Dion Dawkins Standing Out Now

I rewatched the offensive series in the Pats game.   The kid had flashes early this season, but he's really settled into that LT spot.  Did anyone notice how far downfield he was throwing his guys on some of those run plays?  That's freakish strength.

He’s come on strong the past four weeks, surrendering just nine pressures over his last four games while looking nasty in the run game. He ended the day with just one hit and two hurries allowed.   This kid is already very good, can't wait until the experience starts kicking in.

So far, Tredavious, Zay, Milano and Dawkins all look like they were good picks.     

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

Disagree on Zay, so far at least.  Here’s hoping he comes around!

Zay has gotten way better since the bye week. Gotta remember he is playing out of position as a Flanker too. He is a split end or slot guy. We need to add a true Flanker this off-season. Move Zay to slot and let Matthews walk.

I wish Cordy could magically get healthy and Dawkins could comfortably replace Mills, but I think it’s more likely we move on from Cordy and his contract and Dawkins stays at LT. I also think Zay will be fine given time and a productive overall offense around him. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I wish Cordy could magically get healthy and Dawkins could comfortably replace Mills, but I think it’s more likely we move on from Cordy and his contract and Dawkins stays at LT. I also think Zay will be fine given time and a productive overall offense around him. 

Cordy has the longest running "day to day" injury in history. I think if he ever does play they might stick him at RT and see what he can do there. Zay has improved a lot from the first few weeks of drops

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The weakest spot on our OL is center. Wood cannot stay balanced to block, and either can't read the scheme or doesn't know who to blcok.

It's terrible.  

Why don't they give Groy a shot?  Didn't they just sign Wood to an extension or am I misremembering?  For that matter, why is Vlad starting?

Really don't like Dennison, Castillo, wonder if these fellas can evaluate properly.  And they are set to hopefully draft and develop a franchise qb.

Wish I had more confidence in them.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Zay has gotten way better since the bye week. Gotta remember he is playing out of position as a Flanker too. He is a split end or slot guy. We need to add a true Flanker this off-season. Move Zay to slot and let Matthews walk.

I was a Matthews champion but I am now starting to agree with this

One of the problems with this offense not counting the OC and OL (and yes QB) is that we dont have the right parts at spots

D. Thompson he drops too many balls......he has speed but the scheme doesnt seem to know how to use it

Zay Jones is totally a slot guy....He could be Laundry eventually

Kelvin Benjamin is going to be an asset when we can actually use him

Dawkins does look very comfortable at LT.  I did notice he was very active in the Pats game. Dawkins stood out for his downfield blocking. I saw him having a great block that was nullified by a Wood holding penalty. 

Overall this class is very promising. A couple more like this one with all the picks the Bills have and we can start to see something. 

BTW Zay is going to be really good when he has a QB who understands timing and throws to a spot vs waiting for a receiver to be open. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I rewatched the offensive series in the Pats game.   The kid had flashes early this season, but he's really settled into that LT spot.  Did anyone notice how far downfield he was throwing his guys on some of those run plays?  That's freakish strength.

He’s come on strong the past four weeks, surrendering just nine pressures over his last four games while looking nasty in the run game. He ended the day with just one hit and two hurries allowed.   This kid is already very good, can't wait until the experience starts kicking in.

So far, Tredavious, Zay, Milano and Dawkins all look like they were good picks.     

Yes!!!! He's a beast!

I commented on the shout box that Dawkins was in beast mode on Sunday. 

Now we just need a healthy Cordy Glenn and we will have the two of the three  most important pieces of a dominate offensive line. 

21 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The weakest spot on our OL is center. Wood cannot stay balanced to block, and either can't read the scheme or doesn't know who to blcok.

It's terrible.  

It really feels like scheme. The right side is in shambles and Dawkins is good for a rookie

48 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It's terrible.  

I agree Wood has been overrated for much of his career, although I like him as a person from what I can tell, but the weakest spot? In all due respect, in my mind it belongs to Mills and it's not even close....putrid is the word I'd use for Mills....not good, maybe average in one respect or another is the way I'd describe Wood. 

37 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Dawkins does look very comfortable at LT.  I did notice he was very active in the Pats game. Dawkins stood out for his downfield blocking. I saw him having a great block that was nullified by a Wood holding penalty. 

Overall this class is very promising. A couple more like this one with all the picks the Bills have and we can start to see something. 

BTW Zay is going to be really good when he has a QB who understands timing and throws to a spot vs waiting for a receiver to be open. 

i'm not even saying this to defend jones, but when some of the balls are thrown his way, they're so off the mark it's not funny.  i think it's great that he's a regular target, but whether it's how he runs routes vs qb play, it would be nice to see the ball more in his general territory.

47 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Yea Dawkins really stood out on some plays , he's also very athletic, gotta get him and Glenn on field at same time, can't keep a talent like Dawkins on sidelines

Well, isn't a problem when Cordy's in his normal position on the training table.

Dawkins is extremely fast for a lineman from what I've seen.  He is so twitchy.  Been quite impressed with his play and believe he may take over the left tackle spot.  A lot of shady's big runs lately have been on that left side where Dawkins has been sealing or out downfield blocking and done a really nice job of it.  If Glenn stays out for a while longer, I could see Dawkins cementing himself at that spot and Glenn either traded to get rid of his high contract along with his injuries or playing at right tackle next season.  For me, I think he plays well enough when healthy to be given another year before looking to shed his deal.  If he plays well along with Dawkins on the other side and stays injury free, I don't care about his high salary.  That would certainly help whoever our QB is next season. 

9 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm not even saying this to defend jones, but when some of the balls are thrown his way, they're so off the mark it's not funny.  i think it's great that he's a regular target, but whether it's how he runs routes vs qb play, it would be nice to see the ball more in his general territory.

I think that will come with a new QB next year honestly.  Consistent QB play hasn't been there this year.  I expect Zay to have a much better year next year even if it is with a rookie QB.