What we've learned about McDermott & Beane from this season

Dr. K

7 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Our personnel decisions haven't been amazing.

Every single player we traded is on a division winner. If they didn't have the so-called DNA for a team that's likely missing the playoffs, why do they for these other teams? 

Pretty aggravating watching Darby with a game ending pick 6 while we still have no answer for who can step up when Gaines is not available, which is all the freaking time.  

Post review: Not a pick 6, but likely will end the game. 

You're an idiot if you think the former bills are the reason those teams are going to the playoffs.

Hell, darby didn't even play most of the year.

12 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

McVay has a first overall QB surrounded by years of high draft picks...

Who was worse than EJ Manuel as a rookie and then we handed them a former #4 overall wr and Woods.

SM is a dime a dozen coach. Nothing special,  nothing terrible. That said, I think he could be successful here but he has way too much power for his coaching ability.  Obviously I can't prove it, but I believe the Bills are easily in the playoffs with Sammy and Dareus.  this was a garbage conference and the Bills had a great chance to make the playoffs.  

39 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Whats the negative about? Wasnt this team primed to go 4-12 this season. Weren’t we tanking???

You're along to adjust your views when you watch the season play out. The AFC was a tire fire this year. It was complete garbage. The Raiders looked to be SB contenders. The Broncos could be playoff contenders with a decent qb.  The Ravens are going to make the playoffs with god awful qb play. The Titans have a shot and their qb has thrown more ints than tds. Miami had to play crappy Jay Cutler. The Chiefs had a 5 game losing streak.

we aren't going to see an AFC this bad for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who was worse than EJ Manuel as a rookie and then we handed them a former #4 overall wr and Woods.

Sammy and Woods are taking a back seat to Kupp, Gurley and Austin. I think Goff was so bad because Fisher was one of the worst coaches in the entire league. Like I said, they have so much talent, they just needed a coach to put it all together. 

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

Sammy and Woods are taking a back seat to Kupp, Gurley and Austin. I think Goff was so bad because Fisher was one of the worst coaches in the entire league. Like I said, they have so much talent, they just needed a coach to put it all together. 

Sammy I s the reason Woods and Kupp get so open and the reason Gurley has a lot more room to run.

julio Jones doesn't need to have 150 yards every game to have an impact on games. Getting Sammy was huge for the Rams.

37 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

When did Austin get in front of Sammy/Woods ? 

You took it too far.     He has 10 catches this season. 

Kupp is open because of Sammy, Gurley, and Woods as well.  

Edited by Teddy KGB

12 hours ago, Magox said:

The team is playing above their talent level.

The collection of players we have right now should be a 4-12 to 6-10 team.   All the prognosticators thought that's where we'd be and that was even before we had traded the all-world decoy Sammy Watkins, underperformer Dareus and the legendary JAG in our back up running back Williams.

Lol at all world decoy

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

You're an idiot if you think the former bills are the reason those teams are going to the playoffs.

Hell, darby didn't even play most of the year.

I'm an idiot? Your reading comprehension is at a 4th grade level buddy. 

Try again sweetie. Don't twist my words.

Edited by Elite Poster

Solid first year for McD.  The team is prepared and focused.  The performance on field is usually good considering these factors:

1.  No down field passing threat with Tyrod

2.  Right side of OL is poor 

3.  Very limited talent at wr

4.  No back up RB

5.  Defensive Front seven play versus run is very poor

6. No pass rush 

Some game day on field decisions were  questionable no doubt, you can say that for most coaches.   

Overall B+.  The overall team has played better than the individual talent would indicate.   

Trading Dareus iat mid season and not securing a solid backup for McCoy are the biggest errors by McD and Beane so far.  

16 hours ago, klos63 said:

Starting Peterman was a huge mistake. You only get one of those.

You only get one mistake?

Firstly, I don't think it was a mistake.

Secondly, if anyone in any job or team could make one mistake they would be scared to make them.  You need to make mistakes to learn from.  That's how you get good!  

15 hours ago, Sweats said:

You know what i've learned?...........our HC and GM are learning as they go.

Isn't that exactly what we're looking for from a professional franchise when determining player management?

Aye Carumba

One of many things I like about McD is that I believe he IS learning and will get better.  Some other coaches don't have those abilities.  I think it is a positive.  He does the work, studying, self reflection and tries to learn and get better.  

16 minutes ago, Manther said:

You only get one mistake?

Firstly, I don't think it was a mistake.

Secondly, if anyone in any job or team could make one mistake they would be scared to make them.  You need to make mistakes to learn from.  That's how you get good!  

One of many things I like about McD is that I believe he IS learning and will get better.  Some other coaches don't have those abilities.  I think it is a positive.  He does the work, studying, self reflection and tries to learn and get better.  

You only get one 'huge' mistake like that. IMO

17 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I think the "McJauron" nonsense stems from the simple fact that he is a rookie coach. 

His defense is soft at times and plays bend don't break. But other than the 2 times they played the Pats* (Which considering the Pats* offense isn't the worst strategy) I don't think the defense was aggressively bend don't break. They played aggressively and executed well a lot of games, and the games they played poorly stemmed from the team just playing bad, not necessarily a bad strategy

Game management is one thing I honestly think he can improve upon with more experience and a full evaluation of his season. There are coaches like Andy Reid that never improved but it seems like there are some that do improve. 

Management is one thing I honestly think he can improve upon with more experience and a full evaluation of his season. I also think dumping the Offensive Coordinator is a must. The play calling and design of the offense is terrible. Tyrod might not be a franchise guy but he honestly can perform better than he has. 

Overall I am more optimistic about McD than I have any Bills coach in recent memory. If he learns from his rookie year and they make the right personnel moves in the off-season I don't think 10 or more wins is unrealistic esp given the load of draft choices they are working with. 

On 12/25/2017 at 7:50 PM, klos63 said:

jesus christ MAJ, give it a rest will you. You know a lot about the game, but your obsession and repetitive posts about TT are getting old, we understand how you feel about him, you've made your point clear.

If you can't admit to giving someone his first start that ends up with 5 first half INT's didn't work, you are blind.

It didnt work sure. But it wasnt a mistake and it was very easy to see why he tried it. And it doesnt matter anyway who was QB they were not winning that game. 

Also that game is not the reason they will miss the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Solid first year for McD.  The team is prepared and focused.  The performance on field is usually good considering these factors:

1.  No down field passing threat with Tyrod

2.  Right side of OL is poor 

3.  Very limited talent at wr

4.  No back up RB

5.  Defensive Front seven play versus run is very poor

6. No pass rush 

Some game day on field decisions were  questionable no doubt, you can say that for most coaches.   

Overall B+.  The overall team has played better than the individual talent would indicate.   

Trading Dareus iat mid season and not securing a solid backup for McCoy are the biggest errors by McD and Beane so far.  

Dareus was a cancer in the coaching staffs eyes . They gave him away for next to nothing to move that bloated piece of garbage. Cadet in my estimation was a solid mid season pickup. Obviously he got hurt this week and is lost for the remainder of the season. My only criticism was trading Ragland for a 4th next year. Thought we should keep him hoping for development.