Lets get crazy--Andrew Luck

dayman

On 12/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Dawkins makes him expendable, plus he's missed half the games the past 2 years and has a $14.45 M cap hit next year. I'm not saying run him out of town, but I also want a franchise QB. 

Dawkins may make him expendable but Mills makes him an asset.

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. The NFL is littered with the bodies of careers that seemed promising and started hot.  THE ONLY THING anyone can EVER say  positive about Luck all last occurred over 3 years ago.  And Colts have not had a winning record since Lucks 3rd year in the league in 2014.
  2. The year before they had Luck, they had a starting QB who didn't deserve to be on an NFL roster, let alone starting.  So its exact polar opposites created a massively exaggerated impact.  Even in 2015 without Luck and a decent backup QB, that backup had a BETTER record than with Luck.
  3. More on 2015:  2-5 with Luck and 5-3 with Hasselbeck with the SAME exact roster.  
  4. The Colts were in the weakest division in the NFL when Luck came into it.  That division isn't weak anymore.
  5. And when he "turned" those Colts around...what did he do next?  Completely fall apart in the playoffs EACH of those THREE years.  Never once posting more TD's than INT's in each of those playoff years.  His play SUBSTANTIALLY dropped off in every measurable way in the playoffs when he was facing better completion. 

So sorry, Luck hasn't done anything in 3 years but produce a losing record, struggle to stay on the field, and continue is HIGH turnover ratio while also the Colts did NOT sniff the playoffs.  Everyone likes to point to the turnaround in record after drafting Luck...who cares, the guy he replaces isn't even in the NFL anymore and had no business starting.  If you put the absolute worst QB into a starting role, that team won't win.  

I mean look at SF this year...1 win team all year...they get Jimmy and now are 4-0 with the EXACT same roster where Marquise Goodwin is his top WR.  Not saying Luck had nothing to do with the turnaround, but the difference was so dramatic because of how BAD the previous guy was.  So Luck gets grossly over exaggerated from that point on despite doing squat in three playoff runs (actually pretty bad), struggling to win with the Colts once the division he is in got better, and never got his turnovers under control.  And now, he can't even stay on the field to go with all that and carries a NASTY cap killing contract.  

By no means am I saying he is a terrible QB, I am merely stating he is grossly over exaggerated to levels he has not yet reached and has a contract that vastly over pays for what he is doing on the field.

Not that I put much stock in qb win-loss records, but Luck had a winning record last year as the Colts' starting qb (8-7). I'm admittedly a fan of his and think that his ability to lead THAT garbage organization to 3 consecutive 11-5 seasons is one more impressive accomplishments in recent years.

Edited by dave mcbride

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Not that I put much stock in qb win-loss records, but Luck had a winning record last year as the Colts' starting qb (8-7). I'm admittedly a fan of his and think that his ability to lead THAT garbage organization to 3 consecutive 11-5 seasons is one more impressive accomplishments in recent years.

I was referencing his record over the last 3 years when I made that comment.  

I know my post sounds hyper negative on Luck, but its not like I think Luck is terrible by any means.  I think his CONTRACT is terrible.  The thing is, when you go back and look at the turnaround in Lucks rookie year, its HEAVILY skewed by how atrocious the QB position was the year before.  Again I point out how bad SF was before Jimmy and is now undefeated and 4-0 with Jimmy and he is still learning his offense and teammates.  When your starting QB is atrocious, your team will struggle to win.  So were the Colts really just a 2 win TEAM...or was the QB position so bad it drove them into the ground?  

Its not like they had someone like Tyrod and won just 2 games then drafted luck and went to double digit wins.  Their QB position was one of the worst the NFL has seen in the last 20 years the year before they drafted Luck.  And that division was also one of the weakest divisions in the NFL those first 3 years.  

And QB's are supposed to get better as they move forward.  Luck hasn't shown a lot of growth.  Each of the 3 playoff years he was personally terrible.  His turnover rate is still Cutler-esque.  The Colts had a better record without him then with him in 2015.  And because he won't change how he plays he can't even stay on the field either.  

I get why you are a fan, many are...and I have nothing against him, but I just feel that his legend is greater than his resume to this point.  And his contract is one of the worst in the NFL...a cap choking contract for a guy who can't stay on the field whose best seasons all occurred over 3 years ago.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

On 11/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, dayman said:
On 11/16/2017 at 9:23 PM, Buffalo716 said:

It would still take a kings ransom to pull Andrew Luck

Would it? Just b/c the owner is an insane opioid addict? I'm not seeing Luck pulling the same value it would take to move up to get a top 5 QB at this point...

Luck might be had for a 4th and a bag of Oxy

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was referencing his record over the last 3 years when I made that comment.  

I know my post sounds hyper negative on Luck, but its not like I think Luck is terrible by any means.  I think his CONTRACT is terrible.  The thing is, when you go back and look at the turnaround in Lucks rookie year, its HEAVILY skewed by how atrocious the QB position was the year before.  Again I point out how bad SF was before Jimmy and is now undefeated and 4-0 with Jimmy and he is still learning his offense and teammates.  When your starting QB is atrocious, your team will struggle to win.  So were the Colts really just a 2 win TEAM...or was the QB position so bad it drove them into the ground?  

Its not like they had someone like Tyrod and won just 2 games then drafted luck and went to double digit wins.  Their QB position was one of the worst the NFL has seen in the last 20 years the year before they drafted Luck.  And that division was also one of the weakest divisions in the NFL those first 3 years.  

And QB's are supposed to get better as they move forward.  Luck hasn't shown a lot of growth.  Each of the 3 playoff years he was personally terrible.  His turnover rate is still Cutler-esque.  The Colts had a better record without him then with him in 2015.  And because he won't change how he plays he can't even stay on the field either.  

I get why you are a fan, many are...and I have nothing against him, but I just feel that his legend is greater than his resume to this point.  And his contract is one of the worst in the NFL...a cap choking contract for a guy who can't stay on the field whose best seasons all occurred over 3 years ago.  

He wasn't terrible in the playoffs. He had a couple bad games. There is a difference.

My gut is that Luck can be had and acquiring him would not command a king's ransom, given his contract and the shoulder injury.

I'm not a big fan of Luck, but the Bills have more talent than any team he has played for in Indy.

Edited by Chicken Boo

18 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

My gut is that Luck can be had and acquiring him would not command a king's ransom, given his contract and the shoulder injury.

I'm not a big fan of Luck, but the Bills have more talent than any team he has played for in Indy.

If he's 100% healthy, the trade would command a king's ransom. If there are major concerns about his shoulder, I can't see any team trading for him.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'd be surprised if Ballard dealt him if he's back to good health.

I totally agree. We are only talking about this because some poster decided to start a thread on it. It would be crazy for the Colts to trade him if he's healthy.

• Like (+1) 1