What we've learned about McDermott & Beane from this season

Dr. K

37 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It didnt work sure. But it wasnt a mistake and it was very easy to see why he tried it. And it doesnt matter anyway who was QB they were not winning that game. 

Also that game is not the reason they will miss the playoffs. 

If it wasn't a mistake to start him, why didn't he start the next game?

10 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I liked it, even in hindsight. Took a lot of guts to make a move like that. To your point, you can’t “miss” too many times when you swing like that, but glad he tried to swing for the fences. 

or poor judgement. A fine line perhaps.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I liked it, even in hindsight. Took a lot of guts to make a move like that. To your point, you can’t “miss” too many times when you swing like that, but glad he tried to swing for the fences. 

I agree that starting Peterman was justified even if it did not work out. I am nowhere near as upset about that as I am about the fact that McD has put his faith in Tolbert--repeatedly, in the face of evidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I agree that starting Peterman was justified even if it did not work out. I am nowhere near as upset about that as I am about the fact that McD has put his faith in Tolbert--repeatedly, in the face of evidence. 

Agreed. The love affair with Tolbert is bizarre. He seems to grow fatter and slower each week too.

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

If it wasn't a mistake to start him, why didn't he start the next game?

or poor judgement. A fine line perhaps.

He went back to a safe QB instead of the rookie that could be destroyed with another bad game like that. 

Its fine once Taylor is Holding a clipboard for another team you have your new place to cheer for 

On 12/25/2017 at 7:45 PM, moshermw said:

281 yesterday.

158 in a half that day - and no picks.

At least gave the Bills an even chance.

Why do I even bite on these..

And after half yesterday?

his second half against MiA?

his Carolina Game?

Bengals?

one more game one more game 

Edited by MAJBobby

On 12/26/2017 at 6:58 AM, joesixpack said:

You're an idiot if you think the former bills are the reason those teams are going to the playoffs.

Hell, darby didn't even play most of the year.

i keep reading that, and it drives me nuts.  i think woods, (who i'm really happy for) and goodwin have really been the only ones to make solid contributions.  ex-bills are playoff bound because playoff bound team, with far more talent, have picked them up as more final pieces of the puzzle.  i just don't think guys like watkins, gilmore and dareus have done much to help their new teams get into the playoffs, (i know dareus is a different scenario).

on top of all of this, people keep acting like this roster is a final product.  a lot is going to happen this draft and FA, so i think it's just too hard to make any real conclusion about this staff until after the offseason, and even that's early.

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

My take; Beane has brought more to the table from his experience than McDermott has with 20 years.

It seems like you're implying there is a dichotomy between Beane and McDermott, which I do not think is the case.  Beane was an understudy to Gettleman, and not the actual GM in Carolina, while McDermott was the DC.

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He went back to a safe QB instead of the rookie that could be destroyed with another bad game like that. 

Its fine once Taylor is Holding a clipboard for another team you have your new place to cheer for 

his Carolina Game?

Bengals?

But it wasn't a mistake- Come on.

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

his Carolina Game?

Bengals?

You're just being stupid now.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Dr.Sack said:

If they strike out, I doubt Pegula waits for things to turn past 2019. Pegula give Beane & McDermott 2018 to find & develop a QB. That gives them 2019 possibly 2020 to start competing for the playoffs. 

I don’t mean to alarm you, but the Bills are “competing for the playoffs” in 2017.

Edited by mannc

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I said it was a mistake. But i also said it was very easy to see why thy took the chance. 56 yards passing in the Modern NFL 

No you didn't.  

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

It didnt work sure. But it wasnt a mistake and it was very easy to see why he tried it.

Edited by klos63

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

My take; Beane has brought more to the table from his experience than McDermott has with 20 years.

I'd say both are representative of their respective jobs. HC's are immediately under the gun during their first season because their big decisions are on-field. They typically are fired before the GM and as a result they're in win-now mode from the start.

Most GM's enjoy a little more latitude because their job is almost all off-field. They're focused primarily on the long haul where the HC may not be. At least as much.

Still, I would hope the HC and GM by virtue of their common history together would understand where the other is coming from. There shouldn't be surprises about what the other one wants to do schematically and personnel-wise. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

No you didn't.  

It didnt work sure. But it wasnt a mistake and it was very easy to see why he tried it.

No you didn't.  

Ok i said it didnt work my bad. Point remains you can easily see why they made the change 

Anyone still holding on to the premise it was not a mistake, probably are also explaining the punt vs. Indy in OT and FG vs. NE last week were the right decision.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok i said it didnt work my bad. Point remains you can easily see why they made the change 

I was a ridiculous move with no chance of success......  A first round pick that you want to be the future and are easing into the lineup (ala Eli Manning) maybe......  But not a crucial game vs. a team you may fighting a playoff position against.

This defies logic and we saw the results.