NFL TV Partners Set To Lose Up To $500 Million On Ratings Decline

CodeMonkey

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Kind of the same, here.  When the Bills are on, I'm watching/focusing on the entire game.  Other games, including prime time, I always have on - but I'm lucky if I actually watch 3 total quarters of football.

In my younger days, I watched whatever game was on from beginning to end.  That probably stopped, for me, about a decade ago, too.  Part of that is being a dad and my son getting older.  He doesn't watch football.

My family and I watch commercial free Bills games when we eat dinner together Sundays.  But that's the only game they watch, and me too these days.

I wonder when the TV contract price starts dropping, followed by the salary cap dropping as well.

10 minutes ago, yungmack said:

I believe you are right. Ratings (vertical/growth ratings) have been in decline long before the protest, which those who insist the decline is due to the protests conveniently overlook. But they also conveniently overlook that Kaepernick's protest had zero to do with the military and everything to do with the killing of black men, and the eruption of protests this year was specifically in reaction to Trump's bizarre attacks on players and their mothers. The protest was essentially dead and over with until The Donald brought it back to life.

I disagree. While there was some decline, the protests were obviously the most polarizing and politicized thing around the NFL in some time. It's silly to overlook it. The nature of the protest was and is seen as a disrespect to the country and military by many. Regardless of what the players try to say it is or isn't. Do something during the anthem and that's how it's going to be seen by a huge amount of folks. Regardless of explanation. 

I watch less NFL football because its become a chore to watch. Between the non stop penalties and the constant commercials there just isn't any flow to the games.

I also will only watch the patriots the two times a year they play the Bills. Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, the Super Bowl, not watching them. I'm sure that after watching them this weekend I'll feel that the league is run by Vince McMahon.

I have a question for those that let player protests upset you ... For those of you watching the game at home and they show the flag on the TV and the singer is doing the anthem, how many of you are standing with your hand over your heart, and how many of you are parked on the couch with a beer in one hand and a slice of pizza in the other ?

• Like (+1) 1

I would also add to the argument that ratings are down because fans are continually treated so poorly by the NFL.

Look at how much money exhibition games cost! The outrageous amount of money you have to spend to park your car!

My dad has been a 49'ers season ticket holder for over 30 years, and he doesn't even get his tickets sent to his house anymore. He has to download each ticket online and print them out himself. Add to the insult that he can only print each ticket for only one game at a time, they won't let him print out all of his season tickets at once. They give him a window  of 72 hours before game day to print out his tickets. What the !@#$ is that all about?!

Add on top that he and many other fans have to pay seat licenses. Then there is the crackdown that the NFL has been doing to tailgating. We know they want to do away with it.

The NFL is going after the wrong people, and they are getting sick of it.

4 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Even if that were true, and I don't think it is, all TV problems become NFL problem as it is the TV contract that pays the players salaries.

NFL still the top dog on TV. Nothing will ever change that. TV networks will still bend over for the NFL. 

Cable subscribers are declining by the millions. That won't change either. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

The writer's logic regarding the first game on Sundays is flawed.  Every East Coast team, if it is not playing Sun/Mon/Thurs nights will have its market fans tune in as usual.  If they are playing one of those nights, they will watch then instead.  They are no more likely NOT to watch the substitute 1 pm game (i.e. not their team) than they are not to watch a night game not involving their team.

Also, The NFL started playing Thursday night games in 2006 (Sunday night too).  Why would these games suddenly be to blame for a drop off in the past two years? And as much as everyone dumps on TNF, it's a top performer---the 3 highest ratings TV shows of 2016-17 were 1) Sunday Night Football, 2) TNF/NBC, 3) TNF/CBS.   MNF is somewhere way below that.  So, even with a "ratings drop", NFL programming is so dominant that it's still the best bet for all networks.

I stopped watching all the NFL based talk shows a decade ago. No sports talk for me.. I find all those NFL today ESPN stuff annoying. I used to watch that stuff all day long. Since I have DVR i record the games wait till about 1 - 2 hours into the game and then fast forward thru all the fluff/half time and commercials. Basically I could care less about the NFL outside a Bills game. Personally I supported the protests by players fully so that has no bearing on me.

Nothing outside of the Bills interests me in this league. The game is watered down and way too many rule changes that have turned the league into haves and have nots in regards to the QB position.

Its unfortunate but I believe the league has passed its peak and will decline for some time. Prices are too expensive so there is a next generation coming through now that didn't get the same exposure as the previous generations. Lots of families and declining incomes can't afford to take in a game..

Edited by ddaryl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is true. That there has been a decline at all is what's considered newsworthy. Reality is that the NFL is still the ratings winner, by a mile. All TV viewing is down across the board, so the fact the king of the hill is a half step down the ratings mountain isn't a huge deal. 

53 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I could only speak for myself but I have loss interest in the NFL partly due to every year New England seems all but unbeatable.  I am tired of seeing Tom Brady, tired of seeing Belicheat.  Just tired of it.  Their dynasty has crossed the line a long time ago of being ridiculous.  No QB that was drafted as a 6th round pick in 1999 should be still dominating the league.  It borderlines on insanity if you think about it & questions come into my mind whether the games are actually fixed(or at least the NE games.)  This isn't college basketball in the 1970's when UCLA was dominating, no team with the way the NFL is setup should have a run of dominance going on three decades. 

Easy to understand when you realize Brady sold his soul to the devil. :devil:

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

NFL still the top dog on TV. Nothing will ever change that. TV networks will still bend over for the NFL. 

Cable subscribers are declining by the millions. That won't change either. 

So your contention is that even though the cable companies are losing subscribers "by the millions", and the ratings in general for NFL games has been in decline for years for all outlets, but those same outlets will keep paying contract prices that go up every year?

I also agree that NE has somewhat ruined the sport...

The entire season, all the great stories... it all seems meaningless because the ancient QB will just win again, no matter what up and coming young stars do. When the games count NE always wins. What's the point?

Wentz is a great story, as is Goff. I'll be if either one plays NE in the SB (because the AFC is such a joke they pretty much have a bye to the SB) they will make a ton of stupid mistakes and not play to 1/2 of what they did all year. The AFC playoffs are almost totally pointless unless the Bills make it.

15 minutes ago, teef said:

i wonder if this is a thing in large markets.  a few years back, we would get club tickets to the tronto leafs games on the regular.  i know it's a completely different sport, but same thing.  the club was packed, and it was like social hour a the bar.  people weren't even interested in the game.

Ill get frrr tickets to the Hawks and Braves a lot and when I go, I socialize more than watch the game.  I understand those sports and hockey because they have a ton more games.

Surprised I’m seeing it in football.

3 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

So your contention is that even though the cable companies are losing subscribers "by the millions", and the ratings in general for NFL games has been in decline for years for all outlets, but those same outlets will keep paying contract prices that go up every year?

Maybe the contracts go down in value next time.  But this is still network dream, can't miss programming (compared to everything else they could put on instead).

The networks have to develop/produce zero original content and there is no challenger to the NFL for network ratings.  Slam dunk for the networks.  These are guaranteed viewers more so than any sitcom or drama, which all lose viewers, get cancelled or run their course and finale.

1 hour ago, yungmack said:

I read most of the comments following the article and about 95% hit the protests as the reason for the ratings decline. Yet according to polling done among the general population, it is only one factor, and not a major one, as the article states. In fact, ratings have been in decline long before Kaepernick taking a knee. 

So how to explain the large number of anti-player protest comments at this particular website? So many of them went off into a litany of racial caricatures that it seems the protests just serve as an excuse to spew out long held negative opinions about black people, Democrats, MSM, "elites," etc. that it seems to me the website must for some reason appeal to these sorts. Anybody know anything about it?

Funny thing about the comments is they overlook the vastly greater ratings and attendance decline that's hit NASCAR the last few years. And there is no "sport" in this country whose fan base is more white, more support-the-troops faux patriotic, more right wing than NASCAR.

When it's the NFL in decline, the cause is ignorant, uppity, ungrateful, entitled black men. When it's lily white NASCAR, we get crickets. 

I saw that also but like you said the ratings were declining pre-Kap anyway. I do think its a factor but the one thing I also noticed was the majority of commenters were 60+ in age if not older which I am not surprised about because they have been the most vocal also about players kneeling and it mimics their parents generation who hated the protests in the 60/70s (remember history repeats). The people opposing the protest do not view the players as people just entertainment like this women:

Brenda Gertsch
I was a lifelong Steeler fan. The political director, Mike Tomlin needs to go. What he has done to this once great franchise for his own political gain is beyond disgraceful. There is a special place in hell for Mike Tomlin. I will not watch because of the protests. These "people" are paid to entertain me with their physical prowess. I do not care about their beliefs and "ideas". If you aren't going to do your job...Go back to the hood and take up rap. Entertain me, or I will go elsewhere. I can't express my views at work. Why should you? They deserve a knee in their groins. With my Sundays free, my home has never been cleaner and more organized.

That pretty much says it all. Once the protest started I am not sure how the NFL is able to put the worms back in the can because at least a part of their viewership will only view the league/players as entertainment and anything that is against their values they are done. I think in a decade the NFL will be different and back up/ahead of now viewership wise but it will require changes and time to pass from those who are upset.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I also agree that NE has somewhat ruined the sport...

The entire season, all the great stories... it all seems meaningless because the ancient QB will just win again, no matter what up and coming young stars do. When the games count NE always wins. What's the point?

Wentz is a great story, as is Goff. I'll be if either one plays NE in the SB (because the AFC is such a joke they pretty much have a bye to the SB) they will make a ton of stupid mistakes and not play to 1/2 of what they did all year. The AFC playoffs are almost totally pointless unless the Bills make it.

Especially now that the old " dependables" to knock off the evil empire , the Ravens and their defense , the Broncos and Manning , are long gone. Who is the saving grace to protect football fans everywhere from a Super Bowl involving New England ? There doesn't seem to be one this year. It will take a Brady injury or perhaps the Steelers can nab home field advantage. Brady's Championship game failures have mostly come on the road. 

Also the general decline of talent, look at the 90s...there was so many good qbs and general 

all around good talent. The talent and qb pool has become homogenized, so many medicore

teams, less stars, has made football less enjoyable. And yes the ref nonsense is really out of control.

You should not feel anxiety waiting for a flag every single play, and being surprised when one 

doesn't drop.

• Like (+1) 1