If Taylor finishes season strong, do we build around him/Dennison?

JerseyBills

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think Tyrod is gone after this year.  Tyrod is a great athlete, but McDermott and Dennison want a better passer who primarily works out of the pocket, anticipates route timing, throws with anticipation, and reads opposing defenses, which is not Tyrod's strength.

You mean a guy who can play QB?

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-bad-pass-percentage/2016/

Quarterback Bad Pass Percentage measures the percentage of a quartebacks pass attempts that were considered to be poorly thrown (otherwise known as un-catchable) and leads to an incompleted pass. 

Bad Pass % = badly thrown passes/pass attempts

image.thumb.png.a524226a25e8c41ec90e0e000583215d.png

image.thumb.png.c8cc8dbbf81d3d9276058911788d61a8.png

The fewest passes in the NFL 3 years running (passing) and 19.95 %  are not catchable. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

This is what happened last season.  He played a couple of decent games at the end of the year and everyone was on the Tyrod train.  "Draft defense and he will get us into the playoffs", "the light has come on", "he isn't the problem".  

The truth us Tyrod is still what he was year one.  His season by season performances actually deviate very little.  He will have spells where he plays good football (he particularly seems to enjoy playing the Dolphins for some reason) and games where he really struggles to move the offense.  And when you strip the context and the other factors away that is still the truth you are left with.  He is a serviceable, capable NFL starting Quarterback.  What he isn't is a guy who will ever give you a chance to be a contender.  Could he have that one year where it all clicks with a good supporting cast - "the Keenum effect" - yes he could.  But you have to play the percentages and drafting around him to hope for the lightening in a bottle type season is not a sensible approach. Even despite the difficulty in finding a true franchise QB the odds of that are greater than the lightening in a bottle.  

Tyrod was not THE problem in 2015 or 2016..... he hasn't been THE problem in 2017 either.  But his play does not raise the level of those around him and when that is what you are saying about your Quarterback it is A problem.  

I have no problem at all with keeping Tyrod for the final year of his deal in 2018 as the bridge / backup to your rookie Quarterback.  I don't think either side has much of an appetite for that to happen though. Tyrod probably feels like he has played well enough to have the opportunity to start for a different team in 2018 who don't see him as a sitting duck.... but the teams rumoured to be interested last summer were the teams we all knew were going to be bad - Cleveland, Chicago, Denver, New York Jets..... I suspect the market for him looks similar this offseason too.  That might still be preferable to Tyrod than being here as the sitting duck for a staff, fanbase and organisation that doesn't truly believe in him in 2018.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-bad-pass-percentage/2016/

Quarterback Bad Pass Percentage measures the percentage of a quartebacks pass attempts that were considered to be poorly thrown (otherwise known as un-catchable) and leads to an incompleted pass. 

Bad Pass % = badly thrown passes/pass attempts

image.thumb.png.a524226a25e8c41ec90e0e000583215d.png

image.thumb.png.c8cc8dbbf81d3d9276058911788d61a8.png

The fewest passes in the NFL 3 years running (passing) and 19.95 %  are not catchable. 

Those are all drops from zay jones, come on!

Edited by Pbomb
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

This is what happened last season.  He played a couple of decent games at the end of the year and everyone was on the Tyrod train.  "Draft defense and he will get us into the playoffs", "the light has come on", "he isn't the problem".  

The truth us Tyrod is still what he was year one.  His season by season performances actually deviate very little.  He will have spells where he plays good football (he particularly seems to enjoy playing the Dolphins for some reason) and games where he really struggles to move the offense.  And when you strip the context and the other factors away that is still the truth you are left with.  He is a serviceable, capable NFL starting Quarterback.  What he isn't is a guy who will ever give you a chance to be a contender.  Could he have that one year where it all clicks with a good supporting cast - "the Keenum effect" - yes he could.  But you have to play the percentages and drafting around him to hope for the lightening in a bottle type season is not a sensible approach. Even despite the difficulty in finding a true franchise QB the odds of that are greater than the lightening in a bottle.  

Tyrod was not THE problem in 2015 or 2016..... he hasn't been THE problem in 2017 either.  But his play does not raise the level of those around him and when that is what you are saying about your Quarterback it is A problem.  

I have no problem at all with keeping Tyrod for the final year of his deal in 2018 as the bridge / backup to your rookie Quarterback.  I don't think either side has much of an appetite for that to happen though. Tyrod probably feels like he has played well enough to have the opportunity to start for a different team in 2018 who don't see him as a sitting duck.... but the teams rumoured to be interested last summer were the teams we all knew were going to be bad - Cleveland, Chicago, Denver, New York Jets..... I suspect the market for him looks similar this offseason too.  That might still be preferable to Tyrod than being here as the sitting duck for a staff, fanbase and organisation that doesn't truly believe in him in 2018.  

He isn't a problem nor is he the solution, hence we need a better QB. I'd love if we could some how land Rosen but that's highly unlikely unless Cleveland again passes on a QB.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

I agree with the idea of building a team with all the picks as opposed to moving up on a QB who may or may not work out.  But personally I'd prefer you go with Peterman next year, and draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round

Sorry as good decent as TT has looked some games including this week, 2 games of under 70 yards and a couple others where he was totally ineffective says he's not the answer. 

This morning ESPN was talking about a can't miss upcoming this off-season FA lineman, don't recal\l the name, but he's a guard from Carolina.  Maybe the Carolina connection will come through again.

Zay should have made that play Sunday.  Was a bad drop.  The passing game execution in the 2nd half was definitely not all on Tyrod.  Ducasse missed a huge block that led to a massive sack, Zay had a poor drop, Deonte ran what looked to be a wrong route and Tyrod missed Clay with a throw I think he should make.  If those 4 plays are made I think the perception of the 2nd half offense is very different.  

3 hours ago, westerndecline said:

Id still.argue b7ffalo is extremely dangerous in a playoff scenario.

A dynamic running qb two huge wrs and nothing to lose is not something id want to face....

This isnt best of 7

Like the way you think. Nice change from the mostly negative from people here. 

We certainly have a punchers chance if we make the playoffs. I wouldn't be totally surprised if we win one. 

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

This morning ESPN was talking about a can't miss upcoming this off-season FA lineman, don't recal\l the name, but he's a guard from Carolina.  Maybe the Carolina connection will come through again.

Andrew Norwell.  He will be super expensive.  Not sure I see them going that route.  I would not hate it if they did mind you.  If you are going to go with Dion as your starting LT in 2018 then having Norwell next to him would be a huge help.  Flip Richie to RG and then find yourself a RT somewhere in the draft you could have a top 5 o-line.  

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Zay should have made that play Sunday.  Was a bad drop.  The passing game execution in the 2nd half was definitely not all on Tyrod.  Ducasse missed a huge block that led to a massive sack, Zay had a poor drop, Deonte ran what looked to be a wrong route and Tyrod missed Clay with a throw I think he should make.  If those 4 plays are made I think the perception of the 2nd half offense is very different.  

Looking at the play by play Zay had 2 passes thrown to him.   One was defensed well and yes he should have gotten it.  The other was overthrown. 

TT was sharp in the first have passing decisively.  Then reverted back to his norm int he 2nd half.   

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

You must love average football 

I think it's clear that McD/Beane want to move on from TT, at least from my perspective.   If it were calling the shots, I would say that the jury is still out.   If this team could win out and make it to the playoffs then I believe you retain TT another year while drafting another QB.   If we win one more and miss the playoffs, then I think you drop him and let Peterman and the QB you draft duke it out for the starting QB next year or you pick up a quality FA QB like Cousins.  If you win one and lose one and make the playoffs, I think you have to then evaluate his playoff game as a pretty big determinant as to what happens to his future as a Bill.