NFL TV Partners Set To Lose Up To $500 Million On Ratings Decline

CodeMonkey

Reasons it's declining (and these have already been mentioned by many):
1. Young people don't watch live TV. If it isn't on their phones, they aren't watching

2. CTE cover up

3. Domestic violence and other issues  involving NFL players, which the media feeds upon

4. Uneven punishment for players and teams by Roger Goodell

5. Dominance of Patriots for almost two decades now-not good for business. Supposed to have parity

6. Donald Trump's vendetta against the NFL. HIs comments have stoked racism towards players. 

7. League has overstretched itself with new stadiums, while income has been declining among most Americans (most can't afford to go to games)

8. Players taking stances like anthem hasn't been viewed well by majority of public

9. I could keep going...

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Most New England games feel like watching a pro team competing against a mediocre college team. The games aren't even close. Their offense is completely unstoppable, and it doesn't matter who goes down. They score 30+ every week. It's just not interesting. They are almost never in a close game.

How is it that one team is that much better than everyone else? NE's WR are always wide open, catch the ball, and run for 7-10 yards. Every freaking play. Then their stupid army of RBs catch little swing passes and run for 10 yards before they are touched. Nobody in the NFL can cover freaking Danny Amendola or Chris Hogan all of a sudden. It's mind-numbing.

Eventually watching NE demolish everyone they play gets boring. Manning actually did pretty well against them in the playoffs, considering that almost nobody else ever beats them. I cannot remember Brady ever losing to Pittsburgh. Most of those games are 45-27 type wins for NE that aren't even that close.

The Eagles are a cute story, but it all feels pointless. They can go 15-1 and they will lose to NE in the SB.

"Then why watch, if you think that?"

Exactly.

I'll be the tin foil hat guy: because the Pats continue to cheat. Read Spygate by Timothy O'Leary and you'll understand 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, major said:

1. Young people don't watch live TV. If it isn't on their phones, they aren't watching

2. CTE cover up

3. Domestic violence and other issues  involving NFL players, which the media feeds upon

5. Dominance of Patriots for almost two decades now-not good for business. Supposed to have parity

6. Donald Trump's vendetta against the NFL. HIs comments have stoked racism towards players. 

7. League has overstretched itself with new stadiums, while income has been declining among most Americans (most can't afford to go to games)

8. Players taking stances like anthem hasn't been viewed well by majority of public

9. I could keep going...

Pretty good, but I would move 5 and 8 to 2 and 3 respectively 

6 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Cord Cutting doesn't mean "no espn".  The proper execution of cord cutting is getting access to most, if not all, of what you used to watch, but cutting out the cable company and using alternate resources to save money.  With Sling TV and plenty of other sources to get games, to "cord cut" and not have access to what you want to watch means you are doing it wrong.

It's still like $30 a month at least to get ESPN with SLING TV isn't? Pretty sure that is what it was the last time I checked. I'd be better off just bundling my internet with the cable or satellite company if I really wanted to pay that much for ESPN.

I still casually watch games that aren't the Bills, but much like March Madness in basketball, I feel like once college football gets this playoff bracket thing together and adds 4 more teams, college football will eventually overtake the NFL in popularity. I have a couple of teams I watch in the NCAA, there is a surprising amount of parity and even the smallest schools have great fan bases. Young kids are invested in their school emotionally, alumni hold on to that for life seemingly. Creates a great atmosphere. The NCAA has also been much more forward thinking in terms of catering to millenials, airing pretty much every game it can via ESPN's streaming service. Even though I no longer live in Florida, I can still watch USF and Florida every weekend. Sometimes it's on a cable channel but most of the time I am streaming those games, without paying $500 a season.

56 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Maybe it’s because the NFL and associated media that rely on the NFL are too big to fail. 

....think maybe NFL mandates to municipalities ala, "build us new mausoleums with taxpayer dollars or we're leaving" finally hit the wall of resistance?...think people don't see the wildly escalating values in NFL franchises while their taxes go up?.....

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....think maybe NFL mandates to municipalities ala, "build us new mausoleums with taxpayer dollars or we're leaving" finally hit the wall of resistance?...think people don't see the wildly escalating values in NFL franchises while their taxes go up?.....

This guy gets it. 

10 hours ago, yungmack said:

So how to explain the large number of anti-player protest comments at this particular website? So many of them went off into a litany of racial caricatures that it seems the protests just serve as an excuse to spew out long held negative opinions about black people, Democrats, MSM, "elites," etc. that it seems to me the website must for some reason appeal to these sorts. Anybody know anything about it?

This headline from this story shows up in a lot of websites, based on a google search.  Probably just MAG-nuts flocking to the site to spew their SOS...

https://www.google.com/search?q=NFL+TV+Partners+Set+To+Lose+Up+To+%24500+Million+On+Ratings+Decline&rlz=1CAACAG_enUS765US765&oq=NFL+TV+Partners+Set+To+Lose+Up+To+%24500+Million+On+Ratings+Decline&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 5:42 PM, major said:

2. CTE cover up

9. I could keep going...

I'll be the tin foil hat guy: because the Pats continue to cheat. Read Spygate by Timothy O'Leary and you'll understand 

Any serious football fan should read that book, no excuses it is an easy read like 2 hours...

It’s the “cool” thing to do right now to talk bad about the NFL. Football is still by far my favorite thing to watch abd I watch every second of every game that I can. I wish the season was longer. If other people choose not to watch, that’s fine. It’s their choice. I still love it. I bet most of the people that are most vocal about “why they don’t watch now.” Probably barely watched before. People pull the same **** with NASCAR. In one sentence they say how they “don’t watch because it’s so boaring.” Then they tell you how there hasn’t been any good racing in NASCAR for years...how do you know if you just said you aren’t watching? That’s what America does. If you are successful, a large group of people will get frustrated and find ways to tear you down. It’s sad really. “Ratings are down” yet a preseason NFL game gets better ratings then playoff games in other sports.

I noted the comment of one poster who said that networks will still try to outbid one another for the right to broadcast NFL games.  They may, but I think there will be some second guessing going on.  While the networks do tend to have deep pockets, they are still in the business to make money, and if the trend toward declining ratings continues, it may well signal the end of wildly inflating NFL profits.  That in turn will necessarily bring and end to wildly inflating player salaries.  When that happens there is going to be a lot of noise made.  It could be very interesting, but probably won't be pleasant.

I think it's a bunch of things, IMO a few glare out at me.

1)When the NFL took the sport away and made it a entertainment venue it is much easier to look at it in a fixed way. Seeing Brady get help going down the field is disgusting to watch every year. Yeah yeah I know he is about to take a record for oldest non kicker QB to win a SB, who cares.

2) this younger generation does not care anymore about football, mostly IMO because of our generation talking to them about how we are all sick and tierd of the bad officials and the same dam teams every SB. If our generation is not happy with the product we are not going to teach the kids to be happy with it either.

3) fewer choices to watch games on TV. Stuck watching bad games before or after your team and also the radio factor of not being able to listen to teams on. The NFL is all about making more money so it takes away all those that spent the time to watch or listen because they do not want to play extra to do it.

4) player protests made a bunch turn it off.

5) If the NFL wants pay per view WWE matches most IMO will keep there money and do other thinhs in life.

So IMO they did it to themselves and it is now coming to a head. Goodell is a huge fail, this entertainment venue is garbage put the sport back in football. Fix the refs and give the fans more to watch on the weekends for free otherwise this decline will not stop IMO. Many liked Howard Stern but put him on Satalite radio and many forget all about him because not pay to listen to a radio considering all the free internet radio available 

• Like (+1) 1

On 28/11/2017 at 9:58 AM, CodeMonkey said:

An interesting perspective and one I happen to agree with.

NFL TV Partners Set To Lose Up To $500 Million On Ratings Decline

Lack of QB talent? Why don't they just going out and get someone good?

25 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I think it's a bunch of things, IMO a few glare out at me.

1)When the NFL took the sport away and made it a entertainment venue it is much easier to look at it in a fixed way. Seeing Brady get help going down the field is disgusting to watch every year. Yeah yeah I know he is about to take a record for oldest non kicker QB to win a SB, who cares.

2) this younger generation does not care anymore about football, mostly IMO because of our generation talking to them about how we are all sick and tierd of the bad officials and the same dam teams every SB. If our generation is not happy with the product we are not going to teach the kids to be happy with it either.

3) fewer choices to watch games on TV. Stuck watching bad games before or after your team and also the radio factor of not being able to listen to teams on. The NFL is all about making more money so it takes away all those that spent the time to watch or listen because they do not want to play extra to do it.

4) player protests made a bunch turn it off.

5) If the NFL wants pay per view WWE matches most IMO will keep there money and do other thinhs in life.

So IMO they did it to themselves and it is now coming to a head. Goodell is a huge fail, this entertainment venue is garbage put the sport back in football. Fix the refs and give the fans more to watch on the weekends for free otherwise this decline will not stop IMO. Many liked Howard Stern but put him on Satalite radio and many forget all about him because not pay to listen to a radio considering all the free internet radio available 

I do think the Pats being dominant, often with league help, diminishes interest.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2017 at 11:08 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Nothing about cord cutting?? His top four doesn't include cord cutting at all? Cord cutting is #1 IMO. I don't watch a lick of MNF or the exclusive NFL network TNF games due to cord cutting. I'm sure I am not alone.

Not a big factor imo. The vast majority of NFL games are on free network over the air TV. Most Thursday night games are not exclusively on NFLN , only MNF has been exclusively cable/ dish for awhile now. A seismic shift in live TV viewing habits among the millennial generation seems to be the biggest contributor to ratings decline of the NFL and TV in general. Far more than anything the NFL has done or hasn't done, I believe . The league will have to adjust to the " new normal" . 

On 11/28/2017 at 12:52 PM, corta765 said:

I saw that also but like you said the ratings were declining pre-Kap anyway. I do think its a factor but the one thing I also noticed was the majority of commenters were 60+ in age if not older which I am not surprised about because they have been the most vocal also about players kneeling and it mimics their parents generation who hated the protests in the 60/70s (remember history repeats). The people opposing the protest do not view the players as people just entertainment like this women:

Brenda Gertsch
I was a lifelong Steeler fan. The political director, Mike Tomlin needs to go. What he has done to this once great franchise for his own political gain is beyond disgraceful. There is a special place in hell for Mike Tomlin. I will not watch because of the protests. These "people" are paid to entertain me with their physical prowess. I do not care about their beliefs and "ideas". If you aren't going to do your job...Go back to the hood and take up rap. Entertain me, or I will go elsewhere. I can't express my views at work. Why should you? They deserve a knee in their groins. With my Sundays free, my home has never been cleaner and more organized.

That pretty much says it all. Once the protest started I am not sure how the NFL is able to put the worms back in the can because at least a part of their viewership will only view the league/players as entertainment and anything that is against their values they are done. I think in a decade the NFL will be different and back up/ahead of now viewership wise but it will require changes and time to pass from those who are upset.

I understand this is a copy paste comment from the comments, but WOW. That’s eye openingly racist. Just wow. 

A half billion in lost revenue means that the networks ONLY make a billion $ in profits rather than $1.5 billion.  I'm sorry, its hard for me to feel sorry for someone who ONLY  makes a billion $ instead o 1.5 billion (or whatever the actual s are- maybe they ONLY make $3 billion rather than $3.5).

Also, if th reason for decline in the 1pm EST Sunday game is due to the oversaturation of Sunday might, Thursday night and other special games, how does the increase in viewers for these "new" games balance against the ratings decline on Sunday.

I'd love to have problems such as this.

On 2017-11-28 at 10:12 AM, Chris66 said:

Networks will still try an outbid each other in nect contract.

Flashback to the year CBS thought it could lowball the NFL, saying it was a loss- leader, and Fox came in with a great offer and CBS woke up and found it was without the NFL after decades of it driving the network.

———

ah the NFL, the only sports situation where 2/3 of the fans sit there watching hours and hours while griping and complaining about it the whole time.....