chicken wing help

The smaller the better IMO for homemade.  Don’t put too much in one batch.  First batch is usually a bit more than 10 minutes, I’d say closer to 14-15, but just keep an eye on them.  They should be golden brown and very crispy.

also, subsequent batches take less time.  

Don't crank the heat up too high that wont help.

With a small fryer, do go up to like 375, because it will drop to 350 (the temp you want) after adding the cold wings.

Dry off the wings and fry. 13 minutes at 350 for regular, 18 minutes for crispy. 

Wait/drain at least 3 minutes before tossing in sauce

Just now, Crayola64 said:

What do people do for their sauces?

i don’t mind franks red hot, and throwing in a hefty amount of Cajun seasoning and garlic salt.

Please no one mention ketchup

If you want to blow your mind, add some (about 30-40%) sweet red chili sauce to it.

I call it heavy sauce at the restaurant, amd people go crazy for it... I do the cajun too.

And don't forget fat (butter or oil)

18 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

The smaller the better IMO for homemade.  Don’t put too much in one batch.  First batch is usually a bit more than 10 minutes, I’d say closer to 14-15, but just keep an eye on them.  They should be golden brown and very crispy.

also, subsequent batches take less time.  

Not to call you out or anything... But subsequent batches will not cook faster, but will have the appearance of cookimg quicker. As long as the temp stays the same, cook times will remain consistent, but as the oil gets darker from chicken blood and water, they will be darker when cooked for the same amount of time.

Don't do more than ten at a time with a lot of oil.  Around 350-375 degrees.  And cook them till they float for a couple minutes.  That ensures you have crispy and not greasy wings.  And of course don't coat them with anything before frying. Usually takes about 6 min per batch, and you can keep them in a low heat oven (around 200 degrees) until all are dryer and ready for sauce.

For sauce go traditional.  Frank's with a little butter (not half sauce half butter like the directions on the Frank's bottle).  I add just a little honey.  And add straight cayenne pepper if you want to make suicide wings.

To sauce throw the wings into a pot with a cover, dump some sauce in,  shake to coat and voila.  I always serve with celery and blue cheese, and I serve garlic bread to soak up the sauce.

I usually go about 15 - 18 minutes for crispy then coat them with straight Frank's Red Hot then a few more minutes to cook the sauce in (5 minutes) then serve with a bottle of Frank's for those that like a good wet coating on the crispy wings. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

i don’t mind franks red hot, and throwing in a hefty amount of Cajun seasoning and garlic salt.

Simple.  Franks, butter, Worcestershire, and dried basil.  I do old bay dusted for the kids, and they love them.

41 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

that should do it. i jack the temp a little higher like 385,  but i got a new air fryer that i'm getting the hang of.

edit: the above posters are right in that 15 for crispy.

How do you like the air fryer?  I have been thinking about getting one.

24 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Franks red hot and butter is usually what I do.

Once in a while I add in some "open pit" barbecue sauce to the franks and butter. Gives it a nice flavor (if you like open pit) 

41 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

since i can never do them all in one batch, i shake them in a big pan of sauce them put them on foil on a cookie sheet. throw them in the oven at 225. they end up perfect. not too sloppy.

This is the way I do it. Fry, drain, sauce, oven, re-sauce.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

i love it mostly because of not having to buy a gallon of oil every time as well as the mess. it works great ,but i found i need to let the wings thaw a bit first. that works best. the other thing if you are buying one, buy the biggest capacity that you can.

for instance, mine is like a 2.2 qt and does 10 wings at a time well. there are some models that i've seen that are 3.75 qt.

my deep fryer is small so i couldn't really do more than 10 at a time with that. i love the air fryer. you can do so many different things with it.

1 minute ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

This is the way I do it. Fry, drain, sauce, oven, re-sauce.

yep and do the steak fries last.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

that should do it. i jack the temp a little higher like 385,  but i got a new air fryer that i'm getting the hang of.

edit: the above posters are right in that 15 for crispy.

How well do those air fryers work? I've read good reviews and not so good.

Do they actually get things nice and crispy? Are the wings anything like what a nice and well done, crispy wing is like out of a deep fryer? 

What about fries? Comparable to deep fried crispy fries at all?

Or is it closer to oven baked? 

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i love it mostly because of not having to buy a gallon of oil every time as well as the mess. it works great ,but i found i need to let the wings thaw a bit first. that works best. the other thing if you are buying one, buy the biggest capacity that you can.

for instance, mine is like a 2.2 qt and does 10 wings at a time well. there are some models that i've seen that are 3.75 qt.

my deep fryer is small so i couldn't really do more than 10 at a time with that. i love the air fryer. you can do so many different things with it.

yep and do the steak fries last.

Awesome thanks for the input.  I love fries but I hate having to buy oil so if it works good for wings and fries I'm sold.

53 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I always cook them longer than that.  If you like crispy wings, I think you will be looking at more like 15 minutes depending on how much temp you lose when you put the wings in.  Just eyeball it.  When they look nice and crispy, they are done.

Slightly lower temp but slightly longer cook. The secret of great Buffalo wings.

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

How well do those air fryers work? I've read good reviews and not so good.

Do they actually get things nice and crispy? Are the wings anything like what a nice and well done, crispy wing is like out of a deep fryer? 

What about fries? Comparable to deep fried crispy fries at all?

Or is it closer to oven baked? 

the wings come out just fine. i put them partially thawed in a big bowl and lightly coat them with a little olive oil or regular oil.

same thing if i make my own fries, they come out perfect.

frozen fries are fine, just take a little less time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

the wings come out just fine. i put them partially thawed in a big bowl and lightly coat them with a little olive oil or regular oil.

same thing if i make my own fries, they come out perfect.

frozen fries are fine, just take a little less time.

Thanks man.

are they comparable to deep fried wings/fries? 

Or are they more like oven baked fries would be? 

Edited by BillsFan4

they are very comparable to the deep fryer or i wouldn't use it that's for sure. actually when you get the timing down, there's no difference. sometimes you might have to go 20 mins. a batch, but hey it's set it and forget it.

like i said i haven't even scratched the surface with how many things you can do with it. i marinated chicken breasts once and they came out just as good as i could have done them on the grill......not the smoker, but the grill.

Edited by billsredneck1

Just to chime in - I made Buffalo wings tonight here in Bangkok, Thailand for our pregame tailgate. Deep fried in a wok at about 370F for about 13 minutes. Tossed in traditional sauce (Franks, butter, worcestershire, garlic, cayenne, salt), then onto the grill for a couple minutes per side to bake in the sauce and dry them up a bit. Extra sauce served on the side.

Go Bills!

chickenwings.jpg

36 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Air fryer is a marketing ploy. It's convection.

That said, convection makes pretty good wings. I even cook them straight from frozen (if IQF) in the convection oven.

11 minutes ago, macnmotion said:

Just to chime in - I made Buffalo wings tonight here in Bangkok, Thailand for our pregame tailgate. Deep fried in a wok at about 370F for about 13 minutes. Tossed in traditional sauce (Franks, butter, worcestershire, garlic, cayenne, salt), then onto the grill for a couple minutes per side to bake in the sauce and dry them up a bit. Extra sauce served on the side.

Go Bills!

chickenwings.jpg

Looking tasty!

1 minute ago, Shotgunner said:

Air fryer is a marketing ploy. It's convection.

That said, convection makes pretty good wings. I even cook them straight from frozen (if IQF) in the convection oven.

Thanks.  Ill buy one and try it out soon

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Cook them until they float at least. I always cook them 5-10 mins longer

This is spot on, once they all float go at least 5 mins longer. So many restaurants cannot get this right outside of WNY.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't know why, but there is something heart-warming about this thread for me. I am liking it a lot.

Plus I have learned a lot about cooking chicken wings from the Best!

Thanks to all for such a fun game day thread.

Billy, Billy!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1