Could The Bills have kicked snow back over the FG spot The Colts cleared?

BuffaloRush

I was listening the Bills post game coverage on WGR and an interesting question popped up.  Toward the end of the game the Colts had worked together to kick snow off of the area that Vinitierri was getting ready to kick from.  The question was brought up, could the Bills defenders have gone over and kicked the snow back onto the area they cleared without penalty.  Honestly, I have no idea what the rules are in that situations.  I suppose you could say it's like a player trying to sneak over in their opponent's huddle?  But I don't know.

It certainly is an interesting scenario which only plays out every few years.  The hosts on WGR (the guys that come after Schoop and the Bulldog) seemed pretty young and didn't knpw what would happen.  Curious is anyone know the official rule.  Can a defense kick snow back on the spot opponents have cleared?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

What if the Colts lined up and caught the Bills for encroachment. 

Nope - this was after the clock was stopped.  The Colts had called a time out.  You can't run a play during a timeout.  I'm telling you this is one interesting scenario.  Would not be surprised to see a team try to kick the snow back on the spot as a strategy. 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I was thinking the same. Was worried that the refs would call an unsportsmanlike penalty for something like that.

Yeah but can they?  I'm not sure if they could in that situation

• Like (+1) 1

My biggest issue was they kept resetting the play clock. The Colts 3 times cleared spots for Vinatieri. As they are sweeping the snow, the ref kept resetting it....I was like No, you have 40 seconds to get the play off regardless of the playing conditions. You want to clear the field you should have to call timeout or kick it within the 40 seconds

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah but can they?  I'm not sure if they could in that situation

Unsportsmanlike is such a vague / gray area. I am sure they could have arguably done that.

i was actually thinking during the game that the grounds crew should have come out and blow snow all over the area. Can’t penalize them!! 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Unsportsmanlike is such a vague / gray area. I am sure they could have arguably done that.

i was actually thinking during the game that the grounds crew should have come out and blow snow all over the area. Can’t penalize them!! 

Right that's what I'm saying.  Home field advantage. 

What made me the angriest was when the colts had guys from the sideline who weren’t even players in there kicking snow away, and the refs ran over to get them off the friend. I kinda felt like that was worth a penalty and I’m surprised we didn’t see more people freakin out over that 

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The reverse snowplow from NE MIA some years back

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What made me the angriest was when the colts had guys from the sideline who weren’t even players in there kicking snow away, and the refs ran over to get them off the friend. I kinda felt like that was worth a penalty and I’m surprised we didn’t see more people freakin out over that 

So you mean during the Time Out, the trainers, waterboys, etc... Were clearing a spot?

5 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I’m surprised the players didn’t grab a shovel from the field crew or one of their blowers

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I was also having a rage fit for a minute when I saw this.

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

This should have been a 15 yard bench penalty, McCoach was going nuts and the officials went and broke it up.

As for the OP, our players did the same thing on our XP. McD was yelling from the sideline bc it was just Hauch and Schmidt clearing snow. McD made a kicking motion and all

our guys started kicking snow. It was quite a scene.

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

My biggest issue was they kept resetting the play clock. The Colts 3 times cleared spots for Vinatieri. As they are sweeping the snow, the ref kept resetting it....I was like No, you have 40 seconds to get the play off regardless of the playing conditions. You want to clear the field you should have to call timeout or kick it within the 40 seconds

This. I was extremely upset before the last second attempt in the 4th quarter, when the Colts had no time outs. They had 40 seconds to get the play off and they were down to about 10 and then Brad Allen reset the play clock! I was sorta mad at that, and I still don't know why that happened. Also, McD was also asking why they reset the play clock after the miss. He was extremely upset.

Tre White 100% kicked snow back into the spot they were trying to clear, right after the refs kicked the water boys/trainers off the field for trying to clear the spot...LOVE Tre White, and this is just more of a reason to do so

As far as the legality of both teams trying to remove snow while the other kicks it back? I would think there isnt even an NFL rule regarding the topic...but now I am going to try to do some research on it