Your experience with venison

CountryCletus

Venison's great stuff.  I heard the gameyness is due to lactic acid and certain hormones built up in the muscle.  So a buck during the rut is bound to be gamey, or a deer that isn't quickly killed.

Diet is also important as I've had some corn fed deer here in Ohio that barely taste like venison.

Venison definitley has it's unique flavor that makes it kind of a love/hate thing.  

Favorite recipe is a red wine marinade for ka-bobs.

My friend is a big hunter & he brings over some venison every year.  I don't mind it, it is okay.  He does these kabobs that are pretty good & the tenderloin in the crock pot turns out pretty good, he also makes jerky that is decent.  With that being said I would much rather take the  5 minute drive to Wegmans, buy a nice ribeye & throw that on the grill.  That is just me though.  I used to eat a ton of Raccoon & Squirrel but I stopped because my doctor told me they were high in cholesterol.

Edited by Gordio

Venison farts are lethal.  Especially when you throw a few beers into the equation.  I don’t hunt anymore, but a lot of my friends are getting deer right now so we have been given a bunch of meat.  I like the steaks best marinated with some soy, ginger and garlic.  You really have to be careful to not over-cook it.

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Venison's great stuff.  I heard the gameyness is due to lactic acid and certain hormones built up in the muscle.  So a buck during the rut is bound to be gamey, or a deer that isn't quickly killed.

Diet is also important as I've had some corn fed deer here in Ohio that barely taste like venison.

Venison definitley has it's unique flavor that makes it kind of a love/hate thing.  

Favorite recipe is a red wine marinade for ka-bobs.

gameyness is / was more in buck than doe

I always managed to miss the bucks.  I had better luck with doe.   

Funny story - (well to me it is) 

the last deer I got I was doing everything you weren't supposed to do when hunting 

Shotgun down, light cig in mouth and my "other gun" in hand ... 

I spit out the cig, grabbed the shotgun, took aim and fired.     

My brother and his friend crested the hill as I was zipping my pants up as I stood over the deer.   

they asked 

Getting it while its fresh? 

My brother's friend hunts. We have gotten ground veniso n from  him and we eat it in tacos.  Had some at the fanciest restaurant in  Basel Switzerland  while there for work. Better than the best  beef I have had. 

Edited by Wacka

18 minutes ago, Wacka said:

My brother's friend hunts. We have gotten ground veniso n from  him and we eat it in tacos.  Had some at the fanciest restaurant in  Basel Switzerland  while there for work. Better than the best  beef I have had. 

There is a huge difference in quality between farm raise and wild venison.

I keep it simple with deer meat, sear the backstraps with some onions and butter, quarters go into the crockpot. I grew up in a hunting family and if there's a way to cook deer, we've tried it. 

We've got about 1/2 an elk from muzzleloader season in the freezer and everything has been outstanding. I think they blow deer out of the water. Backstrap is seared HOT and then into the oven at 450 to finish. Neck meat is cooked low and slow in the crockpot, then shredded for tacos. We grind up most of the front shoulder for breakfast sausage, then the rear quarters were cut in 2-8 lb chunks. The smaller cuts are excellent as steaks (We call 'em Q-Cuts), but the larger pieces will go on the kamado for 8 hours, cooked like a top round for elk on weck sandwiches. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

can you expound? Guess you are saying farm raised more consistent taste with controlled diet etc?

Wild deer tend to have a game taste, and the older the deer, the tougher the meat and stronger the flavor. Farm raised deer are fed food that creates a more palletable meat, and the meat isn’t as tough.  Farm raised deer also tend to me significantly larger than their wild counterpart. Look up the size of a farm raised deer’s inner loin- they are huge compared to that of a wild deer