Bills vs. Chargers Postgame

26CornerBlitz

I hear Peterman accidentally showed up at the Chargers press conference

2 minutes ago, moshermw said:

Wow. 2 pages and no one has blamed Dennison yet.

The common denominator between Peterman and TT is him.

At least for the O, this is all on him.

Bills scored 24 today with TT and Shady being stars in spite of his shvtty play calling.

Dennison hasn’t had a good offense in over 5 years. He is the Rex Ryan of the offense except somehow worse.

• Haha (+1) 1

Sean McDermott's decision to bench Tyrod Taylor put Bills in free-fall

Giving Nathan Peterman a shot appealed to McDermott and the fans who supported his decision to bench Taylor, but reality came quickly and harshly.

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Nathan Peterman: "I didn't play very well. When those things start happening, I've got to let it go." Peterman says he needs to "trust in God" and "trust in a higher power."

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nathan Peterman: "I didn't play very well. When those things start happening, I've got to let it go." Peterman says he needs to "trust in God" and "trust in a higher power."

Peterman playing the "God" card...

Well let me play the Zeppelin card, "crying won't help you, praying won't do you no good."

I am as upset about the game as anyone, but I'm not into reacting emotionally.  The Bills' problems right now are spread across the team, both offense and defense.  There are tons of questions and not many good answers.  I suspect the Bills are in for a few more tough games on the way to a losing season . . . again, but the important thing is to find some real answers.  Tyrod played better today, but last week he was part of the problem.   I'm not convinced he is the answer at QB.  Peterman was awful, but I'm not certain at some point he can't be the answer at QB, but at this point it looks like the Bills will need to address the QB position early in the draft, which in a way is a shame because there are lots of other things they need to address, like the offensive line and the defensive front seven.  I think some of the position coaches and coordinators should start to worry some about their job security.  I'm not saying anybody is going to be canned today or tomorrow, but McDermott has to look at the coaching as well as the play on the field, and if the sloppy, undisciplined play and mistakes continue, the inevitable conclusion is that some of the coaches are not doing their job.

28 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Peterman playing the "God" card...

Well let me play the Zeppelin card, "crying won't help you, praying won't do you no good."

Unless God is a stud offensive lineman, or a gifted wide receiver, He ain't going to do Peterman much good on Sunday afternoons.

TOP 5 GRADES:

Dion Dawkins84.0 overall grade

RB LeSean McCoy81.5 overall grade

CB Leonard Johnson81.3 overall grade

QB Tyrod Taylor81.1 overall grade

CB Tre’Davious White80.0 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:

QB NATHAN PETERMAN32.0 OVERALL GRADE

The start of the Peterman era in Buffalo did not get off to a good start, as he lasted just one half and threw five interceptions in that half. Not all of those interceptions were his fault, but it was clear that Peterman was not as ready as Buffalo may have thought when they named him starter. He didn’t complete a pass on the five plays he was under pressure, throwing four of his picks on those plays. He just didn’t look confident compared to Tyrod Taylor, who came in for the second half and completed 4-of-7 passes for 68 yards and a touchdown when under pressure.

RB LESEAN MCCOY81.5 OVERALL GRADE

McCoy did what he could to help this Bills offense in this game, and bounced back from a bit of a rough stretch with this game. He needed just 13 rushing attempts to rack up 114 yards, a touchdown and a missed tackle forced. He had three runs of more than 15 yards and gained 39 yards after contact. McCoy also chipped in in the passing game, running a beautiful route in the second half and catching a touchdown on his only reception on the day.

CB LEONARD JOHNSON81.3 OVERALL GRADE

For two consecutive weeks not much has gone right for the Bills defense, surrendering 101 total points over their last two games. There were a few bright spots in the secondary, as Johnson was targeted four times, allowing two catches for 24 yards on 29 coverage snaps. The veteran has a passer rating of 93.8 when thrown his way on the season.

CB TRE’DAVIOUS WHITE80.0 OVERALL GRADE

The Bills’ first-round pick out of LSU has been a pleasant surprise for them this season, he continued his impressive season on Sunday as he was targeted four times, allowing two catches for only 19 yards. White has recorded 10 pass break ups on the year and has limited opposing receivers to catching only 51 percent of the passes thrown in his direction.

33 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I am as upset about the game as anyone, but I'm not into reacting emotionally.  The Bills' problems right now are spread across the team, both offense and defense.  There are tons of questions and not many good answers.  I suspect the Bills are in for a few more tough games on the way to a losing season . . . again, but the important thing is to find some real answers.  Tyrod played better today, but last week he was part of the problem.   I'm not convinced he is the answer at QB.  Peterman was awful, but I'm not certain at some point he can't be the answer at QB, but at this point it looks like the Bills will need to address the QB position early in the draft, which in a way is a shame because there are lots of other things they need to address, like the offensive line and the defensive front seven.  I think some of the position coaches and coordinators should start to worry some about their job security.  I'm not saying anybody is going to be canned today or tomorrow, but McDermott has to look at the coaching as well as the play on the field, and if the sloppy, undisciplined play and mistakes continue, the inevitable conclusion is that some of the coaches are not doing their job.

Taylor is the bridge to the next guy nothing more. Terrible decision by McDermott to pull him for a rookie and those are the kind of decisions that can make you lose a locker room real quick. The offensive line is terrible and Peterman was put in a tough spot when there are holes all over this team. Although I would prefer to keep starting Peterman as I feel the season is lost anyway. It would be a hard sell to the rest of the locker room so I think they will go back to Taylor next week.

48 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

And as inconceivable as it seems, if Tyrod can be a QB next week and beat a reeling Chiefs team , the Bills will be a serious WC contender yet again ...

Stop.  It’s over.  Titans and Ravens have cotton-candy schedules the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Stop.  It’s over.  Titans and Ravens have cotton-candy schedules the rest of the way.

Well honestly I don't think the Bills are any good, just that the AFC is bad, bad bad. I thought the Bills were going to lose today regardless of who played QB, but it was an easy venue with no partisan crowd so why not try the rook? It didn't work but McD was very non committal when asked about the QB move being long term earlier in the week. So obviously they go back to Tyrod now. I'm not at all confident , but some fans seem to think he's a pretty good QB. The Chiefs are fading fast and are ripe to lose at home as maybe any team not named the Browns. We will see what Taylor can do. He came up small vs the mediocre Jets and a good Saints team that obviously can be scored upon if today is any indication . I don't think it will happen but who knows. The Titans will be in as well as the Jags and Flacco can have some really bad games . Stranger things have happened. 

Dennison definitely has to be fired.  I'm convinced that not a single coach on this staff knows how to develop a quarterback....and that's dangerous for this team.  Really think that Beane should take a hard look at this and decide whether to even keep Sean McDermott after this season as well.  Starting a 5th round rookie quarterback while your team was very much alive in the playoffs is a fireable offense for me.   It also shows that finding an average QB is so hard (Tyrod's an average QB, we should at least keep him for another year or so and draft/develop a first round QB.) 

NFL.com: What we learned from Sunday's Week 11 contests

Chargers 54, Bills 24

1a. The ill-timed benching of Tyrod Taylor looks like one of the season's most disastrous decisions. Making his pro debut, Bills rookie quarterback Nathan Peterman unfurled a whopping five first-half picks over his first 14 NFL attempts. Korey Toomer returned the initial giveaway for a 59-yard pick six and safety Casey Hayward pulled down a pair of interceptions, while Tre Boston and Trevor Williamsnabbed one apiece. Endless pressure from edge rusher Joey Bosa played a major role in Peterman tossing more interceptions in his first start than Taylor and Tom Brady have each flung all year.

1b. By the time Taylor entered in the second half, Buffalo trailed 40-7 with zero shot to win against a Chargersteam with 31 points of takeaways. Taylor accounted for 196 total yards, generated 14 points, made good use of LeSean McCoy (114 rushing yards and two scores), and easily looked like the better option -- making his benching all the more unpalatable. Expect plenty of criticism all week long in Western New York, both inside and out team walls.

2. Peterman's waterfall of gaffes handed the Bolts fantastic field position as Los Angeles jumped out to a 37-7 lead at the break, their highest first-half output in Chargers history. Their 54 points on Sunday were the most by a Bolts team since 1985. Philip Rivers came out throwing -- logging 30-plus attempts for the eighth time in nine games -- and played his best football in weeks. Melvin Gordon piled up 80 yards rushing while wideout Keenan Allen anchored the air attack with two touchdowns and 159 yards off 12 receptions. For all the heat dumped on Peterman, this Bills defense gave up 429 yards and never put up a fight.

3. The Bills fall to 5-5, an incredibly depressing mark after Sean McDermott looked like a coach of the year candidate three weeks ago. It's tough to feel optimistic about Buffalo with the Chiefs up next and two games left against the robotically perfect Patriots. The Bolts, meanwhile, sit at 4-6 with an outside shot at a wild-card spot in the dangerously mediocre AFC. Their Thanksgiving Day tilt with the Cowboys looms large.

-- Marc Sessler

Man, these Buffalo sports weekends have been brutal...

2 weeks in a row now we had the Sabres play Friday + Saturday and the Bills on Sunday. 2 weeks in a row they lost all 3 games.

We have 3 more weekends in a row with 3 Buffalo games. I'm not sure how much more I can take.

It's not even the losing, it's that both teams have just looked absolutely brutal doing so. It really makes you question everything - coaches, players, direction of the team etc etc. I hate it. I know we have 2 rookie coaches with rebuilding teams and have to be patient, but damn it's tough at times (like right after a brutal loss). 

Quarterback Philip Rivers talks to the media following the win over the Buffalo Bills in Week 11.

Chargers defensive lineman talks to the media after the win.

Stats, notes, quotes and more.

The win over the Bills is one that will last in the memory banks for a long time.

One of the game’s true ironmen, Rivers described the whole week as uncharted territory.

Plenty of Arrows Down after an ugly loss

Top 3 things we learned from Bills-Chargers

top-3-week-11-story.jpg

Nate Peterman's first NFL start could not have gone any worse, but he wasn't alone in a game where some of Buffalo's most pressing problems resurfaced again.

What they're saying: Bills evaluate their loss to the Chargers

1119-wts-postgame.jpg

Sean McDermott, Nathan Peterman, Tyrod Taylor and others discuss Sunday's game and the team's mindset moving forward.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

L.A. Chargers 54-24 over Buffalo

BUF.png Bills: F

Bills coach Sean McDermott gets an "F" here for his decision to bench Tyrod Taylor. In what might go down as the worst coaching decision of all time, McDermott's decision backfired in a historical fashion. In just one half of action, new Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman completed almost as many passes to the Chargers (five) as he did to his own teammates (six). Peterman's five interceptions in the first half were more than Taylor had thrown the entire season (three). Thankfully, McDermott benched Peterman at halftime and didn't let him add to his embarrassing total. 

LAC.png Chargers: A

It's not often that a player can rack up 159 receiving yards and two touchdowns and get overshadowed in a game, but that's exactly what happened to Keenan Allen. Allen's impressive numbers were basically a sideshow to the circus that was Nathan Peterman's performance. The Chargers' defense abused the Bills rookie quarterback, and really, just abused the Bills all day. Not only did the Chargers' defense pick off five passes, but they also scored two touchdowns. One of those came on a 59-yard pick-six from Korey Toomer while the other one came on a fumble return by Melvin Ingram. The 54 points scored by the Chargers was the team's most since they also scored 54 in 1985. 

CBS Sports Game Grades: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-11-grades-collapsing-chiefs-get-a-d-vikings-get-an-a-for-throttling-rams/

NFL 2017 Week 11 Grades: Big F for Buffalo (2:42)

Pete Prisco and Jon Beason join Nick Kostos to discuss their report cards for the Bills, Chiefs, and Giants.

4 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

I don't see a video of the postgame press conference on the Bills app... reporters must have quit too...

WGR Audio is up in the interim. 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Thanks man

You're welcome.

Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer 

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn liked that his team played mistake-free football: "What I took away from this game was, we played smart. Regardless of who they started at quarterback, we didn't play dumb football. We had one penalty the whole game, and we didn't get it until the fourth quarter. That's what we emphasize and what's what we need."