ESPN Insider: EJ Gaines Will Get Paid More Than You Think in 2018

26CornerBlitz

Bills are 7-3 when he starts, hopefully he changes his diet or something. The guy is perfect for this system, but he seems to be really fragile. 

2017 16 Knee Questionable
2017 10 Hamstring Questionable
2017 9 Hamstring Out
2017 8 Hamstring Out
2017 7 Groin Questionable
2017 5 Groin Questionable

Three different kind of injuries listed this year. I really not sure, how he and his agent can spin this. I'd like him back, but he's a zone corner with an injury history, a lot of soft tissue injuries at that. 

SEASON WEEK DESCRIPTION STATUS
2017 16 Knee Questionable
2017 10 Hamstring Questionable
2017 9 Hamstring Out
2017 8 Hamstring Out
2017 7 Groin Questionable
2017 5 Groin Questionable
2016 15 Thigh Doubtful
2016 14 Thigh Questionable
2016 3 Thigh Questionable
2016 2 Thigh Out
2016 1 Thigh Out
2015 Preseason Foot Day-To-Day
2014 17 Concussion Doubtful
2014 13 Knee Probable
2014 10 Knee Probable
Edited by Captain Murica

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He's been a reliable part of Buffalo's secondary?  When he's healthy enough to play, Gaines is very good; but I wouldn't call him reliable.  I'd like to keep EJ, but wouldn't break the bank for him.  Another CB is needed and hopefully we can find a good one in the draft.

We're 7-3 when he plays.

WHEN he plays. 

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The guy gets hurt EVERY SINGLE GAME.... I'm surprised there isn't more outrage about that considering the ridiculous over the top and exaggerated criticism of Sammy Watkins injuries. 

I think the Sammy hate around here had more to do about his "lil jobs" comment. People were way too sensitive about that. 

I was thinking the same thing

He'll get paid somewhere. I hope this regime is creating an atmosphere in which players wanna be here. That seems to be like *the* main focus of the turnaround, creating a locker room with players that have similar mentalities. Do your job, team first, win games, etc. We've seen that they aren't going to have players concerned about personal stats or big money contracts. If Gaines fits that mold and they value him highly enough, hopefully they'll work something out, because as several peeps have pointed out already, the defense is better when he's on the field. His injury issues will be a talking point once negotiations start. If they don't sign him, I'm sure they have a few other guys targeted that could be just as good, if not better. McDermott had two late-round rookies during his final year in Carolina. Early in the year they were getting torched but as the season went on they got better and now this season both of them have played very well in more or less the same system. 

If he gets $9.7million from someone else I'd say good luck to him.  In the $6-8m region I would absolutely bring him back.  I was a fan before the Bills traded for him and I said when everyone was focussed on the pick don't sleep on EJ Gaines - this dude can play.  Yes, his proneness for injury is a worry, but I think McDermott and co will believe that an offseason in their strength and conditioning programme can assist with that.  

I'd have no interest in bringing Jordan Matthews back unless he is one of those guys who sits out there until the FA splurge is over and you can get him for a couple of million dollars.  I don't think that is likely.... but it isn't impossible either.  

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

That would be ideal but the issue is contending with a team(s) that may not put that language in an offer.

I'm hopeful but don't have high expectations with him.  If he stays and is healthy, makes the Watkins deal look a heck of a lot better.  He's a solid corner when healthy and only 25