Was Greg Roman actually a good OC?

Klaista2k

Roman definitely did a lot of things well.  I thought he was the best part of Rex's tenure. 

He didn't really handle game time decisions like play calling well, there were issues with plays getting in etc.  Also, his strength was mostly with running schemes which is not what most people want to do on offense.

Edited by Steve Billieve

32 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

yes rick dennison's playcalling can flat out suck.

but a good QB will make a play more often than not.

tyrod just isnt a good enough QB to cover for dennison's weaknesses.

Answer???

Move on from both......let Tyrod go to another team and frustrate the hell outa their fan base and let Dennison go to another team and coach the RB's....or whatever.

Go Bills

He is THE best run game coordinator in the game.  Not a single shadow of a doubt in my mind.  His passing game is relatively basic and not as coherent with his run scheme as it could be.  

He is also a ponderous play caller at times.  But in terms of scheme design he is ver, very good and if I were building a run first NFL offense he would be my very first hire.  

6 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Under Roman wasn't our offense statistically pretty good?

I know we were 1st in rushing and I think maybe 10th overall in offense? And that was WITH Tyrod as his quarterback... So do you think he was actually a pretty good OC or not?

He had his flaws--or was it the players that had their flaws--but I would certainly say he knew his personnel and developed the right system for the people he had.

Dennison, not so much.

He tried. It was good to see the rollouts yesterday, but every one of them was the same: Tyrod rolls right, and there is a short option and a deep option--not hard to defend those Rico. Call it age discrimination if you must, but the game has passed him by.

Edited by CSBill

Best running game coordinator in the NFL and his 2017 results in Baltimore prove that yet again.  But he can't call plays situationally, nor does he process things quickly enough to get the playcalls in on time.  He's a great coach Monday-Saturday.  Kinda like Coach Tuesday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Best running game coordinator in the NFL and his 2017 results in Baltimore prove that yet again.  But he can't call plays situationally, nor does he process things quickly enough to get the playcalls in on time.  He's a great coach Monday-Saturday.  Kinda like Coach Tuesday.

I agree with your observations on Roman. A great coach but not during live action. He definitely should have someone else do the playcalling. I see this in coaching all the time. Some coaches need more time to think, these coaches are more analytical in their approach and less "gut feeling" type guys. The best combination is to get the assistants to be the analytical type guys and the coordinator to be more emotionally sensitive to situational football. 

I think we are in a similar situation with Rico, but opposite. He is a feel coach that was trying to scheme up things but was over sensitive to the fact that Tyrod didn't see the open guys and he became a reflection of the talent he had behind center. I am in the minority that actually thinks that maybe a QB change and possibly a little help on the assistant side of coaching for our offense might be what we see from OBD this offseason. Watch the tape, you will see that in every game this year Tyrod missed open players on multiple plays. That is not the OC's fault.

7 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

Roman definitely did a lot of things well.  I thought he was the best part of Rex's tenure. 

He didn't really handle game time decisions like play calling well, there were issues with plays getting in etc.  Also, his strength was mostly with running schemes which is not what most people want to do on offense.

This is why I think he is not a good offensive coordinator.     He is an excellent run game designer.    But, he is a bad offensive coordinator.   There is more to the job than just figuring out how to design a run game.

8 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Under Roman wasn't our offense statistically pretty good?

I know we were 1st in rushing and I think maybe 10th overall in offense? And that was WITH Tyrod as his quarterback... So do you think he was actually a pretty good OC or not?

One of the best run schemes in the league

One of the worst pass schemes in the league.

I liked Greg Roman. I thought he was the fall guy for the last regime, and I liked Schwartz. If you have Schwartz and Roman together you have two good units.

I don't like to play this card, but if Russ Brandon is really the reason they got rex that guy should be fired. You think of all the people that have been the fall guy for him it's crazy.