Your experience with venison

CountryCletus

The deer where I live in VA are only grass fed. The venison is excellent.

It used to be the favored meet of European royalty.

We don't "hunt," we merely choose to grab one of the many deer that roam our property, and there are plenty.

We don't eat bucks, only does, and head shots to keep the meat from getting blood on it.

Just one or two a year, but the backstrap is excellent.

1 hour ago, CountryCletus said:

I just wanted to see who out there has had any experience with eating venison, cooking venison, hunting deer, picking up roadkill, etc.... if you have eaten venison, what are your favorite ways to eat it, and if you don’t like it, how did you have it?

Pic or it didn't happen.

1 hour ago, CountryCletus said:

I just wanted to see who out there has had any experience with eating venison, cooking venison, hunting deer, picking up roadkill, etc.... if you have eaten venison, what are your favorite ways to eat it, and if you don’t like it, how did you have it?

lived on it for three years in college.

My brother in law does a venison carpaccio from the tenderloin that is damn near the best thing I have ever eaten. Olive oil, salt, jalapeno, not quite sure what else, but damn is it delicious! 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What? Like eating it naked?  Yeah sure, why not. 

Please identify the naked party....not that there’s anything wrong with that. (Though you have possible health restrictions?) 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

You’ve never had a PA hot dog I take it??

No... unfortunately I have a lawyer pal in NY that insists that I send them all his way.... he said something about frank and beans.... I don’t get it.... you should ask him about it... 888-8888

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

The deer where I live in VA are only grass fed. The venison is excellent.

It used to be the favored meet of European royalty.

We don't "hunt," we merely choose to grab one of the many deer that roam our property, and there are plenty.

We don't eat bucks, only does, and head shots to keep the meat from getting blood on it.

Just one or two a year, but the backstrap is excellent.

We need to talk.... pretty sure the ass end gets blood on it regardless.... but throw it in the fridge for a couple weeks and it’s all good!!!

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

lived on it for three years in college.

My brother in law does a venison carpaccio from the tenderloin that is damn near the best thing I have ever eaten. Olive oil, salt, jalapeno, not quite sure what else, but damn is it delicious! 

Can you get me that recipe?????

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Cletus, what is a PA hot dog? 

(I’m not bad at following directions.) 

Isn’t the crank of the buck

I love venison.  Roasts, ground, jerky, sausage. Love it in chili.

I have a friend who's an avid (and good) hunter.  Probably gets 50-60 lbs. of venison/year.

Gives most of it to a lawyer buddy of his and the rest of it to some private investigator in Hawaii.  I hear it's pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I love venison.  Roasts, ground, jerky, sausage. Love it in chili.

I have a friend who's an avid (and good) hunter.  Probably gets 50-60 lbs. of venison/year.

Gives most of it to a lawyer buddy of his and the rest of it to some private investigator in Hawaii.  I hear it's pretty good.

For a minute I thought you were talking about me.... then I saw 50-60 pounds a year and laughed at the rookie you call a friend...

1 minute ago, CountryCletus said:

For a minute I thought you were talking about me.... then I saw 50-60 pounds a year and laughed at the rookie you call a friend...

I meant during hunting season.

Just now, CountryCletus said:

I mean... I’m processing more than 60 pounds today.... but.... I’m just a guy....

You’re going for numbers, like Fergy. Try to do that just working on the squirrel population!  

Love venison - have had it in stew, chili, tenderloin, and burger form.  Never hunted, but was once riding with a buddy in South Jersey when a doe ran out of the woods & broke its neck against the driver's-side quarter panel.   As we inspected the damage, some dudes pulled up in a pickup and asked us if we wanted it.  Into the back of the truck it went, never to be seen again, leaving only a memory and its fecal matter splattered across the side of the car.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I used to hunt.  

Not a big fan of the gamey flavor.  

Friends used to make sausages but I disliked that even more.  

Haven't had "gamey" venison in decades.   Not sure why...   All I know is, I don't run into it anymore.

3 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

I generally prepare it one of several ways -

Ground like hamburger - just use it anywhere you would use regular hamburger - ultra lean and awesome.

Italian sausage - I had a good friend tell me it was the best sausage he had ever had by far.

Deer steaks - sous vide - awesome melt in your mouth

I usually take 3-5 per year depending on time available for hunting - more than we can eat - give a lot away

Family combined harvests 20 + deer a year - some family members don't buy beef for the entire year because the freezer is full of venison in between seasons.

If you haven't had it in a while - try it again.

Oooh.....Jerky too.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

I make breakfast sausage- hot, regular and maple.... bratwurst, jalapeño/cheddar/leek summer sausage, hot sticks, steaks, regular burger, salami, jerky- and new this year is corned venison and pastrami....

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

My little Golden Retriever (who retrieves nothing) is 60 pounds. 

60 pounds??? Hmmmm.... I bet I could render 10 pounds of good clean meat from it....

1 minute ago, CountryCletus said:

I make breakfast sausage- hot, regular and maple.... bratwurst, jalapeño/cheddar/leek summer sausage, hot sticks, steaks, regular burger, salami, jerky- and new this year is corned venison and pastrami....

60 pounds??? Hmmmm.... I bet I could render 10 pounds of good clean meat from it....

She’s busy this weekend! 

Man’s best friend, and all! 

For dog people, we got a gem! I lived in FL when we got her (for my 50th DBay), but traveled to Atlanta to get a really good one. Then (this is where it went wrong...) we moved to Atlanta. 

5 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

If you serve dog next year at the opener , I’m not eating it.