A Few Thoughts About the Jags Game

Virgil

My first playoff game review and the last one of the season.  Today felt like a different game from the time I woke up and had a much different feeling when it was over.  I don't have the same defeated attitude nor am I terribly upset.  A part of me would rather lose a close game this week than a probable blow-out next week.  Maybe that's a defeatist attitude, but today was a bonus and the ultimate goal of ending the drought in a rebuilding year was accomplished.

1 - Tyrod - I'm just going to this out of the way now because I don't want to focus on the negatives too much.  Tyrod most likely played his last game for the Bills unless he's used as our bridge quarterback.  However, after this game, I don't even know if I'd bring him back for that.  I also don't know that he's going to have much trade value either.  Never mind the 3 total points he scored, but his inability to hit a pass more than 10 yards downfield has regressed the most of all his skills.  He missed a clear TD on the FG drive and Thompson deep on the final drive.  Both guys had a clear few steps and those throws need to be made.  He also threw two out routes short of the posts.  Overall, his entire game was a series of 5 yard passes and was never a thread to the Jags defense.  

Thank you for getting us to the playoffs Tyrod, but if they can find a better bridge quarterback or their guy in the draft, then it's time we part ways.  But first and foremost, thank you.

2 - Dennison - While TT can be blamed for a lot of missed throws, Dennison needs to take his share of the blame for calling plays that TT clearly can't make.  Has TT hit a single fade route all year?  Where's the WR screens?  TT may be limited, and I'm sure McDermott will watch all the game field to see if the plays were there and TT couldn't execute, but I think it's a combination of both.  Dennison should be on the way out as he wasn't the first choice and a truly uninspiring hire.  If we go QB in the draft, then we really need to get our guy to make sure our new QB can stay comfortable in a stable system.

3 - Refs - The Refs were not the reason we lost this game.  However, I'm just tired of seeing reviews go against the Bills.  The INT should have been overturned as the ball hit the ground twice as he rolled over it.  That's the kind of call that seems to keep going against the Bills, no matter what the play is on the field.  Also, maybe I need to read the rules again, but I'm surprised the tackle that knocked TT out of the game wasn't a penalty.  That was a full-on head lock and forced TT from the game.  If that's Brady, it's definitely a penalty.  Again, today was just for of the same with 5-/50 calls going against the Bills

4 - Thanks, that was fun
Don't forget, no regrets
Except maybe one
Made a deal not to feel

5 - Lorax - I haven't called Lorax out in my reviews at all this year, but he was the defensive MVP today.  Lorax was all over the field and blew up some plays in the backfield.  He shot the gap on a few plays and really did a fantastic job.  I would have liked to see more from him this season, but he showed up when he had to.

6 - Schmidt - Both punters did an amazing job switching fields today.  Schmidt only had one questionable punt where he seemed to be out on the field more than any other player.  I'd be curious to know if a record was broken for most punts downed inside the 20 in a playoff game.  

7 - Defensive Pressure - I finally got what I asked for going into a game.  We stacked 8 in the box, kept one safety deep, and really shut down the run and deep pass.  While against an inept offense, this was the defensive effort we needed today.  The stand after the tipped Int was HUGE as it kept a field goal off the board.  It's frustrating that the effort was wasted, but it created some optimism for me going forward.  If we can get a DT who can push the middle of the pocket, I think this goes back to being a top 5 defense. 

8 - Last two minutes of first half - Anyone else just know we were going to give up points?  The stupid penalty, the 3 and out, allowing Bortles to scramble....That was our most Billsy moment and to me killed our momentum the most.

9 - Secondary - In a game where Bortles had more rushing yards than passing, a big shout out goes to the secondary.  Almost every defensive back had a big play.  White better when DROY and I'm excited to have Poyer and Hyde together for the next few years.  Gaines will be the biggest defensive offseason question for the team, but I like what we've put together so far.

10 - McDermott - The Bills were ready for today, but the lack of talent on offense lost to a more talented defense.  Our defense was fantastic all game.  We shut down the run and pass while only giving up 10 points on the road in the playoffs.  You can complain about the Bortles scrambles, but to have everything else shut down, have multiple opportunities to win, is all you can ask for.  Any team would take 10 opposing points.  

Overall, I feel better about our Head Coach than I have any during the 17 year drought.  I have faith in what him and Beane will get done this offseason and expect to see evolution next season.  Thank you as well McDermott as you gave all of us one of our best weeks as a Bills fan.

Until next year guys, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 11

Bills should bring in two QBs, a vet and a project. No need to keep PEterman and of course TT is gone. Tyrod is a good guy, perfect backup QB but he shouldn't be back. 

Get a serious MLB. 

Get a pass rusher and a run stuffer. 

The above are easy to get and will immediately make the team better. Add in a few pieces like backup RB, a good #2 WR, right side of the line improvement and this team will be better next year. 

Today's game felt like house money. Part of me feels OK that I'm spared watching them lose by 30 to Brady. 

Offense was bad. Bortles runs were. frustrating as $#@.

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

This loss stop and ends with the QB play.    You cant nitpick around the edges but the QB pay was horrendous.

2 solid playoff teams without one NFL starting quality QB between them. At least Bortles realized that he was a disaster throwing the ball and just started pulling it down to run with it.

Time to move on from TT.  Thanks for some fun memories TT.  You’re a good dude and teammate. You gave it your all.  It just wasn’t good enough.  Not much else to say except don’t take it to us to hard in the future.  If bortles can run for 87 yards TT could get us for 150. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not a Tyrod hater but he was bad today outside that one drive.  His poor play, more than anything, cost us the game.  You're just not going to win a lot of playoff games scoring 3 points.  There were too many plays out there that Tyrod missed.  

Wish our OL played better too.

And while I'm not a big Rico fan, I'm not sure how much fault I want to hang on him in this one.  At some point, players need to make plays.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

When Bortles killed us with a scramble before the half, we should have planned to spy him the rest of the way. Make the adjustment at halftime. Once he started gaining yards running, he got his confidence and their offense became somewhat effective.

Spy him or figure out how to stop him from running and this is a different game. Bortles would have had to throw more and that probably would mean a turnover. Do that and run from the one yard line and we probably are on our way to New England. So frustrating. Especially since Bortles did the same thing to us last year.

Happy about our season but man I think we were some better coaching away from winning that game.

Thank you Virgil for giving us something to look forward to reading at the end of Bills games.

I think it's called a "cathartic moment" when you get to sum up all the weird crap we just witnessed

and put it in a place where we can leave it behind for awhile.

As far as my take on the game, it was the best of times, and the worst of times.

One of best games by the Defense this year.

They say everyone ramps up a notch for the playoffs, and this D did that.

It was the worst of times for the Offense, as they did their usual performance of starting the game strong,

before slowly but inevitably degenerating as the game wore on. So that by the end of the 4th quarter, with the game on the line..............

they just looked like the same over matched and confused team we've been watching for 18 years.

Time to crack open a Genny Cream ale and look forward to the up coming draft.

Peace.

Go Bills !

- The coaches really messed up the end of the half.  Not having an attitude to just punch it in from the 1 is one of my pet peeves.  For cripes sake you could have put in the Joe Webb Package and be prepared to run 4 QB sneaks and probably be guaranteed to score.  WTH - hand it off to Kyle a few times if you want to be cute.  Absolutely hate any throw there - as Romo said too, up the middle it was actually the weakness of their defense.  If you can't run for 1 yd in 4 downs you don't deserve to win regardless.  Then the mismanagement to let them get a FG.  Arg 

- What is more frustrating than to have a QB who can barely throw the ball (Romo constantly blaming 'the wind' for Bortles not even being able to  throw a spiral) run for so many yards - many on broken plays.   SOOO frustrating

- Speaking of pet peeves - HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE when team doesn't immediately line up and snap after questionable call before it can be reviewed.  I was screaming so loud on the Clay play as soon as I heard on the audio the Jags players say 'He stepped out!' for them to line up and snap it!!!   Line up and snap it!!!  LINE UP AND SNAP IT!!!!!!!!!!   AAAUUUGHHHHHHHHHH

- Consecutive playoff games against Jax that they knock our QB out of the season (and in this case as well, probably results in the last play in a Bills uniform)

- I don't buy into the Jax hype at all.   Their D acts like they are the '85 bears or something - they are not as good as they think they are.  This game even with our offensive ineptitude we still held the and moved the ball.  They quickly have become one of my least favorite teams, with Miserable Doug and a bunch of preening aholes on D and a horrrrrible QB.  I just want Pitt to stomp the life out of them

- Still glad we had such an amazing end to the season and actually have a playoff game.  I honestly tought we would win - even more frustrating the game was there for the taking.  So frustrating.  Arg  

- So back to normal playoff mode of just hoping for Cheater** loss.  So pissed they basically get a bye into the championship game.  I hate them

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

Agree on this loss - not as mind-numbing as others in the drought. 

But I knew that interception wasn't going to be over-turned as there was no conclusive evidence that it hit the ground. Figure the odds that the camera would see Clay step out of bounds in between two Jax players though....now THAT is sooooo Buffalo! 

Edited by Bacchus44

9 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Bills should bring in two QBs, a vet and a project. No need to keep PEterman and of course TT is gone. Tyrod is a good guy, perfect backup QB but he shouldn't be back. 

Get a serious MLB. 

Get a pass rusher and a run stuffer. 

The above are easy to get and will immediately make the team better. Add in a few pieces like backup RB, a good #2 WR, right side of the line improvement and this team will be better next year. 

Today's game felt like house money. Part of me feels OK that I'm spared watching them lose by 30 to Brady. 

Offense was bad. Bortles runs were. frustrating as $#@.

Pretty much sums it up.  We need 2 new LBs to pair with Milano.  Would’ve liked to see how he would’ve defended the TD Humber gave up.  Our speed at Lb is sad.  Brown played better at the end of the year but I still feel hes a liability out there  Lorax played his tail off today but I’d striclty play him on passing downs rushing the passer.  We need 2 guys to replace them 

2 new DTs and a pass rushing DE.  Resign Gaines and draft Leonard Johnson’s replacement at nickel.  Retain johnson as a 4th5th cb.

If we keep Cordy we need a RG and a eventual replacement for Ritchie. Another TE would be nice too.  O’Leary is ok but he really screwed us today.  BIG play he left on the field.  

Getting a Qb is gonna be tough though.  I believe, Rosen, mayfield, Allen and Jackson are all going before us. At 21.  The FO needs to make a move up or make a move on a legit FA qb. I really pray we don’t draft Mason Rudolph in the first round.  

25 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Tyrod has no trade value.  

I don't think he will be retained even as a bridge QB.

Probably no trade value.  Today really put an exclamation point on the idea that he's not the answer for the Bills or any other team as a starter. 

Someone could make a lot of money if they could figure out how to better develop QB's away from NFL teams.  The teams themselves just aren't that effective in doing that. 

Dennison gets too much hate, IMO. Is he a great play caller? Regarding timing of plays or adjustments, I think we could do better than him, no doubt. But he gets to much undeserved hate.

Today, he played to Tyrod's strenghts, calling roll outs, waggles and calling a couple of QB draws. People can hate him when Tolbert gets stuffed for a loss but they miss that the guy making the tackle for a loss beats a double team from our two best OL. (Richie and Wood)

If TT doesn't overthrow an open O'Leary in the endzone (down the seam) or a couple of plays later TT takes a milisecond more to beat a cover zero with Zay running a corner route, this game is totally different going the second half and we would hear nothing negative about our OC. 

I like TT, I have too much respect for his athletic abilities, but this team can't go forwards with him being the starter. We have seen enough from him. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Pretty much sums it up.  We need 2 new LBs to pair with Milano.  Would’ve liked to see how he would’ve defended the TD Humber gave up.  Our speed at Lb is sad.  Brown played better at the end of the year but I still feel hes a liability out there  Lorax played his tail off today but I’d striclty play him on passing downs rushing the passer.  We need 2 guys to replace them 

2 new DTs and a pass rushing DE.  Resign Gaines and draft Leonard Johnson’s replacement at nickel.  Retain johnson as a 4th5th cb.

If we keep Cordy we need a RG and a eventual replacement for Ritchie. Another TE would be nice too.  O’Leary is ok but he really screwed us today.  BIG play he left on the field.  

Getting a Qb is gonna be tough though.  I believe, Rosen, mayfield, Allen and Jackson are all going before us. At 21.  The FO needs to make a move up or make a move on a legit FA qb. I really pray we don’t draft Mason Rudolph in the first round.  

It's always tough to get it right on deciding on what to do at QB - however there's is many many options for us for the first time since I can remember.  At least as long as we we're 100% in the market.

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

My first playoff game review and the last one of the season.  Today felt like a different game from the time I woke up and had a much different feeling when it was over.  I don't have the same defeated attitude nor am I terribly upset.  A part of me would rather lose a close game this week than a probable blow-out next week.  Maybe that's a defeatist attitude, but today was a bonus and the ultimate goal of ending the drought in a rebuilding year was accomplished.

1 - Tyrod - I'm just going to this out of the way now because I don't want to focus on the negatives too much.  Tyrod most likely played his last game for the Bills unless he's used as our bridge quarterback.  However, after this game, I don't even know if I'd bring him back for that.  I also don't know that he's going to have much trade value either.  Never mind the 3 total points he scored, but his inability to hit a pass more than 10 yards downfield has regressed the most of all his skills.  He missed a clear TD on the FG drive and Thompson deep on the final drive.  Both guys had a clear few steps and those throws need to be made.  He also threw two out routes short of the posts.  Overall, his entire game was a series of 5 yard passes and was never a thread to the Jags defense.  

Thank you for getting us to the playoffs Tyrod, but if they can find a better bridge quarterback or their guy in the draft, then it's time we part ways.  But first and foremost, thank you.

2 - Dennison - While TT can be blamed for a lot of missed throws, Dennison needs to take his share of the blame for calling plays that TT clearly can't make.  Has TT hit a single fade route all year?  Where's the WR screens?  TT may be limited, and I'm sure McDermott will watch all the game field to see if the plays were there and TT couldn't execute, but I think it's a combination of both.  Dennison should be on the way out as he wasn't the first choice and a truly uninspiring hire.  If we go QB in the draft, then we really need to get our guy to make sure our new QB can stay comfortable in a stable system.

3 - Refs - The Refs were not the reason we lost this game.  However, I'm just tired of seeing reviews go against the Bills.  The INT should have been overturned as the ball hit the ground twice as he rolled over it.  That's the kind of call that seems to keep going against the Bills, no matter what the play is on the field.  Also, maybe I need to read the rules again, but I'm surprised the tackle that knocked TT out of the game wasn't a penalty.  That was a full-on head lock and forced TT from the game.  If that's Brady, it's definitely a penalty.  Again, today was just for of the same with 5-/50 calls going against the Bills

4 - Thanks, that was fun
Don't forget, no regrets
Except maybe one
Made a deal not to feel

5 - Lorax - I haven't called Lorax out in my reviews at all this year, but he was the defensive MVP today.  Lorax was all over the field and blew up some plays in the backfield.  He shot the gap on a few plays and really did a fantastic job.  I would have liked to see more from him this season, but he showed up when he had to.

6 - Schmidt - Both punters did an amazing job switching fields today.  Schmidt only had one questionable punt where he seemed to be out on the field more than any other player.  I'd be curious to know if a record was broken for most punts downed inside the 20 in a playoff game.  

7 - Defensive Pressure - I finally got what I asked for going into a game.  We stacked 8 in the box, kept one safety deep, and really shut down the run and deep pass.  While against an inept offense, this was the defensive effort we needed today.  The stand after the tipped Int was HUGE as it kept a field goal off the board.  It's frustrating that the effort was wasted, but it created some optimism for me going forward.  If we can get a DT who can push the middle of the pocket, I think this goes back to being a top 5 defense. 

8 - Last two minutes of first half - Anyone else just know we were going to give up points?  The stupid penalty, the 3 and out, allowing Bortles to scramble....That was our most Billsy moment and to me killed our momentum the most.

9 - Secondary - In a game where Bortles had more rushing yards than passing, a big shout out goes to the secondary.  Almost every defensive back had a big play.  White better when DROY and I'm excited to have Poyer and Hyde together for the next few years.  Gaines will be the biggest defensive offseason question for the team, but I like what we've put together so far.

10 - McDermott - The Bills were ready for today, but the lack of talent on offense lost to a more talented defense.  Our defense was fantastic all game.  We shut down the run and pass while only giving up 10 points on the road in the playoffs.  You can complain about the Bortles scrambles, but to have everything else shut down, have multiple opportunities to win, is all you can ask for.  Any team would take 10 opposing points.  

Overall, I feel better about our Head Coach than I have any during the 17 year drought.  I have faith in what him and Beane will get done this offseason and expect to see evolution next season.  Thank you as well McDermott as you gave all of us one of our best weeks as a Bills fan.

Until next year guys, 

Go Bills!!!

I know the Panthers would definitely take 10 points from the home team right about now...they are getting steamrolled by NO

Edited by matter2003