What was the purpose of drafting Peterman?

Steptide

This is something I've questioned since pre season. Imo, Tyrod was never gonna be here past 2017. So in theory I could  see the bills drafting Peterman as a backup because Manuel was gone. 

But here is where I get confused. If Peterman was drafted as a backup, why start him now? I can't imagine the bills drafted a 5th rounder thinking he's our future. My guess is the plan is to draft a qb in 18. But again, why would you start Peterman if you're going to just  draft a qb in 2018? Has Peterman shown something that made them think he could potentially be a long term starter? And if by some miracle he does show promise this season, then do they not draft a qb in the high rounds next year? Are the bills gonna fall into the same trap they always have? 

because they already had plans to rid the roster of TT when they got here. they asked the man to take a pay cut in order to stay on the team (essentially), and he obliged. they've never really wanted nor respected him. last week's decision is more proof. 

people have this inane animosity towards TT, which is absurd considering he's been nothing but model player and leader. he has flaws. if they want to move on from TT, fine, but don't disrespect the man.

They drafted him because their evaluations of him as a prospect told them to draft him, they evaluated him favorably compared to guys like Mahomes or Watson relative to cost of drafting him.  It's also good business to have a cheap young QB on the roster to potentially develop.  They started him because they wanted to see what he could do.  If he ran with the job successfully, they would likely view him as the starter this offseason and either sign a vet backup or potentially used another late round pick on a QB.  If he's a complete failure, they draft one early if there's one they like.

If by "fall into the same trap they always do" means win 6-7 games, pick 9th, draft after all the prime QB prospects are off the board in an area that's traditionally been a wasteland for QB talent (the mid-late 1st), then yes, they are going to fall into the same trap they always do.  The Browns have to go QB #1, if they trade away ANOTHER franchise QB the closest anyone there gets to working in football again is cold calling to sell season ticket packages.  The 49ers likely put their pick up for auction, the Colts and Bears may do the same, the Giants and Broncos also have to be looking at the QBs.  A franchise QB is the only way this thing really gets fixed, but man, I'm hesitant to see what the price tag would be to go from pick ~12 ish to pick #2, and still potentially not get the guy we really want.

10 minutes ago, PABillsfan23 said:

They should draft a QB every year until they hit on one.  

Like the Jets?

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Cause you dont know what you really have till you do. They didn't draft him necessarily to be a backup, And its too early to give up on Nate after 1 start...

I doubt the Patriots knew they had arguably the best QB to play the game when they took Brady in the 6th.. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

They drafted him because their evaluations of him as a prospect told them to draft him, they evaluated him favorably compared to guys like Mahomes or Watson relative to cost of drafting him.  It's also good business to have a cheap young QB on the roster to potentially develop.  They started him because they wanted to see what he could do.  If he ran with the job successfully, they would likely view him as the starter this offseason and either sign a vet backup or potentially used another late round pick on a QB.  If he's a complete failure, they draft one early if there's one they like.

If by "fall into the same trap they always do" means win 6-7 games, pick 9th, draft after all the prime QB prospects are off the board in an area that's traditionally been a wasteland for QB talent (the mid-late 1st), then yes, they are going to fall into the same trap they always do.  The Browns have to go QB #1, if they trade away ANOTHER franchise QB the closest anyone there gets to working in football again is cold calling to sell season ticket packages.  The 49ers likely put their pick up for auction, the Colts and Bears may do the same, the Giants and Broncos also have to be looking at the QBs.  A franchise QB is the only way this thing really gets fixed, but man, I'm hesitant to see what the price tag would be to go from pick ~12 ish to pick #2, and still potentially not get the guy we really want.

Like the Jets?

Gotta give them credit for trying to find one

Why does anyone draft a QB?  teams hope they hit on one and if they are decent can be an inexpensive backup.  As for Peterman, his draft grade in some circles was very close to Kizer and Mahomes so getting him in the 5th was a steal.   Too bad McD's out-of-the-box decision backfired and could screw up Nate's future career.  I'm not doing the hindsight thing...I said last week they should NOT start Peterman on the road, but wait until the Indy home game.  It's likely they would lose LA, KC and NE and be out of it anyway.

Obviosly they didn't want to spend a high pick, and there are plaenty of later round qb's playing productive (or downright elite), so I just don't see merit in your premise.

If NP lit it up last week you wouod not question it.

It's the same reason every team drafts a qb, they don't believe TT is the answer and are trying to win on a scratch off.

Like my grandfather always says. You should draft a low risk QB every year because you never know when one turns out to be the next great QB. With a 5th rd it was a very low risk and we needed a backup. He outplayed Cardale and Yates in the preseason and earned the backup job. I still don't think we have seen the last of Peterman and I do believe he's not as bad as he showed in Los Angeles. Traveling to the west coast and going against the best pass rushing duo in the league was a tall task to hand over to an inexperienced rookie.

Honestly, they should’ve started him every game this season. If he looked decent then good. If he looked awful, we would’ve had a top 3 pick.

Where I blame McBean is trying to win now and later at the same time. You can’t do it.

NP was drafted because he possesses enough of the traits worth investing a later round pick in to see if he can be developed. 

He was picked to start the Chargers game by McD in an effort to light a fire under this team, including the defense. 

It didn't work. 

Time to move on. 

No need to analyze it any further. 

Our far bigger concern is why this team didn't respond after the Jest game and why they responded even worse after the Saints game.