2018 Veteran QBs - the Mega Poll

Veteran QBs - Which One?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see the Bills target for 2018?

• Keep Tyrod (already signed; $$$)
    • Alex Smith (trade)
    • Kirk Cousins (free agent; $$$$)
    • Andy Dalton (trade)
    • AJ McCarron (free agent; $$)
    • Josh McCown (free agent; $$)
    • Chase Daniel (free agent; $)
    • Teddy Bridgewater (free agent; $$)
    • Case Keenum (free agent; $$$)
    • Sam Bradford (free agent; $$$)
    • Eli Manning (trade)
    • Matt Moore (free agent; $)

On 1/8/2018 at 1:02 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

AJ McCarron and a rookie is what I'm hoping for. The Bengals Bills connection is not only a Dalton TD pass and the playoff drought breaker. It's going to also be us signing AJ McCarron and him leading us to a super bowl.

I don’t understand why AJ McCarron and a rookie are better than Tyrod and a rookie.

I say go get a top veteran like Cousins, if possible, or stick with Tyrod and draft a QB in round 1. Other options I would look at are Sam Bradford and a dark horse, Andrew Luck.

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes. Our offense was terrible, we just put most of our blame in different places.

You (and many) put most of it on Taylor.

I put most of it on Dennison.

And no, that's not me saying I want a new OC and Taylor here long term and it's not me saying Taylor doesn't share a significant chunk of the blame for our offensive woes.

But what I seriously don't want is Dennison as the OC responsible for developing whoever we inevitably (yes, I think it's inevitable at this point) draft at QB in the 1st round.

But I do understand that the popular thing to do after a loss or after a disappointing season (which this season wasn't... but with some of the posts today, you'd never know) is to break out the torches and pitchforks, so have your fun.

You know with me it’s not just breaking out the pitchforks because it’s after a loss or end of season...I’ve been critical of Taylor for a long time now.

I know you’ve mentioned that you’re not pounding the table for him to be a long term...but I really think you want him for one more year.  I’ve seen a regression two years in a row and IMO....it would happen again next year regardless of OC.  He’s easy to gameplan against.  It’s not a secret how to do it.

Inside the pocket and him missing open WR is one of the worst I’ve ever seen in Buffalo.  It’s something you can’t fix, this is who is.  Very limited QB but is athletic.  When he’s bad, he’s horrible and it happens way too much.

On 1/8/2018 at 1:20 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would like to go the Seahawks route and sign a guy like AJ McCarron and draft a QB. Have Peterman, McCarron and the rookie fight it out in TC and use the cap savings to rebuild the O-line and D-Lines. 

Isn't McCarron a RFA at this point? I think I heard he filed a grievance of some kind because one of his years did not get accrued towards his time in the league?

If the plan is to draft a rookie in the first round with the understanding, up front, that he will eventually be the starter: There are numerous guys on that list I would take as one season place holders. The most important thing would be their ability to subjugate their own egos and mentor a “ Wonderkid”  as well as get along with the coaches. 

If the plan is, get a starter and rebuild the rest of the roster then Cousins is my guy, followed by Keenum. IMO they are the only two on this list who have demonstrated the ability to be a difference maker on a semi consistent basis. I didn’t call them world beater or “ Crown Da Ass” like Coach Greene said, just saying I believe with the right team around them a SB is not out of the question.

10 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I blame Dennison for calling an outside zone run in the Bills playoff game that resulted in a loss of 3 yards by Shady.

Just because Tyrod sucked, doesn't mean Dennison didn't suck.   Dennison sucks.   Time to move on.

who made Tay Tay decide what to do with the RO and pass to KB?   

1. there was a wide open guy on the right on a post route 
  2. all he had to do was leap the pile

So yeah, blame Dennison for TT's incompetence.   

Dennison Dennison Dennison !!! 

Lets ignore the RB playing QB.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

who checked out of the RO to pass the KB?   

1. there was a wide open guy on the right on a post route 
  2. all he had to do was leap the pile! 

So yeah, blame Dennison for TT's incompetence.   

I just blamed Dennison for Dennison's incompetence.  You didn't even reply to what I was talking about.

Reading comprehension is not your skill.    Go back to middle school and retake those English classes.:lol:

9 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I just blamed Dennison for Dennison's incompetence.  You didn't even reply to what I was talking about.

Reading comprehension is not your skill.    Go back to middle school and retake those English classes.:lol:

oh here we go with the reading comprehension crap again.    Did you comprehend what I said? 

The call on the first and goal was a RO by Dennison.    Who makes the decision once the play is called in?  Dennison or the poor excuse we have / had for a QB? 

Yes I blame Tyrod.   RO you run the damn ball 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

oh here we go with the reading comprehension crap again.    Did you comprehend what I said? 

The call on the first and goal was a RO by Dennison.    Who makes the decision once the play is called in?  Dennison or the poor excuse we have / had for a QB? 

Yes I blame Tyrod.   RO you run the damn ball 

:lol:    Even after I just pointed out that you didn't comprehend what was written, you read it again and still don't comprehend.   Try a 3rd time maybe?

I specifically blamed Dennison for calling a stretch zone running play in the game that went for -3 yards where Shady got tackled in the backfield.    

And said that is an example of why he is incompetent.   Because that result has been happening so often this year with that exact same play.

Then you quote me and start talking about Tyrod.   I wasn't talking about him or any play he made.   I specifically isolated Dennison where Tyrod was not involved.

Tyrod had zero to do with the zone running play I mentioned as the example why Dennison sucks.

You can't friggin read.   Go back to middle school until you can pass 8th grade.   :lol:

AJ McCarron and a rookie is what I'm hoping for. The Bengals Bills connection is not only a Dalton TD pass and the playoff drought breaker. It's going to also be us signing AJ McCarron and him leading us to a super bowl.

i mentioned this in another thread....hmmm may have been this one. idk, i just got up. i think this is would be a nice quiet deal for the fo to have all lined up. we give them tt, cordy and a second. i put tt in there because i would think they want that much more than a second and if we are going to trade tt, i believe we'll have to pay the 6mil., but i don't think it's that big a deal.

I’ve come around to this too. Could be a tremendous value, has a nice quick release and solid arm talent.

If you’re going journeyman bridge guy, while you draft the future, why not get the value one that won’t bankrupt the franchise, is only 27 and could even turn out as a solid guy in his own right? 

Scouting reports suggest hes a very good progression read guy. I’ve not seen the same about the others

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

:lol:    Even after I just pointed out that you didn't comprehend what was written, you read it again and still don't comprehend.   Try a 3rd time maybe?

I specifically blamed Dennison for calling a stretch zone running play in the game that went for -3 yards where Shady got tackled in the backfield.    

And said that is an example of why he is incompetent.   Because that result has been happening so often this year with that exact same play.

Then you quote me and start talking about Tyrod.   I wasn't talking about him or any play he made.   I specifically isolated Dennison where Tyrod was not involved.

Tyrod had zero to do with the zone running play I mentioned as the example why Dennison sucks.

You can't friggin read.   Go back to middle school until you can pass 8th grade.   :lol:

answer the question, or are you afraid that you can't?  

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think I’m sold on giving AJ McCarron a shot.  Any intel? 

55 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i mentioned this in another thread....hmmm may have been this one. idk, i just got up. i think this is would be a nice quiet deal for the fo to have all lined up. we give them tt, cordy and a second. i put tt in there because i would think they want that much more than a second and if we are going to trade tt, i believe we'll have to pay the 6mil., but i don't think it's that big a deal.

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve come around to this too. Could be a tremendous value, has a nice quick release and solid arm talent.

If you’re going journeyman bridge guy, while you draft the future, why not get the value one that won’t bankrupt the franchise, is only 27 and could even turn out as a solid guy in his own right? 

Scouting reports suggest hes a very good progression read guy. I’ve not seen the same about the others

What would make any of you think this guy is a good up and coming QB?

He can't beat out Dalton for a starting job.   He is not that good.    Better than Peterman probably.   Better than Tyrod probably.    Good enough, probably not.

He wasn't even a standout in college.   He was surrounded by the best talent in college and was just a meh kind of guy.  A game manager.

Bengals lost 3 out of 4 games he started/played most of the game in.

And the Bengals tried to trade him away last year but failed.   So it is obvious he isn't exactly pressuring Dalton for the starting QB position.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

answer the question, or are you afraid that you can't?  

You keep trying to change the subject because you just can't dare admit I was right.   Dennison took a great running game and made it worse.    Dennison took a bad passing game and made it even worse.

Seems very simple and logical to me.   Dude failed miserably at his job.   He sucks.   You just like making excuses.   Church of Dennison perhaps?  COD!  COD!  COD! :lol:

And that is if you compare him to Anthony Lynn and Greg Roman - not exactly two of the most elite offensive minds in the NFL.

Dennison = fail :thumbdown:

And I bet you he even knows it himself.

24 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

He can't beat out Dalton for a starting job.   He is not that good.    Better than Peterman probably.   Better than Tyrod probably.    Good enough, probably not.

He wasn't even a standout in college.   He was surrounded by the best talent in college and was just a meh kind of guy.  A game manager.

And the Bengals tried to trade him away last year but failed.   So it is obvious he isn't exactly pressuring Dalton for the starting QB position.

You keep trying to change the subject because you just can't dare admit I was right.   Dennison took a great running game and made it worse.    Dennison took a bad passing game and made it even worse.

Seems very simple and logical to me.   Dude failed miserably at his job.   He sucks.   You just like making excuses.   Church of Dennison perhaps?  COD!  COD!  COD! :lol:

And that is if you compare him to Anthony Lynn and Greg Roman - not exactly two of the most elite offensive minds in the NFL.

Dennison = fail :thumbdown:

And I bet you he even knows it himself.

Um...  actually went 2-1 as a starter and lost to the Super Bowl champs by a FG... but details..

yeah - don't love Dennison's work this year.  Moment of genius surrounded by much less than that as the norm. 

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Might happen. But what "relationship" are you referring to?

Between player and coach or player and fans?

If the former, I pretty much agree.

If the latter, I think a lot of people have been trying to analyze consistently what McDermott thinks and feels and has been trying to do and have frequently been very wrong.

Forgive me if I don't think the relationship between McDermott and Taylor is nearly as fractured as the media and public thinks.

By relationship I mean Tyrod and this organization. It’s clear McD is ready to move on from Tyrod as well otherwise he wouldn’t have been benched. If it weren’t for Peterman’s dreadfull performance than he might have started the rest of the year and this wouldn’t even be a question. Tyrod started out of necessity and not because I feel like McD had a change of heart. He’s also done nothing since being benched to convince anyone that he’s anything more than what he has shown.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

By relationship I mean Tyrod and this organization. It’s clear McD is ready to move on from Tyrod as well otherwise he wouldn’t have been benched. If it weren’t for Peterman’s dreadfull performance than he might have started the rest of the year and this wouldn’t even be a question. Tyrod started out of necessity and not because I feel like McD had a change of heart. He’s also done nothing since being benched to convince anyone that he’s anything more than what he has shown.

If it wasn't for the lack of quality QB's in 2017 FA I don't think they would have kept TT 

The new coaches usually want their own type of guys. 

3 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Well, you do have a point. I’m not at all high on McCarron. The failed trade to the Browns tells us a lot about how the Bengals valued him. Dalton only has one year left on his contract, but even with the Bengals out of contention they showed no interest in seeing what he could do. I’m afraid he fits into that Mike Glennon category: he’ll get a big salary from someone to serve as that bridge guy, but his new team will be ready to move on from him after about 6 games. Is there any reason to think he’d be better than, say, Chase Daniel? I say that not because I like Chase Daniel (I don’t) but because he’ll be the cheapo alternative. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Weird, I remember over the last couple weeks reading posts from you saying you thought Taylor should stick around next year as long as we draft a QB high.

Here, less than a week ago, you even say "Why wouldnt we just keep Tyrod instead of trading for Smith?" when someone proposed the idea of trading for Smith

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/200700-lets-go-titans/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-4811106

So, what happened?  Are you being like everyone else and consistently changing your tune based on singular games?

I understand this thread, the reactions in it and threads like it. 

Rochesterfan had a good post earlier in a thread yesterday about Tyrod commenting on the "two sides digging in" and everything, but the funny thing is, most of us over on the "pro-Tyrod" side, as we've been labelled, have said nothing more than that he's a capable NFL starting QB who we should actively seek to upgrade on this coming offseason.  It's certain posters in this thread and their ilk who are gathering over in the thread about Cornhole's comments yesterday regarding Tyrod being the "worst passer (he) has ever seen" who are resorting to sheer lunacy based on an overtly trollish statement.

Tyrod might be back with the Bills

Tyrod might not be back with the Bills.

If he's not cut by the 3rd or 4th league day, I absolutely expect the Bills will be open to and even actively try to wheel and deal him, especially as draft time approaches and the Bills try to move up in the draft.

What I'm going to disagree with is the relationship between Taylor and the organization.  I think, aside from anything anyone says about his playing ability, everyone would agree that Tyrod is the consummate professional and, to top it off, he loves his teammates, if not the city of Buffalo. 

I don't think Tyrod is going to be the one insisting on a trade.