If Taylor finishes season strong, do we build around him/Dennison?

JerseyBills

3 hours ago, offyourocker said:

Can we stop the non sense.  The guy does not throw the ball.  They would never have acquired Benjamin if they had any thought of keeping Tyrod.  I love the him as a team player but he is a good backup.  

If they (TT and Rico) consistently produced performances like Sunday's first half, it would be worth giving them more time.  Unfortunately we've seen too many like the 2nd half with little reason to believe it would improve.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

No. And it isn't happening. It's over. 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

AGAIN? How many threads does this need?

Barring an amazing two games by him here, Taylor is probably gone.  We all wanted him to be the franchise quarterback , but it's been pretty clear for a while now his weaknesses make it unlikely he'll ever be a top tier quarterback despite being able to do some things maybe only Russell Wilson can do.  I'm guessing Dennison follows him out the door.  I could see us signing someone like Bradford and drafting a QB.  

7 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

They are drafting a qb rd 1 regardless of how far buffalo goes.... Jmo

Probably.  Starting Peterman against SD kind of tipped their hand.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Barring an amazing two games by him here, Taylor is probably gone.  We all wanted him to be the franchise quarterback , but it's been pretty clear for a while now his weaknesses make it unlikely he'll ever be a top tier quarterback despite being able to do some things maybe only Russell Wilson can do.  I'm guessing Dennison follows him out the door.  I could see us signing someone like Bradford and drafting a QB.  

Probably.  Starting Peterman against SD kind of tipped their hand.

Dont be suprised if they also keep tt and still draft a qb rd1 too

In fact thts what i think they will do

• Like (+1) 2

If we don't go to the playoffs, he's gone. If the Ravens win out, we're done for and their last 2 games should be VERY winnable. Colts next and the nosediving Bengals at home. The Bills will be challenged just to win in Miami, IMO. I think our odds of winning at Foxboro are 1:20 at best. The good news is that this roster will receive a major upgrade after the regular season if Mr. Beane is any better than his last 2 predecessors. I really, really hope he's our next top tier GM. It's been far too long.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

They are drafting a qb rd 1 regardless of how far buffalo goes.... Jmo

agree.  I think the plan has always been the plan.  trust the process.  QB will be drafted in the spring no matter what happens this year.   TT is not a guy who can deliver wins against top 10 teams .. he needs tremendous play around him, he does a lot of good things, but the NFL is geared now for the QB to determine the fate of a team over the course of a whole season, IMO

they look around and TT is just their best option for winning games this year, this game.   and frankly, that's how they'll look at QB next year as well;  they look at what they have and who's available and decide who gives them the best opportunity to win that week , that year

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

Dont be suprised if they also keep tt and still draft a qb rd1 too

In fact thts what i think they will do

I think it also depends who it is. If they trade up and get a guy they think can benefit from getting off to a fast start or they unexpectedly land a great QB by other means, I could see him being dealt on draft weekend or whenever. This will be our busiest offseason in at least a generation. I'm excited.

Edited by GreggTX

There's a couple things that have to happen if Tyrod wants to remain a Bill and get a big contract.

1. He has to play great these last two games and lead the team to 10-6.

2. He needs to drive this team deep into the playoffs, and atleast reach the afc championship.

if he can't do that, then there is no use in keeping him.

He needs to play like his life depends on a win in a foxboro. He needs to take a big step, and soon. 

I don't want him to be the qb anymore if they dont beat the patties and only back into the playoffs  

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

What if he looks as poised and confident as he did this week? What if he gets us in the dance? One might presume him and Rico finally established how to get the most out of his game, they're only going on game 13 where Dennison is scheming for Taylor. If he shows the confidence and poise he did this week, I don't think it'd be so easy to move on..

Again, this is hypothetical but he looked as comfortable as he did all year, by alot, if he shows that in the next 2+ games, you can have a strong argument in his favor. 

Which half of last week?

And there lies the problem. 

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

If we don't go to the playoffs, he's gone. If the Ravens win out, we're done for and their last 2 games should be VERY winnable. Colts next and the nosediving Bengals at home. The Bills will be challenged just to win in Miami, IMO. I think our odds of winning at Foxboro are 1:20 at best. The good news is that this roster will receive a major upgrade after the regular season if Mr. Beane is any better than his last 2 predecessors. I really, really hope he's our next top tier GM. It's been far too long.

What about the Titans losing out and SD losing one,  those are the teams we are battling with not Baltimore.

I broached this topic yesterday  

This data is from a year ago (but I don't think much has changed wrt TT's passing) 

Top 5 highest uncatchable throw %

Tyrod Taylor (24.35%)

It was countered with a comparison to Tom Brady who throws more than twice as much as TT and as we see often throws the ball away on purpose to avoid sacks and with help from the Refs avoids intentional grounding.  Thoughts?