First segment of WGR morning show today

Big Blitz

I listened to the 8 o'clock hour and the discussion seemed to be if the Bills somehow make it to the playoffs, does this mean they are a good team?  Howard replied that he really wants to see the playoff drought end, but they probably aren't a good team.

I don't think the Bills making the playoffs will decide if this team does anything in the off-season to improve, but the goal of the season is always to make the playoffs.  It will be a moral victory if this team does indeed go to the playoffs.  They need to go there.  Plain and simple AND they need to draft a QB that can help this team in the future.  This is a re-building year, so lets re-build, but lets make the playoffs.  Let's move on from The Chargers game and continue with Tyrod.  Heck, we still would have lost with Tyrod going 4 quarters last week.  Who cares about the Peterman switch!

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Absolutely embarrassing.

"Glad we won but.......the defense won that game."

"Tyrod did not help us win."  Essentially.

Just a joke.   What are we supposed to?  Win every game 31-24?  

Someone posted about the media yesterday.  I don't know if it's the reason why are teams can't win.  But I'm 100 percent sure we've got some of the dumbest fans on Earth and maybe it is why we really don't deserve nice things.  

We get it.  Tyrod ain't Aaron Rodgers.  That can't be fixed today.  There is no QB debate here.  The Trent vs JP and Fitz vs whoever or Orton vs EJ or EJ vs Tyrod days are done.  There is no freaking debate in week 12 of this season.  

Just shut up about the obvious deficiencies of the QB and enjoy the dam win.  We all freaking know we need to be better at the position.  

My God that was embarrassing to listen to.  Win in a stadium the Super Bowl teams never won at....the team saves McDermott by not quitting on him.  We're the freaking 5th seed.

But but but Tyrod didn't throw a perfect ball to O'Leary.  Ridiculous.  

5 pass attempts in the 2nd half. We're too bust running reverses on 3 and 1. He had a great 1st half and we didn't give him many opportunities in the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's not semantics. It's an incorrect statement. You said "The team chose to throw 5 passes in the 2nd half." Which I proved false.

5 pass attempts to 24. 

People like to see Tyrod lose more than they want to see the Bills win.

The morning show guys hate Tyrod. Doesn't matter what happens, Jeremy has to spin every single thing that happens into Tyrod not being good enough. When he's bad, he tells you how awful he is, and when he has good games, he'll just tell you that Tyrod is never going to win a Super Bowl and that in his eyes he's not good enough. He wants one of the top 4-5 QBs in the NFL, and anyone who isn't one of those guys is garbage in his eyes. 

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And Carpaccio, another one who supported the Peterman fiasco, cryptically mentioned Tyrod left plays on the field.  

Are we going to continue mentioning the O'leary completion?

Probably.. because majority of his completions are throws like that

3 minutes ago, unclepete said:

5 pass attempts to 24. 

People like to see Tyrod lose more than they want to see the Bills win.

I don’t think that’s the case at all.  People just realize he’s nothing more than an average QB.  You’ll get wins like this every once in a while and you’ll get games like the Saints game.  Tyrod has played the same way for three years.  If you like average 8-8/9-7 then he’s our guy for the future.  

5 minutes ago, PABillsfan23 said:

Probably.. because majority of his completions are throws like that

I don’t think that’s the case at all.  People just realize he’s nothing more than an average QB.  You’ll get wins like this every once in a while and you’ll get games like the Saints game.  Tyrod has played the same way for three years.  If you like average 8-8/9-7 then he’s our guy for the future.  

How good has Stafford or Rivers record been?

He could be 10-6 or 11-5 in the right situation. He's average like you say. But our team is average and no rookie QB is going to elevate this team above that. Even Deshaun Watson was putting up great numbers but losing. Only a very small number of QBs elevate a team to that extent. I'm not in favor of mediocrity but I'd like to see the team improve before we ruin a QB by throwing him out there with a bad team ( ie Peterson)

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Absolutely embarrassing.

Someone posted about the media yesterday.  I don't know if it's the reason why are teams can't win.  But I'm 100 percent sure we've got some of the dumbest fans on Earth and maybe it is why we really don't deserve nice things.  

We get it.  Tyrod ain't Aaron Rodgers.  That can't be fixed today.  There is no QB debate here.  The Trent vs JP and Fitz vs whoever or Orton vs EJ or EJ vs Tyrod days are done.  There is no freaking debate in week 12 of this season.  

Just shut up about the obvious deficiencies of the QB and enjoy the dam win.  We all freaking know we need to be better at the position.  

My God that was embarrassing to listen to.  Win in a stadium the Super Bowl teams never won at....the team saves McDermott by not quitting on him.  We're the freaking 5th seed.

Its been 17 years, but fans are allowed to still have a brain and think. 

The Chiefs punted 8 times yesterday and kept giving the ball back to the Bills. 

But say like the Raiders last season, is a game where the Bills had a lead, went into an offensive shell, and lost. 

Its okay to call out a weak, wimpy game plan by McD and Dennison. Its nothing but runs and dumpoffs. We did look like a classic, Dick Jauron/Trent Edwards team out there. I mean second drive of the game the team ran the ball on 3rd and 6. 

After 10-0, the Bills absolutely put the brakes on. 72 yards in the second half. 

Its okay to wonder if that's really good enough coming down the stretch here. 

McD strikes me as being a very calculating thinker -- one who does not rush into judgement. Recall that the week he made the switch to Peterman, his initial reaction was to stick with Tyrod. A couple of days later he made the decision to try Peterman. After Peterman's melt-down, he was non-committal about the starter (even implying that he would ride it out with Peterman) before turning back to Tyrod days later. The deliberation has caused the media to cast aspersions on his decision-making -- accusing him of not knowing what he is doing.

Fair enough.

But the QB situation has never been as cut-and-dry as many would make it out to be. Recall that the Bills reluctantly chose to bring Taylor back in the off-season, largely because there simply were no better veteran options available for the same price/value.

Taylor is what he is.  By now, we all know that he is not often going to win many games that devolve into shootouts. That's just not his game. When the Bills are forced to go into pass-mode, defenses know how to protect against that when Taylor is under center. This explains why he is able to put up decent garbage-time stats when games are out-of-hand, but he is rarely able to lead the team on a comeback drive late.

That said, depending on the environment in place, Tyrod could be a VERY successful QB. An example would be Jacksonville. They have a great defense and strong running game -- and are 7-4 even with Blake Bortles occasionally losing (or trying hard to lose) games for them. Placed on a team like that, Taylor would be a head coach's dream: managing the game, rarely turning the ball over and making those 3-4 plays that allow the team to pull out 13-10 type victories.

The problem is that the Bills are not built like that. At least not right now. Early in the season when the defense was shutting opponents down (and raking in all those turnovers), that mirage did indeed appear like the team WAS built that way. So Taylor did a nice job managing those games and getting us to a 5-2 record.

After the Jets and Saints fiascos, I think it dawned on the coaching staff that the defense was not good enough to keep us in games coupled with Taylor's conservative playing style. Since repairing the entire defense is a far greater task than replacing a single player, McD took (as he called it) a "calculated risk" in starting Peterman.

Obviously the call back-fired because Peterman proved he was not (and may never be) ready for prime time. I know also that McD has been under heavy scrutiny due to the timing of his decision. I understood (and still understand) his level of thinking: San Diego's offense had been on a hot streak, and the game looked to be one in which a shootout scenario was highly likely.  Also, the Chargers' defense was going to be well-prepared to defend Taylor, given Lynn's strong familiarity with him. Since the stadium conditions in "LA" are not especially daunting to opposing teams, it was deemed a reasonable situation to start the rookie on the road. Bottom line: contrary to the spin of the national press, McD's intention was not to tank the rest of the season by going with the rookie. He simply did not believe that the Bills could win that particular game with Taylor at QB -- and wanted to see what the rookie (who had looked pretty good in garbage-time action the week before) could bring to the table. He was also hoping to see a large enough sample size on Peterman to help in making a decision about whether or not to pursue a QB early in the 2018 draft.

The "calculated risk" blew up big time also because -- worse than the results on the field-- McD failed to calculate the effect it would have in the locker room. Or the media backlash. Some would paint his decision to go back to Taylor as wish-washy. I actually give him credit for realizing he made a mistake, consulting the team's leaders, coming to the conclusion that the playoffs are still within reach, and determining that Tyrod Taylor represents the best chance to get there. He is a rookie head coach, after all, and to me it is refreshing that he is flexible as opposed to being stubborn to the Gregg Williams degree. Time will tell, of course.

Getting back to the team's long-term view on Tyrod... It is pretty clear that he is not in the long-term plans. If the coaches did not see enough of Peterman in the San Diego game -- and haven't yet in practice -- then I suspect that they will put him back out on the field later this season if/when the Bills are officially eliminated from playoff contention. (Two more losses probably does the trick.) Then at least they will be armed with concrete evidence about whether or not he could potentially be the long-term answer. Marrone selfishly failed to do that at the end of the 2014 season once eliminated -- and went back to the well with Orton when EJ's eventual fate had yet to be decided.

In the likely event that Peterman falls short of proving to be even a reliable bridge QB, the team will find themselves in the same situation that they were in last year. Even if they draft a QB early in the draft, they will probably not be in the position to trade up high enough to grab a blue chip prospect. That means bringing in another veteran (bridge) until the new QB is ready.

And guess what?

The Bills may once again be in the position of reluctantly choosing to bring Tyrod Taylor back as there again are unlikely to be better veteran options available for the same price/value. Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, that ship may be on the verge of sailing -- in which case we will be longing for the days in which Taylor was here to "manage" games.

5 hours ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

So it's settled ?   Rico is the new go to excuse for the TT crowd ? 

I want to know who we are blaming this week for another trademark 180 yard 1 TD game.  

You know just because the QB isn't great, it doesn't give an excuse to an awful OC, right?

It is probably pretty accurate to say Tyrod is an average QB who has flaws in his game, and his OC is making him below average this year because of his awful and predictable play calling. 

Would you at least agree with that?

Or is it the "great" Rico Dennison just getting held back because the Bills have one of the worst QBs in the game?...

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

Tyrod is a qb that the bills should make a real effort to get better then

but

All this talk makes it sound like he is not a NFL quarterback which could not be further from the truth.   He just isn't a franchise guy.

Yes, they certainly need to improve on Taylor. He is the best they have at the moment. He's an NFL quarterback that does very little of what the NFL is currently about, which is passing the football. Absolutely not franchise and probably below average as a QB. The league is mediocre, and having Taylor simply not lose the game with his uber risk-averse style is good enough to hang around the playoff mix these days. Breaking the drought would be huge for the franchise. However, they need to move on from Taylor or acquire his eventual replacement in the offseason. 

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Absolutely embarrassing.

You need to watch the WGR post game call in show if you want a hard Tyrod supporter moderator.

47 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

McD strikes me as being a very calculating thinker -- one who does not rush into judgement. Recall that the week he made the switch to Peterman, his initial reaction was to stick with Tyrod. A couple of days later he made the decision to try Peterman. After Peterman's melt-down, he was non-committal about the starter (even implying that he would ride it out with Peterman) before turning back to Tyrod days later. The deliberation has caused the media to cast aspersions on his decision-making -- accusing him of not knowing what he is doing.

Fair enough.

But the QB situation has never been as cut-and-dry as many would make it out to be. Recall that the Bills reluctantly chose to bring Taylor back in the off-season, largely because there simply were no better veteran options available for the same price/value.

Taylor is what he is.  By now, we all know that he is not often going to win many games that devolve into shootouts. That's just not his game. When the Bills are forced to go into pass-mode, defenses know how to protect against that when Taylor is under center. This explains why he is able to put up decent garbage-time stats when games are out-of-hand, but he is rarely able to lead the team on a comeback drive late.

That said, depending on the environment in place, Tyrod could be a VERY successful QB. An example would be Jacksonville. They have a great defense and strong running game -- and are 7-4 even with Blake Bortles occasionally losing (or trying hard to lose) games for them. Placed on a team like that, Taylor would be a head coach's dream: managing the game, rarely turning the ball over and making those 3-4 plays that allow the team to pull out 13-10 type victories.

The problem is that the Bills are not built like that. At least not right now. Early in the season when the defense was shutting opponents down (and raking in all those turnovers), that mirage did indeed appear like the team WAS built that way. So Taylor did a nice job managing those games and getting us to a 5-2 record.

After the Jets and Saints fiascos, I think it dawned on the coaching staff that the defense was not good enough to keep us in games coupled with Taylor's conservative playing style. Since repairing the entire defense is a far greater task than replacing a single player, McD took (as he called it) a "calculated risk" in starting Peterman.

Obviously the call back-fired because Peterman proved he was not (and may never be) ready for prime time. I know also that McD has been under heavy scrutiny due to the timing of his decision. I understood (and still understand) his level of thinking: San Diego's offense had been on a hot streak, and the game looked to be one in which a shootout scenario was highly likely.  Also, the Chargers' defense was going to be well-prepared to defend Taylor, given Lynn's strong familiarity with him. Since the stadium conditions in "LA" are not especially daunting to opposing teams, it was deemed a reasonable situation to start the rookie on the road. Bottom line: contrary to the spin of the national press, McD's intention was not to tank the rest of the season by going with the rookie. He simply did not believe that the Bills could win that particular game with Taylor at QB -- and wanted to see what the rookie (who had looked pretty good in garbage-time action the week before) could bring to the table. He was also hoping to see a large enough sample size on Peterman to help in making a decision about whether or not to pursue a QB early in the 2018 draft.

The "calculated risk" blew up big time also because -- worse than the results on the field-- McD failed to calculate the effect it would have in the locker room. Or the media backlash. Some would paint his decision to go back to Taylor as wish-washy. I actually give him credit for realizing he made a mistake, consulting the team's leaders, coming to the conclusion that the playoffs are still within reach, and determining that Tyrod Taylor represents the best chance to get there. He is a rookie head coach, after all, and to me it is refreshing that he is flexible as opposed to being stubborn to the Gregg Williams degree. Time will tell, of course.

Getting back to the team's long-term view on Tyrod... It is pretty clear that he is not in the long-term plans. If the coaches did not see enough of Peterman in the San Diego game -- and haven't yet in practice -- then I suspect that they will put him back out on the field later this season if/when the Bills are officially eliminated from playoff contention. (Two more losses probably does the trick.) Then at least they will be armed with concrete evidence about whether or not he could potentially be the long-term answer. Marrone selfishly failed to do that at the end of the 2014 season once eliminated -- and went back to the well with Orton when EJ's eventual fate had yet to be decided.

In the likely event that Peterman falls short of proving to be even a reliable bridge QB, the team will find themselves in the same situation that they were in last year. Even if they draft a QB early in the draft, they will probably not be in the position to trade up high enough to grab a blue chip prospect. That means bringing in another veteran (bridge) until the new QB is ready.

And guess what?

The Bills may once again be in the position of reluctantly choosing to bring Tyrod Taylor back as there again are unlikely to be better veteran options available for the same price/value. Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, that ship may be on the verge of sailing -- in which case we will be longing for the days in which Taylor was here to "manage" games.

This is widely inaccurate.  The last 2 years there have been 4 trades to move up.  The largest was for Geof 15 to 1.  that took 2016 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2017 1st and 3rd.  Buffalo could do this same trade.  Still have the #1 overall the lower of their natural pick and KC in the first and a second rd pick.  All they would miss out on would be no third rd pick this year but will still have over 7 draft picks with no other moves.  Or if you dont want to kick the can.  you could throw in both this years number 1s and forgo next years picks.  They have the the ammo to move up if the team doesn't want the Qb too.