Should Bills pass on Draft Prospects that

MAJBobby

Skip their Bowl Games?  What is your opinion of this is there an argument that can be made to pass on them?

Mine is these top end players should skip. Example what happens to Mayfield if he destroys his knee after being off the football field for a couple weeks on the Awards circuit?

or Barkley goes all Chubb and demolishes his knee?

IMO they owe the schools nothing at this point are risking their future so the Schools and Conferences can bank one last money grab and for what a gift bag?

Edited by MAJBobby

I don't see how this could help them or be viewed as a good thing.  I get the injury angle but the downside is how they'd be viewed by prospective teams.  

In addition, these players play against inferior teams a decent amount of time and playing well in a bowl against better competition is sometimes how decisions on players are made.  It's more important for them to show out.

32 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I don't see how this could help them or be viewed as a good thing.  I get the injury angle but the downside is how they'd be viewed by prospective teams.  

In addition, these players play against inferior teams a decent amount of time and playing well in a bowl against better competition is sometimes how decisions on players are made.  It's more important for them to show out.

I dont buy that actually. So it is important on how Josh Rosen looks in the  Catus Bowl against Kansas St?

so if he skips that Bowl game does he take a hit from teams? (He actually might because he is the QB ans his comments against the NCAA actually)

Of course not!! I’d encourage guys to skip their bowl games. 

48 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Skip their Bowl Games?  What is your opinion of this is there an argument that can be made to pass on them?

Mine is these top end players should skip. Example what happens to Mayfield if he destroys his knee after being off the football field for a couple weeks on the Awards circuit?

IMO they owe the schools nothing at this point are risking their future so the Schools and Conferences can bank one last money grab and for what a gift bag?

Agreed (unless you are in the playoff). I get it then.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I dont buy that actually. So it is important on how Josh Rosen looks in the  Catus Bowl against Kansas St?

so if he skips that Bowl game does he take a hit from teams? (He actually might because he is the QB ans his comments against the NCAA actually)

Yes it actually is, IMO.

Bet your butt Mayfield needs to play in that game.  At his height he better show what he'll look like against the best NCAA has to offer.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Just wondering, is this an issue, or are you just curious in case it happens?

33 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Yes it actually is, IMO.

Bet your butt Mayfield needs to play in that game.  At his height he better show what he'll look like against the best NCAA has to offer.

Baker should 100% play, but that's a National Championship he has to play for. Rosen? I don't think it hurts his top 2 chances if he doesn't play and it would kill his chances if he went out and got seriously hurt. 

Its football. Injuries happen

people said  Luck should skip his entire RS JR year and then enter the draft 

Baker doesn't have much to lose by playing. He is a late first - early second round guy. If he blows out his knee he will still go top 2-3 rounds

Jaylon smith did nerve damage to his knee and was still taken in the second 

The plain truth is,  the skipping of bowl games is not going to hurt the draftability of draft prospects.  As a GM, I wouldn't figure into my draft board in the east whether or not a prospect plays in or skips his college's bowl game.  I don't like to see the skipping though.  I understand the risk issues, but it the "me" attitude is pervasive in society and threatens a lot of things that have been very good for a long time.

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

It didn't hurt Fournette or McCaffrey when they skipped their bowl games last year. Both guys went top 8. 

Missing one bowl game doesn't make 24-48 games of film go away. These kids have millions of dollars on the line. While I'd personally rather them play, I most certainly understand when they decide not to. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

If they thought they were no worse than a third round pick, there is no way they should play a Bowl game unless it is the playoff.  The players put enough on tape to be evaluated.  If the school pays for the insurance policy, maybe they should consider playing.  There is just too much to risk and little up-side.  

2 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

yep.  Mayfield is too short for the NFL. I want 6-3 or better.  

Oh 6'3 is the threshold? Russ Wilson, Drew Brees, Dak Prescott and Aaron Rodgers say hi

• Like (+1) 1

Well don't forget McDermott and Beane are culture guys so this will mean passing on plenty of good talents because of work ethic, character concerns. 

We will see how far they get..my guess is not very. It's a coaches job to make players buy in....obviously this is asking too much.