ESPN Claims Taylor claiming racial motivation for benching?

oldmanfan

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Max Kellerman's argument for racism playing a part in NFL quarterbacks is that "there are no black Blake Bortles!"

DYAR.jpg.ba26ea55adaf9849cdbc5fbfa0a04f8b.jpg

giphy.gif

Isn't Kellerman a Boxing analyst?

Since when is he the foremost authority on NFL QB's

Thankfully the Bills have Peterman but I would take Bortles over TT at this point.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Doesnt happen to a white guy huh?

Trent Edwards, a white QB, struggled in 2010 early on.  He wasn’t benched after 2 games, he was cut.  

The media is full of dunderheads

Always out to make it a race issue when it's a QB execution problem

ive wanted the best for TT for years as you know but he just doesn't get it done from the pocket

which I believe IMO is a necessity 

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

FTF on the same wave.

That stat about Tyrod being one of only 4 QBs with 10+ TDs and 3 or fewer INTs is such BS. 10 TDs after 9 games isn't impressive at all. The stat should just read as the only starting QBs with 3 or fewer INTs.

And then he talks up Tyrod's performance against the Jets. Any Bills fan knows that 75% of those stats were achieved in garbage time.

Russell Wilson fell to the third round because he was short, not because of his race. Of course, there is no mention of Jamarcus Russell or RG3 going in the top 2 overall picks. I am no fan of our president, but this clip is the epitome of FAKE NEWS!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Regardless if he said it recently or not, the narrative is out there.  Heard it yesterday on WGR and now ESPN is running with it.  Bottom line is good Quarterbacks dont get benched.

Ask Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb, Dante Culpepper in Minnesota, Michael Vick, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston and you can even add Marcus Mariota to that mix because I dont think its fair to limit the scope of the statement.

The statement is wrong, and detrimental in so many ways.  

Something like 70-80 percent of NFL players are black, and blacks make up the majority of players at every position except QB and special positions like kickers and long snappers.  Less than a third (10 of 32) of the starting QBs are/have been black this season ... and that includes Brent Hundley who is replacing the injured Aaron Rodgers as well as Jacoby Brissette who was originally subbing for Andrew Luck who was expected to return.  That's way under the 16-22 one would expect if blacks were given the same opportunities to be QBs in the NFL as whites, so a casual observer might very well think that there's something to the story.

IMO, the problem isn't so much in the NFL as it is in big time college football.  Just like there' are few no black HCs at the marquee collegiate programs that produce the majority of professional players, there's a dearth of black QBs starting at many of those same programs, perhaps most.  My guess is that many/most young black QBs talented enough to be recruited into major collegiate programs are encouraged (sometimes by coaches but sometimes by family or friends) to play other positions beside QB because they're perceived as offering more opportunity to make the pros.  That results in most of the top collegiate QB prospects being white.  If you don't think this happens, read the bios of a lot of black pros playing other positions ... a significant number were HS QBs.

Tom Savage was benched after 2 quarters. People rip Brock Oswiler worse then any other player in the league. This is ESPNs biggest issue. I don’t know why a Disney company all of a sudden feels the need to try and create a racial divide on every single issue. Steven A Smith could be talking about a ceiling fan and then somehow turn it into a Kapernick debate. The entirety of his radio show is just pretty much trying to create a race war.

11 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Hi. I am NOT going to get embroiled in this conversation! No no newp wont do it.

BUT, I read the article with Tyrod and Kimberly Martin and there was pretty close to zero ambiguity in it that he was saying he, himself, personally, believes there is racism against him, specifically in the press. There was no other plausible way to interpret one or more of the points he made in that one story.

That's fair, bro.  Different readings of the same article.  I read it as saying that he, and Newton, and other black QB face a different standard from the fans and the press, not that the on-field or locker room decisions are because of racism.  I think he's probably right as a general point, but if he believes the criticisms of himself as a pocket passer and leaving plays on the field are because he's black, then he's mistaken, that's all.  Because objectively, it can be shown that he's leaving plays on the field - Roman's offense, and this offense. 

Personally, I think Dennison, McWrestler, and Mr Beane screwed Tyrod by trading Sammy and letting Woods walk, and by installing blocking running and passing schemes that are not tailored to Taylor.  Whether Peterman can do better remains to be seen - as a Bills fan, fingers crossed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's fair, bro.  Different readings of the same article.  I read it as saying that he, and Newton, and other black QB face a different standard from the fans and the press, not that the on-field or locker room decisions are because of racism.  I think he's probably right as a general point, but if he believes the criticisms of himself as a pocket passer and leaving plays on the field are because he's black, then he's mistaken, that's all.  Because objectively, it can be shown that he's leaving plays on the field - Roman's offense, and this offense. 

Personally, I think Dennison, McWrestler, and Mr Beane screwed Tyrod by trading Sammy and letting Woods walk, and by installing blocking running and passing schemes that are not tailored to Taylor.  Whether Peterman can do better remains to be seen - as a Bills fan, fingers crossed.

You are mostly correct.

Must be the 800th sad story I've experienced about pro athletes not being treated ideally.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Something like 70-80 percent of NFL players are black, and blacks make up the majority of players at every position except QB and special positions like kickers and long snappers.  Less than a third (10 of 32) of the starting QBs are/have been black this season ... and that includes Brent Hundley who is replacing the injured Aaron Rodgers as well as Jacoby Brissette who was originally subbing for Andrew Luck who was expected to return.  That's way under the 16-22 one would expect if blacks were given the same opportunities to be QBs in the NFL as whites, so a casual observer might very well think that there's something to the story.

IMO, the problem isn't so much in the NFL as it is in big time college football.  Just like there' are few no black HCs at the marquee collegiate programs that produce the majority of professional players, there's a dearth of black QBs starting at many of those same programs, perhaps most.  My guess is that many/most young black QBs talented enough to be recruited into major collegiate programs are encouraged (sometimes by coaches but sometimes by family or friends) to play other positions beside QB because they're perceived as offering more opportunity to make the pros.  That results in most of the top collegiate QB prospects being white.  If you don't think this happens, read the bios of a lot of black pros playing other positions ... a significant number were HS QBs.

Possibly, and maybe its an evolving issue though.  50% of the Quarterbacks taken in the draft last year were African American.  

23 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Regardless if he said it recently or not, the narrative is out there.  Heard it yesterday on WGR and now ESPN is running with it.  Bottom line is good Quarterbacks dont get benched.

Ask Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb, Dante Culpepper in Minnesota, Michael Vick, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston and you can even add Marcus Mariota to that mix because I dont think its fair to limit the scope of the statement.

The statement is wrong, and detrimental in so many ways.  

altho Donovan Mcnabb should have been benched in the SB when he was phase shifting out there with time running out.And Michael Vick was not a good QB(rich mans Tyrod)

On 11/16/2017 at 12:07 PM, BeefCurtns said:

While I think the liberal media is trying to make a non story... well a story the real issue here is how well liked Tyrod is. All you have to do is look at Shady'sbody language and response on how he feels Peterman will do. McDermott has to be careful here as I think if Peterman struggles he will lose this team fast. I hope I'm wrong. Also instead of the racially charged thing how about someone exposes Tyrod's lack of ability to read a defense . That's the real story here.

This stuff isn’t irrelevant imo. Look at the Thurman Thomas-Jim Kelly situation this season. NFL players come from diverse backgrounds. Players are happy to play with whoever helps them win. If Peterman plays well, they won’t care how much they like TT as a person. 

8 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

This stuff isn’t irrelevant imo. Look at the Thurman Thomas-Jim Kelly situation this season. NFL players come from diverse backgrounds. Players are happy to play with whoever helps them win. If Peterman plays well, they won’t care how much they like TT as a person. 

WINNING soothes all petty whining.

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

Speaking about your first paragraph, my first reaction to that line of thinking is being annoyed. My second reaction is that reasoning seems scary to me. Do we really have a large group of people who assume as a given that black athletes are automatically better at everything? And that any area where black athletes do not dominate, is proof of unfairness?

That sounds an awful lot like racial superman kind of thinking to me. I can't think of any other way to view it actually. So it makes me pretty uneasy. There are no racial supermen and any time people have started to believe that it has lead to very bad things.

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Speaking about your first paragraph, my first reaction to that line of thinking is being annoyed. My second reaction is that reasoning seems scary to me. Do we really have a large group of people who assume as a given that black athletes are automatically better at everything? And that any area where black athletes do not dominate, is proof of unfairness?

That sounds an awful lot like racial superman kind of thinking to me. I can't think of any other way to view it actually. So it makes me pretty uneasy. There are no racial supermen and any time people have started to believe that it has lead to very bad things.

The NFL is a copycat league...so white QBs are more common the same way as black cornerbacks are more common. Team building is for the most part conservative and it's easier to simply go by what's worked well in the past. It's not racism, just reality.

Was listening yesterday afternoon to the Bamonte Jones show, he had on some guy who covers the NFL with an Irish/British accent, didn't catch the name. (Maybe he thought he was there to discuss Futbol)  He was saying how terrible dumb decision by the Bills to bench TT.  His arguments were that the reason TT isn't making the throws is his receivers are never getting open which from everything you hear, the opposite is true. And the second point is that TT throws amazing deep ball.  Now that could be argued that the deep ball is TT's best throw only because the rest are all so bad.  I think the first game TT played he had tow good deep passes, since then it's been worse overall, again most being uncatchable.

Overall my impression was sounded like an interview from a guy who's watched TT highlights on Sportcenter and that's about it. But that's why the national media is ripping on the Bills for benching TT due to "insight" like this.

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

Why is the league comprised of "something like 70-80% blacks"?

Why are 100% of all starting cornerbacks black (all cornerbacks period?  the last white player I remember taking any snaps at the position was Julian Edleman)?

Systemic racism?

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Why is the league comprised of "something like 70-80% blacks"?

Why are 100% of all starting cornerbacks black (all cornerbacks period?  the last white player I remember taking any snaps at the position was Julian Edleman)?

Systemic racism?

Jason Sehorn IIRC.