position?

I like Taylor, and agree no one player is usually THE reason for a loss, but he was a prominent reason for the loss.