Two First Rd Picks

NewEraBills

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

It’s amazing to me how many people complain about Tyrod not being decisive enough and then want Mayfield who also takes 3 seconds before each throw he makes. 

He is a small dude on an amazing team that plays in a conference known for terrible defense. I’ll pass.

Either trade up for Rosen or take O and Dlineman with our first few picks and grab Clayton Thorson in round 2 or 3. We need to get much better on the line...

He is the Johnny Manziel of this next draft.  

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Wouldnt be surprised if Darnold stays in school. Rosen probably goes first overall to Cleveland.

Cleveland can have him. Rosen will struggle in the NFL. Give me Rudolph, Darnold or Mayfield in that order. Or Cousins if available? This team needs so much help at so many positions. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Cleveland can have him. Rosen will struggle in the NFL. Give me Rudolph, Darnold or Mayfield in that order. Or Cousins if available? This team needs so much help at so many positions. 

The more I watch Rudolph the more I think he’s a product of the his offensive scheme and the great weapons around him.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just posted this in another thread, but it might be better suited here:

Let's look at who will likely be ahead of us and their chances of drafting a QB:

1. Cleveland Browns - They drafted DeShone Kizer in the 2nd round last year, hoping for him to be their man. Has had a rough season, but will they really give up so easily? People were calling Goff a bust last year, only to see him do a complete 180 this season.  (Maybe)

2. San Francisco 49ers - They just traded their original 2nd round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo, and wouldn't have done that unless they plan to spend the money needed to resign him long-term. He's a FA next year, so unless they wanted to give up a high draft pick just to let him walk, there's no way they don't consider him their franchise QB at this point. (NO)

3. NY Giants - They still have Eli Manning, although he's now benched for the year. However, they drafted Davis Webb with their 3rd round pick, and apparently want him to develop him into their next QB. He's still raw, so there's definitely a chance they draft a QB in the 2018 draft too. Unless he gets playing time & lights it up, they very well could draft someone high. (Likely)

4. Chicago Bears - The Bears traded up from third overall to second, just to draft Mitch Trubisky. To do that, they swapped 1st round picks, traded 2 third round picks and a 4th round pick. There's almost no way they can risk that being all for nothing by giving up on him so early. Bears fans were already pissed, I can't imagine how pissed they'd be losing all those picks to move up ONE spot, then replace the guy they did it all for. (NO)

5. Denver Broncos - Although the Broncos spent a 1st round pick on Paxton Lynch in 2016, they've been hesitant to commit to him. Couple that with their Osweiler & Siemian being horrible, it's looking like Elway is going to have no choice but to draft a QB to inspire any confidence in next season. (YES)

6. Indianapolis Colts - Chuck Pagano is probably out as HC, and Jacoby Brissett is not the answer. However, it all depends on Andrew Luck. The team doesn't want to let him go, but apparently his return is more mental than physical. If there's any chance Andrew Luck is healthy going forward, they're going to use him. (Unlikely)

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - They have Jameis Winston and like Jameis Winston. They will not be using a 1st rounder on a QB. (NO)

8. Houston Texans - DeShaun Watson proved that he was definitively, without question, the best QB in the 2017 draft. He's solidified as the starter. (NO)

9. Arizona Cardinals - Depending on Carson Palmer's health and desire to keep playing, this is up in the air. It's very reasonable to assume they'll look for a QB in the draft, though perhaps not in the 1st round. They may be a willing trade partner for someone who NEEDS a QB now, but may be content to take one in the later rounds to develop. (Maybe+)

10. Washington Redskins - It all depends on how they feel about Kirk Cousins. Will they finally sign him to a long term deal? Does Cousins even want to stay there? (Maybe)

11. Oakland Raiders - Derek Carr is still their man. They'll use their 1st on anything BUT QB. (NO)

12. Cincinnati Bengals - As long as Marvin Lewis is their HC, Dalton will probably stay their QB. There's always a slim chance they pull the trigger on someone, but they've remained steadfast thus far, why start now? (Unlikely)

13. NY Jets - They spent a 2nd round pick on Hackenberg, and have been developing Petty since 2015. They're more likely to target a FA QB in my opinion over drafting one, but you never know with the Jets. There's also a good chance by the end of the season they'll have a better record than us, so we may pick before them anyway. (Maybe+)

14. Miami Dolphins - The Cutler signing hasn't worked out, but they still have Tannehill. They're not drafting a QB to replace someone they believe to be in his prime and just about to turn into the QB they've been looking for all these years. Just like with the Jets, they also have a chance to finish with a better record than us too. (NO)

15. Los Angeles Chargers - Rivers is going to be their QB until he retires. They could always draft one in the later rounds to develop, but not one of the big names. (NO)

Everyone else around the same record as us already has their guy. KC has Mahomes, Falcons have Ryan, Cowboys have Prescott, etc. So out of the people we're competing with, I see 7 definitive "No's" and some "Maybe's." The only teams that are certain or very likely at this point are the Broncos, Giants, and perhaps Jets or Cardinals. The Jets or Cardinals could possibly finish ahead of us, as well as a few other teams, so they're less of a threat. Keep in mind all these teams could target a QB in Free Agency as well with the boon of QB's becoming available.

I believe with the Bills draft capital, combined with where we'll finish the season, will give us ample opportunity to hit on one of the big QB's in the draft. There are definitely teams ahead of us that would trade, so as long as the scouting department does their homework, we should be set.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I just posted this in another thread, but it might be better suited here:

Let's look at who will likely be ahead of us and their chances of drafting a QB:

1. Cleveland Browns - They drafted DeShone Kizer in the 2nd round last year, hoping for him to be their man. Has had a rough season, but will they really give up so easily? People were calling Goff a bust last year, only to see him do a complete 180 this season.  (Maybe)

2. San Francisco 49ers - They just traded their original 2nd round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo, and wouldn't have done that unless they plan to spend the money needed to resign him long-term. He's a FA next year, so unless they wanted to give up a high draft pick just to let him walk, there's no way they don't consider him their franchise QB at this point. (NO)

3. NY Giants - They still have Eli Manning, although he's now benched for the year. However, they drafted Davis Webb with their 3rd round pick, and apparently want him to develop him into their next QB. He's still raw, so there's definitely a chance they draft a QB in the 2018 draft too. Unless he gets playing time & lights it up, they very well could draft someone high. (Likely)

4. Chicago Bears - The Bears traded up from third overall to second, just to draft Mitch Trubisky. To do that, they swapped 1st round picks, traded 2 third round picks and a 4th round pick. There's almost no way they can risk that being all for nothing by giving up on him so early. Bears fans were already pissed, I can't imagine how pissed they'd be losing all those picks to move up ONE spot, then replace the guy they did it all for. (NO)

5. Denver Broncos - Although the Broncos spent a 1st round pick on Paxton Lynch in 2016, they've been hesitant to commit to him. Couple that with their Osweiler & Siemian being horrible, it's looking like Elway is going to have no choice but to draft a QB to inspire any confidence in next season. (YES)

6. Indianapolis Colts - Chuck Pagano is probably out as HC, and Jacoby Brissett is not the answer. However, it all depends on Andrew Luck. The team doesn't want to let him go, but apparently his return is more mental than physical. If there's any chance Andrew Luck is healthy going forward, they're going to use him. (Unlikely)

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - They have Jameis Winston and like Jameis Winston. They will not be using a 1st rounder on a QB. (NO)

8. Houston Texans - DeShaun Watson proved that he was definitively, without question, the best QB in the 2017 draft. He's solidified as the starter. (NO)

9. Arizona Cardinals - Depending on Carson Palmer's health and desire to keep playing, this is up in the air. It's very reasonable to assume they'll look for a QB in the draft, though perhaps not in the 1st round. They may be a willing trade partner for someone who NEEDS a QB now, but may be content to take one in the later rounds to develop. (Maybe+)

10. Washington Redskins - It all depends on how they feel about Kirk Cousins. Will they finally sign him to a long term deal? Does Cousins even want to stay there? (Maybe)

11. Oakland Raiders - Derek Carr is still their man. They'll use their 1st on anything BUT QB. (NO)

12. Cincinnati Bengals - As long as Marvin Lewis is their HC, Dalton will probably stay their QB. There's always a slim chance they pull the trigger on someone, but they've remained steadfast thus far, why start now? (Unlikely)

13. NY Jets - They spent a 2nd round pick on Hackenberg, and have been developing Petty since 2015. They're more likely to target a FA QB in my opinion over drafting one, but you never know with the Jets. There's also a good chance by the end of the season they'll have a better record than us, so we may pick before them anyway. (Maybe+)

14. Miami Dolphins - The Cutler signing hasn't worked out, but they still have Tannehill. They're not drafting a QB to replace someone they believe to be in his prime and just about to turn into the QB they've been looking for all these years. Just like with the Jets, they also have a chance to finish with a better record than us too. (NO)

15. Los Angeles Chargers - Rivers is going to be their QB until he retires. They could always draft one in the later rounds to develop, but not one of the big names. (NO)

Everyone else around the same record as us already has their guy. KC has Mahomes, Falcons have Ryan, Cowboys have Prescott, etc. So out of the people we're competing with, I see 7 definitive "No's" and some "Maybe's." The only teams that are certain or very likely at this point are the Broncos, Giants, and perhaps Jets or Cardinals. The Jets or Cardinals could possibly finish ahead of us, as well as a few other teams, so they're less of a threat. Keep in mind all these teams could target a QB in Free Agency as well with the boon of QB's becoming available.

I believe with the Bills draft capital, combined with where we'll finish the season, will give us ample opportunity to hit on one of the big QB's in the draft. There are definitely teams ahead of us that would trade, so as long as the scouting department does their homework, we should be set.

Nice effort put into this post. Let’s hope that SF doesn’t Win anymore games so that we can sneak into that 2nd overall pick

Edited by LEBills

15 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Nice effort put into this post. Let’s hope that SF doesn’t Win anymore games so that we can sneak into that 2nd overall pick

Even if the Giants get first dibbs on the QB of their choice, we should still have a great shot at getting a QB we want.

I think if we definitively have a guy we're in love with, we need to be most worried about the Broncos. Depending on how they finish, I think we need to make sure we grab our guy before them. I can't see anyone else in the top 10 really chasing a 1st round QB. 

We also need to pay attention to the Jets. History tells us they're not going to go all-in and draft a franchise QB in the 1st round that they'll have to commit to, but you just never know. They're only 1 game behind us, but also have a tough 4 remaining games (@Denver, @New Orleans, Chargers, @NE). So they may finish 6-10 and pick right before us. 

Getting swept by the Dolphins would be pretty upsetting, and I'm sure fans will call for the coach's head if that happens, but ultimately it'd probably be better to lose those games. We won't even have to "TRY" to lose to the Patriots, but it's pretty likely we're decent enough to beat the Colts, finishing 7-9 at worst.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

The Browns own the Texans first rounder from when the Texans moved up to draft Watson.  The Browns could select a QB with either of their firsts and still trade the other to another QB needy team ahead of the Bills

5 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Mayfield knows he is the best player on the field. Give me that guy at quarterback any day of the week. Rhythm thrower? Check. Accurate passer? Check. Arm strength? Plenty. He would be a god send to our team. He is a more polished Mahomes imo. 

He lacks NFL size which will drop him on draft day and hopefully someone else takes him.

Every year people say "this year's class is weak, wait until next year when ______ & _________ come out!" 

At some point you need to take your shot & stop second guessing. Fans are the ones who really get cold feet. They're really high on people until that year comes, and if they fall short of a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in their play, they waiver. People act as if there's a 100% sure-thing, and that person will always be "next year."

It's that mentality that has made us made us pass on some great QB's over the years. There's also times we could've traded up and drafted a guy but have been too afraid to. Even Goff & Wentz were called reaches last year by many... Mariotta, Winston before them, and so on. We didn't have shots at those guys, but it's still a reoccurring theme come draft time.

It's very likely that 2, if not more, QB's in this class are going to turn out to be true franchise QB's. Determine who your guy is, do what you have to do to get him, and stick with them. If we drafted Goff, and he played like he did last year for us, Bills fans would've already been calling him a bust and been ready to move on. It's crucial we put him in the best position to succeed, surround them with talent, and have a coach that calls plays geared towards his respective skillset.

McDermott deserves a chance with "his guy." Then, regardless of how the 1st year goes, stand behind him going into the following season. Keep the same scheme, build up the lines, give him a dynamic supporting cast, etc. We've got to stop calling for coaches heads and instilling new schemes every year. And most importantly, we have to stop waiting until "next year" for that 100% guaranteed QB that doesn't exist. 

Edited by BigDingus