First segment of WGR morning show today

Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Basically agreeing with you here but -

The Bills threw the ball 5 times in the second half. F-I-V-E

That SCREAMS one of 2 things (there are really no OTHER possibilities)

1 - They don't trust TT and the O to continue to produce like they did in the 1st half for some reason

2 - They believe in the philosophy to 'shut it down', punt and let the defense win the game for you when you have a lead on the road.

There is nothing about TT's deficiencies that caused anything in this game beyond (arguably) the completion to O'leary you mentioned.

5 passes in the second half people...

But 5 Interceptions with Peterman and pulling out all the stops vs. SD.....

F'ing hilarious if it wasn't so sad......

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Nope.

No position is more consequential then QB.

You can get away with poor outside linebacker play.

Not bad QB play.  He did his job.  He ran the awful play calls coming from Rico.  And we won.  You can't just brush off the QB bc he didn't throw for 300 and 3 TDs.

I agree with this to an extent. Taylor can only do so much with the plays he is told to run. However, I think some of the play calling is due to Rico thinking he has to "hide" Taylor. What happened to the designed roll outs? Moving pockets? Things that Rico could call to maximize Taylor's skill set.

That being said however, as a QB he has to put his receivers in position to be successful. The O'Leary pass is a prime example of that. Too many times you see the pass completed and the WR tackled immediately. No RAC. 

Also people that criticize his passing yards often fail to include his rush yards. If he runs for 60 and passes for 200 that is still 260 yards of total offense. Sorry but I fail to care if he completes a 10 yard pass or he runs for a 10 yard gain. Offense moves the same. 

In short, he's not as good as his supporters try to claim, but he isn't as bad as those against him make him out to be. 

Edited by KelsaysLunchbox

2 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

I love when the WGR announcers say gems like, "I'm positive that it might be the most controversial quarterback situation in the league."

Who says that Jeremy, signed John hummer

16 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Points scored accounts for defensive and special teams touchdowns and can be misleading due to number of possessions. Score percentage is a much more accurate measure because it's the percentage of offensive drives that result in an offensive score.

Score percentage is not the best measure,

an offense nursing a lead will not even try to score. Offensive TDs per game is a more accurate representation of the offense’s performance.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-touchdowns-per-game?date=2016-12-27

Before the final Jets game last year we were tied for 6th in offensive TDs per game. That includes the 2 games Roman coached. I know with Lynn as OC and Tyrod as QB we scored 27 PPG (total) which would rank 7th this year.

Our scoring offense has dropped off substantially.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The recipe for the Bills to get a Wild Card is play great team defense and run an efficient enough offense with no turnovers.  From the outside looking in, it looks like the play calling sucks and is way too conservative.  But what do you do with a QB that doesn't take chances?  That has to be a tough spot for an OC.  I am not a huge Dennison fan either, but the man's hands are tied.  KC had 2 spies on TT, so he couldn't run wild or roll out or he was toast.  He doesn't throw down field much, so what does that leave?  I really don't know what else he can do but hope to put up close to 20 points a week with conservative clock burning play calls...

Edited by ricojes

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

He absolutely does. He's just very passive-aggressive about it.

I listen to WGR every morning and just listened to his last segment.

He's like most people, doesn't think at all he's a long term answer.  He said it this morning.  He just think he's limited but does say he's overall right around average but would like to do better.

47 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Points scored accounts for defensive and special teams touchdowns and can be misleading due to number of possessions. Score percentage is a much more accurate measure because it's the percentage of offensive drives that result in an offensive score.

There's no way the Bills were 7th in the NFL in score percentage going into Week 17 last season.

Going into a shell isn't an offensive strategy. It's how our starting QB plays...whether they're ahead or multiple scores behind.

I won't go into looking at week 16 as I simply don't feel like doing the research, but last season (including the week 17 ugliness) the Bills were 9th in Points/Drive with 2.18, 10th in Drive Success Rate (0.719), 6th in TDs/Drive (0.264), 2nd in TD/FG (5.36), 5th in Points/RedZone Appearance (5.36), and 5th in TDs/RedZone Appearance (0.660). To think there's no way they were higher before a ridiculous 10 point outing against a team with nothing to play for is a bit silly.

23 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Tyrod gave the Chiefs every chance to win during that game by not making enough plays to shut the door. We were just lucky that the Chiefs are more inept than we are. 

wrong -

The team chose to throw 5 passes in the 2nd half, Not Tyrod (who was successful throwing the ball in the 1st half by the way).

Combine that with no audibles allowed in Dennison's offense...

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well then lets take a look at last year.

New England ran about as much as the Bills and weren't bottom of the league in passing and scored a lot.

Atlanta ran just a little less than the Bills (4 less attempts) and weren't bottom of the league in passing and scored a lot.

Pittsburgh ran just a little less than the Bills (4 less attempts) and weren't bottom of the league in passing.

Seattle was in the middle with both.

Oakland was top 15 in both.

In fact, Indy last year threw the ball .8 less than the Bills per game.  We were 30th in passing, they were 6th.  Cincy threw less than us last year, 31st in passing attempts but were 15th in total yards.  

Problem is we are one dimensional.  How many teams now have said "make Tyrod play QB" is the way to beat them?  What does that mean to you?

Don't forget Dallas.

15 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

wrong -

The team chose to throw 5 passes in the 2nd half, Not Tyrod (who was successful throwing the ball in the 1st half by the way).

Combine that with no audibles allowed in Dennison's offense...

Wrong

First drive, 9:00+ in 3rd quarter, up 13-10:

Pass (complete to Clay)

Run 

Pass (sack)

Pass (screen to Cadet)

Second drive, 4:38 in 3rd quarter, up 16-10:

Pass (Tyrod scrambles for 9 yards)

Run 

Pass (sack)

Third drive, 0:31 in 3rd quarter, up 16-10:

Run

Run

Pass (incomplete)

Fourth drive, 12:04 in 4th quarter, up 16-10:

Pass (complete to McCoy)

Run

Pass (Tyrod scrambles for 3 yards)

Run

Run

Pass (complete to O'Leary)

Run

Fifth drive, 2:49 in 4th quarter, up 16-10 - predetermined to force KC to use all three timeouts

So before the final drive that was predetermined by McDermott, in a game where they were ahead the entire half thanks to the defense, Dennison called nine pass plays to eight run plays.

25 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Wrong

First drive, 9:00+ in 3rd quarter, up 13-10:

Pass (complete to Clay)

Run 

Pass (sack)

Pass (screen to Cadet)

Second drive, 4:38 in 3rd quarter, up 16-10:

Pass (Tyrod scrambles for 9 yards)

Run 

Pass (sack)

Third drive, 0:31 in 3rd quarter, up 16-10:

Run

Run

Pass (incomplete)

Fourth drive, 12:04 in 4th quarter, up 16-10:

Pass (complete to McCoy)

Run

Pass (Tyrod scrambles for 3 yards)

Run

Run

Pass (complete to O'Leary)

Run

Fifth drive, 2:49 in 4th quarter, up 16-10 - predetermined to force KC to use all three timeouts

So before the final drive that was predetermined by McDermott, in a game where they were ahead the entire half thanks to the defense, Dennison called nine pass plays to eight run plays.

Semantics.

24 attempts in the 1st half to 5 in the second half, give or take a sack or two ... same point. We tucked and punted INTENTIONALLY.

That 1st 3rd quarter drive you bring up gave us a field goal, which is when the COACHES pulled the plug.

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Semantics.

24 attempts in the 1st half to 5 in the second half, give or take a sack or two ... same point. We tucked and punted INTENTIONALLY.

That 1st 3rd quarter drive you bring up gave us a field goal, which is when the COACHES pulled the plug.

It's not semantics. It's an incorrect statement. You said "The team chose to throw 5 passes in the 2nd half." Which I proved false.

3 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Tyrod did enough to have the defense protect the game.

This is about all that matters.  We know who Tyrod is, and how to win with him, even if it's painfully boring.

He certainly didn't turn the ball over 5 times, or get in the way, or make it difficult to win, which should frankly be the topic of conversation right now.  Peterman clearly isn't the answer so what exactly can be done until the draft?  Lots of unnecessary chatter about a topic that's incredibly straight forward in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's not semantics. It's an incorrect statement. You said "The team chose to throw 5 passes in the 2nd half." Which I proved false.

You are correct there, however my point still holds, especially once the extra FG was scored.

Coaches shut the thing down.

24 attempts that made it to the level of "attempt" in 1st half.

5 in the second half. (woulda been 7 with 2 sacks, one was a designed qb draw)

Hence 29 pass attempts for TT total

Edited by 34-78-83