Rapaport: Expects Whaley to interview for GM job in GB

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

General Manager is beyond is capability. He may be a solid director of pro personnel, though.

I think Director Player Personnel or Director Pro Personnel is the right level to go back in for Doug. 

I suspect the teams interviewing him for GM are thinking about him in that regard. Two of the guys Brandon Beane hired here were candidates for the job he got. I think Whaley ending up in Green Bay is quite possible. Whaley ending up there as GM is less likely.

Although there is suddenly a trend for retread GMs which was very rare previously. 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think many people question him as a talent evaluator or personnel. It’s all the other stuff. 

Yep. 

1 - is he a good enough communicator;

2 - is he a good enough leader;

3 - is he a vision guy? Does he know what kind of team he sees himself building? 

I think around the league there is more sympathy for him getting landed with the Fat Clown than fans here appreciate. Nobody I have spoken to with any knowledge of the league anywhere thinks Doug Whaley wanted to hire Rex. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Whaley should absolutely get a shot. 

He should walk in the room and say “Sheppard for Hughes, Kiko for Lesean” mic drop and walk out. 

For all the things people didn’t like, Sammy, EJ, Dareus contract etc etc.. He basically brought in a cornerstone for offense and defense and got them for NOTHING. 

He built talented teams here that could win. 

Having Rodgers there for a few more years I think he could build a helluva defense real quick there and have them back to the super bowl 

• Like (+1) 2

As much hate as Doug Whaley gets he definitely had his strength. He is a decent drafter. Not the best not the worst. He is terrible in press conferences and being in the public. However he is amazing at finding talents in free agency that most overlook. He would be an absolute terrific Director of Pro Personnel

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. 

1 - is he a good enough communicator;

2 - is he a good enough leader;

3 - is he a vision guy? Does he know what kind of team he sees himself building? 

I think around the league there is more sympathy for him getting landed with the Fat Clown than fans here appreciate. Nobody I have spoken to with any knowledge of the league anywhere thinks Doug Whaley wanted to hire Rex. 

His three main problems were

A) Didn't have a clear vision and plan of action.

B) Didn't know how to properly value talent

C) Was unable to sell himself enough to ownership to have more control

56 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

General Manager is beyond is capability. He may be a solid director of pro personnel, though.

He built TWO rosters for the Bills, for Marrone and for Ryan, brought in a ton of pro FAs who've contributed, and oversaw the most recent draft. His draft picks are all over the NFL, most doing just fine. And still some people think GM is beyond his capabilities. I wonder why that is?

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Big C said:

Whaley is an excellent scout but his roster building skills were suspect. I think he deserves another chance somewhere, maybe a slightly lesser position and then work his way back to GM. With all the instability at HC and the ownership change in his tenure I do think it's fair to say he wasn't to blame for everything that went wrong. 

Id say our rosters the last 3 years under Whaley are Better than this year's one.  He never got to pick his head coach.

i think Whaley is a ton better than he will ever been credit for. Our best player was acquired by an amazing Whaley trade.  A lot of his players are playing key roles on playoff teams.  Lots of people improved with a second chance.

again, it's all about the end result.  I whole heartedly believe the 2014 team is much better than this one.  Except that year, 9-7 wasn't a 4 way tie for the last playoff spot, Whaley gets thought of much different of the year make the playoffs that year.

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

D) he didn't get to pick a head Coach and had a clown who loved feet forced on him which completely destroyed the foundation of a playoff team.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Built a top 5 defense, top 5 special teams and top 10 offense during his time. Unfortunately, not all 3 in the same season.

11 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don't agree on B. I do on A and C. 

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Whaley is an excellent scout but his roster building skills were suspect. I think he deserves another chance somewhere, maybe a slightly lesser position and then work his way back to GM. With all the instability at HC and the ownership change in his tenure I do think it's fair to say he wasn't to blame for everything that went wrong. 

Except the coach switching schemes made it nearly impossible to rebuild that soon.   He gave us a heck of a defensive team, IMO.  

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I whole heartedly believe the 2014 team is much better than this one.  Except that year, 9-7 wasn't a 4 way tie for the last playoff spot, Whaley gets thought of much different of the year make the playoffs that year.

D) he didn't get to pick a head Coach and had a clown who loved feet forced on him which completely destroyed the foundation of a playoff team.

I think the 2014 was a little better but that team had its warts too. The offensive line was a mess (maybe the worst guard play I have ever seen from Williams, Urbik, Pears and Richardson) and once CJ went down we had nothing at running back and of course we started the year with EJ at QB. 

The team that was definitely more talented was 2015. That roster was stacked. The best Bills roster I have seen in my 15 years. Other than maybe linebacker and safety there was depth everywhere. It wasn't Doug's fault we hired a clown to waste it. 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Id say our rosters the last 3 years under Whaley are Better than this year's one.  He never got to pick his head coach.

i think Whaley is a ton better than he will ever been credit for. Our best player was acquired by an amazing Whaley trade.  A lot of his players are playing key roles on playoff teams.  Lots of people improved with a second chance.

again, it's all about the end result.  I whole heartedly believe the 2014 team is much better than this one.  Except that year, 9-7 wasn't a 4 way tie for the last playoff spot, Whaley gets thought of much different of the year make the playoffs that year.

You can chalk that under C, he wasn't able to sell himself and vision to the ownership.  That's what good GM's do