A Few Thoughts About the Jags Game

Virgil

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Absolutely to me the most critical mistake the Bills made all game given the time left, field position, and score.  It took the Bills 27 seconds to snap the ball rather than having the situational awareness to hurry up, line up, and run a play.  I thought it was over after that. 

Yep. They pulled it off once - the quick snap after the questionable spot gave them a first down - but then totally blew it on the second one where you pretty much knew a challenge was coming. Hard to understand how teams don't have some kind of "code red" call for that situation, getting everyone who was on the field for the last play lined up for a QB keeper or something.

• Like (+1) 1

VIRGIL

Why was nothing said about perhaps the worst group of WRs for a playoff game. Two horrid O

penalties, bad route running, and drops all over the place.

It seems like you are giving management a pass for getting rid of all the talent including WR.

With the season Goodwin had and Woods, Watkins 10 catches for 165 yds Saturday, we have

no #1 WR who is healthy to stay on the practice and playing field, which means no #1 WR.

My observations:

- The whole team looked a bit tight today - you could tell they weren't really ready for the big stage.  Dropped passes, missed blocks, mental errors on special teams - even the playcalling seemed tight and tentative.  That's ok.

- Tyrod treated the ball like it was a hot potato - he couldn't wait to get it out of his hand.  He never seemed locked into the game.  I've had this issue with him all year/career - he never seems to know what down and distance it is, where the playclock is at, whether he needs to hurry up and get the ball snapped to avert a challenge etc. - simply put, his situational awareness is awful and always has been.  I like that he's even keel, but it's a double-edge sword - he lacks that second gear that the great ones have.  He just doesn't have the fire or intensity you need to carry a team on your back.

- I need to call out a couple of guys who really sucked today.  Eric Wood was mostly garbage today - he may just be nearing the end of the line.  Zay Jones has not impressed me with a single play this season - he doesn't fight for the ball, his routes aren't crisp, he isn't a great blocker, basically he kind of just blows.  He seems happy to just be there.  I worry that he lacks compete.  Deonte Thompson is a nice story but man was he bad today - drops, bad routes, a terrible holding penalty.  Charles Clay needs to show up in games like this - he was invisible.  Hughes lost contain a bunch of times.

- Tre's dropped interception broke my heart.  He makes that play and they might find a way to win the game right there and then.  Plus it puts him in the driver's seat for DROY.  Ah well, I love the kid, he had a great season, I can't complain.

- Gotta hand it to the coaching and effort on the defensive side of the ball.  There were players in the rotation today whom I've never heard of (Hatley?) - there were multiple street free agents playing defensive line for the Bills today and they were winning battles up front.

- On offense, what can you say?  You wonder if McD has the vision or the stones to hit the reset button at BOTH QB and OC.  I'm not sure he does.  Both Tyrod and Dennison were overmatched on the big stage today, I just wonder if McD will hold his coaches accountable the way he holds his players accountable.  I'm betting not - I suspect Dennison gets retained, unfortunately.

- Overall, these guys overachieved relative to the talent they ended up with in December/January.  I hated the Watkins trade (could've used him today) and the Dareus trade made no sense to me in-season (why not wait?) - but they made the playoffs without any of those guys and vastly outplayed their talent level to get to this point.  It's a big season for The Process and The Program and it gives McD lots of institutional credibility when it comes to recruiting and developing players and coaches.  2017 was a success, overall, for the Buffalo Bills.

5 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

VIRGIL

Why was nothing said about perhaps the worst group of WRs for a playoff game. Two horrid O

penalties, bad route running, and drops all over the place.

It seems like you are giving management a pass for getting rid of all the talent including WR.

With the season Goodwin had and Woods, Watkins 10 catches for 165 yds Saturday, we have

no #1 WR who is healthy to stay on the practice and playing field, which means no #1 WR.

Why don't you say it, then?  You can add your own points you know, you don't need to critique the completeness of Virgil's... some of you folks are such weirdos...

• Like (+1) 1

Went to the game; here's a few thoughts:

1) There were a TON of Bills fans in that stadium, in every section...GREAT JOB by Bills fans to represent

2) For the whole game, there was a noticeable amount of empty seats, mainly in the Upper decks

3) On the 2nd to last drive for the Bills, it was an obvious Pass Interference on the Jags as the guy locked up the Bills arm early

4) On the last drive, the head tackle to TT could have easily been called as Unnecessary Roughness; I have seen other QBs get the call for less vicious hits

5) Speaking of TT, he cannot see open receivers (we knew that), but unlike other games, in this game, he wasn't able to get away and break off any decent runs (like Bortles did all day)

6) The Jags will likely get killed next week in Pitt; Big Ben will NOT miss open guys like TT

7) Another reason the Jags will get killed next week is that their Defense is Overrated.THE BILLS OUTGAINED THEM today, and EACH TEAM had two sacks.  So much for "Sacksonville." LOL

8) If the Bills could have stopped Bortles from running all over the place, they *might* have won

9) After the game, on the walk back to the car, I saw Daryl Talley.

ETA: Don't think that it would have mattered anyways, but after coming home and reviewing the DVR, the final INT should definitely have been overturned. There was more than enough evidence that showed the ball roliing around AND TOUCHING THE GROUND too. Even Jim and Tony saw that, and noted it. Not surprised though that the call didn't go the Bills way.

Edited by John in Jax
Words
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

7) Another reason the Jags will get killed next week is that their Defense is Overrated.

The Bills scored 3 points. TT was 17 for 37 with a pick and 2 sacks. As bad as the Bills offense was today, Jacksonville's looked worse and they still won. You making this statement is pretty ridiculous.

give me Smith / Bradford / Cousins / Bridgewater + 4 draft picks in the 1st 2 rounds.   Otherwise, we'll have to give up 4 draft picks to get one of the top 3 qbs who will need a couple years to settle in.  Can't blv Garappolo was taken with a 2nd rounder....wow.

Just now, SwagJag said:

The Bills scored 3 points. TT was 17 for 37 with a pick and 2 sacks. As bad as the Bills offense was today, Jacksonville's looked worse and they still won. You making this statement is pretty ridiculous.

LMAO

1) THE BILLS HAD MORE TOTAL YARDS GAINED THAN THE JAGS.

2) The TT pick should have been caught by a Bill, but unfortunately he couldn't handle a pass right at his numbers, and instead deflected it up in the air for an easy pic.

3) Tyrod was 17-37 because he sucks and cannot see the field....cannot see open receivers. Jags D had ZERO to do with that.

4) The Jags are going to get demolished by the Steelers next week.

Please GO AWAY AND GO BACK TO THE LOVEFEST IN THE JAGS FORUMS. Next week at this time the Jags will be losers, on a plane back to Cowford.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

5 - Lorax - I haven't called Lorax out in my reviews at all this year, but he was the defensive MVP today.  Lorax was all over the field and blew up some plays in the backfield.  He shot the gap on a few plays and really did a fantastic job.  I would have liked to see more from him this season, but he showed up when he had to.

Absolutely.

Lorenzo Alexander played his best game of the season today. It was great to see him step up in a big way today.

Too bad the offense could not reward him for his effort.

13 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

LMAO

1) THE BILLS HAD MORE TOTAL YARDS GAINED THAN THE JAGS.

2) The TT pick should have been caught by a Bill, but unfortunately he couldn't handle a pass right at his numbers, and instead deflected it up in the air for an easy pic.

3) Tyrod was 17-37 because he sucks and cannot see the field....cannot see open receivers. Jags D had ZERO to do with that.

Please GO AWAY AND GO BACK TO THE LOVEFEST IN THE JAGS FORUMS. Next week at this time the Jags will be losers, on a plane back to Cowford.

I simply pointed out that it is pretty ridiculous to call the Jags D overrated when they just took your lunch money. I get that your raw and emotional, but that is just a false statement. 

1) - You still lost. But the D is overrated..  okay.

2) - Watch it again and you can see the defender caused the receiver to not catch the ball.

3) - He was also under duress the whole game, but I know you don't like to give this defense credit.

4) - Maybe. But I've heard that before on this forum.

As for our team's flaws, they are glaring. If Blake Bortles was dropped off at the pound, I am not sure he would get adopted. I hope your fans that came to Jax enjoyed themselves. I will try not to lump your entire passionate fan base in with the hooligans that destroyed things at one of the bars that hosted you or the sour grapes crowd that destroyed things/set things on fire around the stadium after the game. Overall, I thought it was a well fought game by both teams. We may lose next week. We may win too. That's why we play the games. Congrats on a great season and please don't snag one of the QBs I covet in the draft next year. Because both of these teams are built for a run at the hardware with competent QB play.

Edited by SwagJag

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Here's a few thoughts.

Bills' wide receivers are really bad.

Tyrod has a limited skill set.

Bortles is atrocious.

Bortles is a lousy passer.  Dude can run though.  I was surprised by his speed.  That doesn't make him a good QB. 

Edited by keepthefaith

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Tyrod has no trade value.  

I don't think he will be retained even as a bridge QB.

After today TT has no value at all. Not even a 7th round pick. Let him go. Wish him the best.

3 hours ago, White Linen said:

We're not trading the house.  That's why I think Alex Smith on his one year deal - ridiculously cheap is the best option.  Gotta get lucky with drafting the right QB and the most I'd be willing to move is to the 12-15 pick range.  Similar to what the Chiefs did.  

I totally agree. Do NOT give up all these picks for Rosen. Move up to 15 if you have to but don't give up the 2nds. Rent A Smith for a year and keep drafting qbs every year. 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Time to move on from TT.  Thanks for some fun memories TT.  You’re a good dude and teammate. You gave it your all.  It just wasn’t good enough.  Not much else to say except don’t take it to us to hard in the future.  If bortles can run for 87 yards TT could get us for 150. 

Wouldn't that be an indictment on the Offensive Coaching Staff ??

39 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

After today TT has no value at all. Not even a 7th round pick. Let him go. Wish him the best.

I totally agree. Do NOT give up all these picks for Rosen. Move up to 15 if you have to but don't give up the 2nds. Rent A Smith for a year and keep drafting qbs every year. 

Alex Smith is NOT coming to Buffalo on a 1-year deal.  I surely can see a Vet savvy team like the Broncos picking him up at at least $10M a year for 3-4 years.   That solidifies their playoff path.   Arizona might go the same route by signing him.  There will be plenty of suitors for Alex Smith in this QB Deprived league.  Even TT will have a suitor. 

The team that is laughing all the way to the bank in the Off Season is the 49ers...They got their franchise QB for a 2nd round.  

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Wouldn't that be an indictment on the Offensive Coaching Staff ??

Alex Smith is NOT coming to Buffalo on a 1-year deal.  I surely can see a Vet savvy team like the Broncos picking him up at at least $10M a year for 3-4 years.   That solidifies their playoff path.   Arizona might go the same route by signing him.  There will be plenty of suitors for Alex Smith in this QB Deprived league.  Even TT will have a suitor. 

The team that is laughing all the way to the bank in the Off Season is the 49ers...They got their franchise QB for a 2nd round.  

He’s not coming to buffalo on a 1 year deal but would take 10 mill a year for 3-4 years  on the Broncos?  Pretty sure he’d play here for 17+ mill a year over the Broncos for 10.  He’s under contract for next season btw.  So if the bills traded for him, he’d be a Bills for one year and then possibly more

1 hour ago, SwagJag said:

That's like being proud of banging the school slut.  Slowing down our offense is something most teams have done this year

I loved the Bills effort today. They all showed up.

I am happy that this game was close, was winnable. I thought it was an exciting game. Was tired of hearing how the Bills would be blown right out of Florida.

That being said, Tyrod can't be here next year and neither should Dennison. It's time to finally take the next step and you need more from the QB and OC to keep going in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, John in Jax said:

What happened the last time Jax played in Pittsburgh?

I don't expect the Jags to win either but you never know.

Edited by PeterGriffin

Considering most thought the Bills were a 5 win team in September, I am happy with a playoff appearance and overall pleased with the game today except for the outcome.  Tyrod is a solid man with a great work ethic and strong leadership.  If his talent met his efforts he would be a HOF qb.  I think the time has come to bid farewell to TT.  We don't need JK2, we need someone as good as Orton or Fitz to bridge us to whoever we get in the draft or Peterman.  

This was the rebuilding year, I am excited for where this team seems to be going.

7 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Or maybe, just maybe, our OC is garbage and can't figure out how to run an effective screen play. 

What plays today did TT throw off target that cost our receiver a chance at YAC? 

Please!  Do you not watch the games, understand football or want the Bills to do well!?

Please just stop!