NFL TV Partners Set To Lose Up To $500 Million On Ratings Decline

CodeMonkey

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lack of QB talent? Why don't they just going out and get someone good?

I do think the Pats being dominant, often with league help, diminishes interest.

Excellent point.  If you feel like the fix is in (even if it actually isn't), it's less compelling television.  Part of the beauty of sports is that you don't know the result when you turn the game on.  It has become different with the Pats. 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lack of QB talent? Why don't they just going out and get someone good?

I do think the Pats being dominant, often with league help, diminishes interest.

The fans can’t get to consensus on who that is. Even with all the years of honing their talent evaluation skills, and contract negotiation and trading prowess, things remain at impasse. :cry:

Absolutely WRT #2 above. I’ve TUCKed my ball away and just don’t watch anymore. 

On 2017-11-28 at 10:51 AM, TheFunPolice said:

Young people don't watch live TV anymore

That is a big part of it. If it's not Netflix or streaming many aren't interested. Many young people also follow sports on some sort of mobile device while doing 15 other things.

The era of sitting down on the couch and devoting 3 hrs to a game (and its commercials, which are the real show as far as the networks are concerned) is coming to an end. People are on their phones in movie theatres after spending $50 to see a film

This is the explanation I agree with. I cut the cord for cable two years ago and don’t regret it. I couldn’t give up football, so I pay for GamePass (through DAZN, since I don’t live in the US). For people who don’t have live tv and aren’t hooked on a sport, they never will. 

I wonder if the subscriptions to Streaming football are up as the Network viewers decline. 

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a big factor imo. The vast majority of NFL games are on free network over the air TV. Most Thursday night games are not exclusively on NFLN , only MNF has been exclusively cable/ dish for awhile now. A seismic shift in live TV viewing habits among the millennial generation seems to be the biggest contributor to ratings decline of the NFL and TV in general. Far more than anything the NFL has done or hasn't done, I believe . The league will have to adjust to the " new normal" . 

Correct.  And I believe Nielsen is just starting to add digital ratings to their overall rating system.  Once this process is refined, the "new normal" should reflect a still sizable audience, just spread out over multiple platforms.  

On 28/11/2017 at 5:42 PM, major said:

Reasons it's declining (and these have already been mentioned by many):
1. Young people don't watch live TV. If it isn't on their phones, they aren't watching

2. CTE cover up

3. Domestic violence and other issues  involving NFL players, which the media feeds upon

4. Uneven punishment for players and teams by Roger Goodell

5. Dominance of Patriots for almost two decades now-not good for business. Supposed to have parity

6. Donald Trump's vendetta against the NFL. HIs comments have stoked racism towards players. 

7. League has overstretched itself with new stadiums, while income has been declining among most Americans (most can't afford to go to games)

8. Players taking stances like anthem hasn't been viewed well by majority of public

9. I could keep going...

I'll be the tin foil hat guy: because the Pats continue to cheat. Read Spygate by Timothy O'Leary and you'll understand 

The author is actually Bryan O'Leary. I've been saying that for a while. If you analyse the Pats performance against the best teams in NFL history, the difference is unreal. That suggests there is more than just hard work and avocado ice cream involved.

6 hours ago, KingRex said:

A half billion in lost revenue means that the networks ONLY make a billion $ in profits rather than $1.5 billion.  I'm sorry, its hard for me to feel sorry for someone who ONLY  makes a billion $ instead o 1.5 billion (or whatever the actual s are- maybe they ONLY make $3 billion rather than $3.5).

Also, if th reason for decline in the 1pm EST Sunday game is due to the oversaturation of Sunday might, Thursday night and other special games, how does the increase in viewers for these "new" games balance against the ratings decline on Sunday.

I'd love to have problems such as this.

You do understand that networks promise a certain viewership to sponsors? Falling short means refunds.

But on a side note, I thought fantasy sports were supposed to boost interest?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

More than anything else it is the player entitlement and disrespect for their country and anthem.  I'd venture that maybe 20% of the casual fans I knew stopped viewing the NFL just because of this.  The NFL downplays it and points to other make-believe issues, because it takes the focus off of it, and they cannot effectively control it.  So their plan is to diminish it.  And live TV not broadcasting the anthem................ beyond lame, trying to hide 

Edited by MarkyMannn
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

More than anything else it is the player entitlement and disrespect for their country and anthem.  I'd venture that maybe 20% of the casual fans I knew stopped viewing the NFL just because of this.  The NFL downplays it and points to other make-believe issues, because it takes the focus off of it, and they cannot effectively control it.  So their plan is to diminish it.  And live TV not broadcasting the anthem................ beyond lame, trying to hide 

Yeah!  What do they think this is, 2009???

On 11/28/2017 at 11:22 AM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

1.). Need younger coaches who are more offensively inclined.

2.)  Coaches need greater job security.  Most coaches would rather lose by a little and make all the safe calls than take risks and lose by a lot.  It's easier to explain away when review time arrives.

Coaches get paid full  for rest of contract when let go. Rex got paid 3 years to do nothing.  That is enough job security.    

On 11/28/2017 at 11:45 AM, Boyst62 said:

On 11/28/2017 at 11:45 AM, Boyst62 said:

All fans are saying the protests are effecting the game. Cant miss it in comments or even articles. Yet people think it's a small issue.

I'd bet it is helping accelerate the decline of this crap product. I watch a whole lot less football now because it's terrible and the players are as dumb as ever 

No NOT ALL FANS.  That is an exaggeration to support your flag waving. Most of the far right are in Ku Klux Klan meetings after NASCAR events waving their confederate flags and too busy to watch football anyways.

Edited by Limeaid
Duplicate post

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Coaches get paid full  for rest of contract when let go. Rex got paid 3 years to do nothing.  That is enough job security.    

No NOT ALL FANS.  That is anexaggeration to support your flag waving.

Look at the most recent polling. They say it is affecting the attention. That's a fact. 

Sorry you're social justice snowflake cognitive dissonance of virtue signaling cuckolded reality denies you the truth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From two weeks ago:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/01/08/nfl-playoff-ratings-see-big-declines

All Four NFL Playoff Games See Double-Digit Ratings Decrease

1. The NFL had a disastrous weekend when it came to ratings. Numbers have been down all season and it was more of the same for the wild-card games. The biggest surprise was that the best game (Panthers-Falcons) had the biggest decrease year over year. Yes, markets were a big factor, but that was a competitive and entertaining game. Here's the breakdown:

Titans-Chiefs (14.7) was down 11 percent versus last year's Raiders-Texans game.

Falcons-Rams (14.9) was down 10 percent versus last year's Lions-Seahawks game.

Bills-Jaguars (17.2) was down 10 percent versus last year's Dolphins-Steelers game.

Panthers-Saints (20.4) was down 21 percent versus last year's Giants-Packers game.

18 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Look at the most recent polling. They say it is affecting the attention. That's a fact. 

Sorry you're social justice snowflake cognitive dissonance of virtue signaling cuckolded reality denies you the truth.

Perhaps you are breathing too much methane from licking your bull to understand this but YOU EXAGGERATED stating ALL fans were stating was cause - ALL fans have not stated that.

And MY Opinion the protests are stupid because they are directly hurting their cause (not my cause) and the league should correct their mistake adding the anthem as part of the game and eliminate opportunity to protest then; let them protest during their TD celebrations  and if it goes too long or Richard Sherman pulls a flag out of his pants and does a crap on it give them an unsportsman like penalty. 

On 11/28/2017 at 8:44 AM, thenorthremembers said:

I agree with all of these points.  Officiating is a joke.   The same 12 teams made up 80% of the playoff spots over the last three years.   Hard to keep watching when you have a 20% chance of watching your team play in the playoffs if you arent in New England, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Seattle etc

However, to know if the NFL is really in decline I think its important to look at comparative data with other network shows and sports.   Is the decline because of the NFL, or is it in step with television ratings across the board.   I think its entirely possible the game is losing steam but I wonder if this is indicative of the change in technology.

One of the huge problems for the NFL: the Giants were horrible, the Jets were the Jets, the Niners were awful pre-Jimmy G, the Cowboys fell out of contention, the Broncos were awful, the Packers without Rodgers are boring.  The teams with either huge regional followings (NYC) or large national followings (Cowboys, Packers, etc.) generated very little interest. An NFL with the Jags/Vikes/Panthers/Rams (even Bills-Titans-Ravens-Chargers fighting it out for that last wild card slot) isn't an NFL that generates a lot of national interest.  That part of the decline is fixable because these things tend to be cyclical. But other problems are persistent, including the huge generational loss of interest.  I see this here in Colorado. Baseball is very unpopular among millennials in general, but the local team has positioned themselves as offering a great summer night out for 20-somethings. The entire upper right field seating area is now a mega-bar. People pay very little attention to the game. It's a social outing, and it's very popular. It doesn't help TV ratings, but it does provide a good new revenue stream.  The NFL with its fall/winter schedule and 8 home games can't pull off that kind of shift ...

• Like (+1) 1

The interesting thing for me is the disparity betweeen the failing nfl and the thriving college football game.  

I dont think it’s he on-field product, because the games and officiating issues are pretty similar.  

Perhaps part of if it is the anthem protest, but I think the nfl was going downhill before that.   

Perhaps its the the off field violence (aaron Hernandez, ray rice, etc) that appears to permeate the nfl more than college, making the players seem less enticing to root for.  

perhaps it’s Tom Brady and a it “doesn’t matter what we do he is going to win anyway” attitude.  

Or perhaps is the fact that if you are a fan of any major cfb team, you can watch your team for free almost every weekend.  I can count on one hand how many bills games I have watched live in the past couple years.  

There are many reasons for the decline.  My solutions:

1) get rid of Thursday games

2) award 2 more Sunday networks games.  Put 4 1:00 and 4:00 games on national tv (ie TBS, ESPN, heck even YouTube or amazon at this point).  

3) get rid of Sunday ticket all together 

4) adopt college overtime rules

5) a two strikes and your out policy for drug use, and a one strike and you are out policy for domestic abuse and gun related infractions. 

6) Fix the catch rule.  We all know a catch when we see it.  Fix it. 

7) abandon instant replay for most calls.  Go back to coaches challenges twice a half and stop all the booth challenges.  It is killing the flow of the game.  

8) either get rid of the kickoff, or make it fun again by moving the kickoff line back to the 25 to eliminate touchbacks. 

9) gotta do something with the holding calls on OL.   It’s too random when it’s called.

10) make pass interference a 15 yard penalty vice a spot call (like college)

On 11/28/2017 at 10:12 AM, Chris66 said:

Networks will still try an outbid each other in nect contract.

Yep.   THe NFL is still the best way to attract eyballs of anything in TV Land (10 of the top 20 highest rated and 44 of the top 100 programs in 2017)...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/the-100-highest-rated-tv-programs-of-2017-60-sports-40-everything-else/

I also think losing Peyton Manning was not an insignificant hit to the NFL.  You can respect his greatness but it's hard to like Brady.  Manning was pretty much universally liked.  There's also just an element that things sometimes peak and ratings can't keep going up forever.  The divisive 'daddy bought him a deferment' POS in the White House gladly capitalized on the Anthem kneelings, but I think the NFL's ratings had peaked regardless.  

I am surprised they did not mention that people are consuming television differently now than in the past.  There is red zone, DVRing and pirated streaming that also are having an impact.  Millenials are not as likely to change their schedule to watch football, they watch TV when it is convenient for them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I am surprised they did not mention that people are consuming television differently now than in the past.  There is red zone, DVRing and pirated streaming that also are having an impact.  Millenials are not as likely to change their schedule to watch football, they watch TV when it is convenient for them.

Alternative viewing is a portion of it.  

Too many damn commercials, the lousy officiating added with the idiot in the NFL office making the final call that is inconsistent and often wrong.  

Facoritism perceived or not of the Cheating Pats.  Do people really want to see them 3 extra wins a session (season after season) of just give it to them?

Lastly.  The lack of quality QB’s in the league doesn’t help either.

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Too many damn commercials, the lousy officiating added with the idiot in the NFL office making the final call that is inconsistent and often wrong.  

Facoritism perceived or not of the Cheating Pats.  Do people really want to see them 3 extra wins a session (season after season) of just give it to them?

I see the QB play differently.  I would argue that QB play is as high as it has ever been and that is evidenced by the amount of passing yards, TD's and QB ratings in recent years.  I do think there was a drop off in 2017 though.  Part of the better QB play are do to rule changes.  But I do think the QB play can negatively impact ratings but not because it is shoddy, rather because the great QB's factor into wins and losses too much and more than ever.   For instance, a team that had Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers is basically guaranteed to with 10-12 games.  When Brady is playing Bortles in the championship game Brady wins.....it does not matter how good the Jags played on D for 3 quarter or even that Bortles was efficient and did not make a lot of mistakes.  Brady gets the ball when they need points they get points.

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The KB touchdown overturn irks me to this day, and it is symptomatic of one of the reasons I don't go out of my way to watch more games. The maddening thing about is I rationally would have understood a "no TD" call (upon replay any way) and 'not enough to overturn'.  I don't get it, won't get it and understand that replay doesn't prove it was a catch. Multiply that by the number of times these things happen and it takes away enjoyment of the game. Same with the fumble TD return, exactly the same reasoning and same process. Add to that the abject failure of the NFL to send a meaningful message on the gronk cheap shot...hard to think the scale isn't tilted toward Massachusetts.

Personally speaking, the protests are a factor as well.  I don't think protesting at your place of work is wise, I think doing so when people who might give a ----- that you are protesting on their dime is even sillier. Actions have consequences.  How significant the consequences are is of course, debatable.

• Like (+1) 1