Team again quit on McDermott

BADOLBILZ

14 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

When you as a defender just were just on the field for 5+ mins getting the ball rammed down your throat, start walking to the bench to regroup and get some water, then before you even can sit down, the offense is already returning after using 1 minute of clock and suffering yet ANOTHER 3 & out, yeah, it gets demoralizing. As a defender, you know you're gassed and have to immediately return to the field to face another extended drive....time & time & time again.

The offense probably never even broke a sweat. Taylor's whopping 56 yards and 1 completion to a WR all game really inspires confidence. The defense knew that they were on the ropes, and needed a breather, but Tyrod said "Nope! I'm resting today boys, get back out there!" as he returned to the bench following another dump pass on 3rd & long. Even if the defense managed to make some stops, what the hell would we have done with them? You could literally double Taylor's stat line (pretending he actually converted some 3rd downs) and he'd still only have 112 yards passing on 18 completions, with 2 being to WRs... The defense would still be gassed, still be screwed, and still take a pounding... 

Maybe later in the game, yeah... but early in the 1st quarter I saw a pile of Bills players getting pushed backwards by the runner for many yards several times. Now that was BS.

Well one blowout maybe a fluke; two BLOWOUTS is a disturbing trend , especially when one of the blowouts was by a jets team that almost every analyst agreed was less talented than the Bills roster.  I get McD needs another off season to acquire more talent, but what I am beginning to see is a flawed process in coaching and personel decisions.  I am not willing to just give the coach and Gm  a full pass because “ they don’t have their players for their scheme” They are responsible for the decisions to part with young talent , and they are the ones who have shown  such tunnel vision so  that we have Tolbert ,DiMarco ,Wright and Johnson here. How many more passes in the flat to Tolbert can you take? The rams were bottom dwellers last year but getting rid of Fischer and landing a talented head coach along with some former  Bills and now they are a good looking team. Badobilz is correct, you don’t have unlimited time to demonstrate you are at least progressing. We are seeing a team regressing and what I am interested to see  is how does McD Handle this mess now. I can’t remember two worse performances than what we witnessed  the past two weeks. That’s not just a lack of talent , it shows a team not being able to adjust , using excuses about playing on Thursday because it   “ didn’t give us time to prepare”, only to actually do worse with more time to game plan and getting clay,Benjamin playing  was supposed to give Tyrod more options and open up the run game again. You have a serious offensive scheme flaw when you still have not scored a TD yet in the first quarter 9 games into the season! 

So i have a hard time given the past two historically bad performances ,that all we need is players for McD ‘s system. We were out coached on all levels badly; we were never in these games unlike earlier in the season.  We got all those turnovers but how many times did we settle for  FG’s or just three and out offensive series?  Also we continue to hear prior nfl players like Romo and Barber commenting on poor Qb play, no sacks or qb pressures, and watching us drop into soft zone coverage knowing that  rushing our 4 d lineman and resisting to change things that aren’t working ,  is not a way to instill confidence that the “process” is promising. The past two games McD has not looked like he has any answers except for cliche coach speak. Hearing the same old BS that “ I have to coach better or we just have to come together and we will learn from this “ continues the rhetoric  we’ve heard during the drought 

Hey , I’m ok with losing this year until we do actually get a Adequate QB ( this is the first time with these repetitive terrible offensive results I firmly believe Tyrod is a huge problem and he can’t be salvaged) , but what is disturbing is how bad we  look now and how we are showing no ability to do any game time adjustments .  I think it will be telling  if McD is willing to allow Dennison to continue on with this play calling that produces only in garbage time. . Will McD get involved after watching  Frazier to continue  with this only rushing 4 and letting qbs keep converting 3 rd and 15 or 20 while also playing so undisciplined with offside or personal fouls that repeatedly  bail out the opponent resulting in sustained drives ?  He may not have all the talent he needs yet , but he is still the head coach and hopefully he is capable of demanding accountability from his staff and the players for the product on the field.  Time will tell , but if we see more play like the past two weeks , I can’t see his process being successful. Other teams have shown it’s possible to do quick turnabouts in today’s NFL and it’s hard to sell tickets to watch what we did these past two weeks. ( obviously I mean to include the gm as well). It’s hard to not “overreact “ after seeing back to back  absolute blowouts. If the offense keeps underperforming for two more games , then I think you have to find out what you have in Peterson before the draft.  Man that was tough to watch today! ?

McD deserves a lot of credit for having this team at 5-4 given its talent level.

Obviously the team quit today--which is inexcusable but not McDs fault. The saints aren't the 85 Bears or the 89 Niners or the 07 pats.

This is the worst I have seen a bills team get clobbered since maybe '71.

But remember-This team played very well for 7 weeks out of 9 so far.

There must be something very strange occurring. And I don't think anyone outside the Bills organization knows what it is.

Both lines need to be rebuilt in the offseason. Can't run the ball and can't stop the run is a recipe for disaster. I would start by signing Deandre Coleman back next week and stick him in there on running downs. Need a bigger body to take up blockers and occupy space. Guys are getting blown off the ball it is ridiculous.

Offense is a much tougher fix, Glenn not being healthy has hurt the continuity on the line. Dawkins couldn't challenge for starting RT as an result. Not a fan of Woods being resigned when Groy played well in his absence and will probably be gone next year. Mills and Ducasse should be gone next year and I hope they take Castillo with them.

Tyrod is most likely out next year as he is a poor fit for this scheme. Bills have a lot of draft picks but a lot of holes as well. I would let the draft fall to me and see if there is QB worth drafting early. 

10 minutes ago, Tcali said:

McD deserves a lot of credit for having this team at 5-4 given its talent level.

Obviously the team quit today--which is inexcusable but not McDs fault. The saints aren't the 85 Bears or the 89 Niners or the 07 pats.

There must be something very strange occurring. And I don't think anyone outside the Bills organization knows what it is.

I read that our wins come against teams with a combined record of 19-27.  I suppose that those five wins are not as impressive as some once thought . . . .

As I have posted elsewhere, the string of games that started against the Saints are going to tell us a lot about this team and coaching staff.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

That's the problem though, we keep cutting off regimes before they actually get a few years to establish their players into the locker room.  I believe they have a plan, I hope they are allowed to stick to it or the constant turnover will just keep hurting us

Yes, if only the Ryan and Gailley regimes had been given a few more years....think what they could have accomplished.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Peter said:

I read that our wins come against teams with a combined record of 19-27.  I suppose that those five wins are not as impressive as some once thought . . . .

As I have posted elsewhere, the string of games that started against the Saints are going to tell us a lot about this team and coaching staff.  

of course the teams we beat are proving to be not so great...but that still is a million miles away from explaining the last 2 and particularly the last game.

it was freakishly ugly and inexcusable for any team regardless of talent level

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Yes, if only the Ryan and Gailley regimes had been given a few more years....think what they could have accomplished.

Just now, Tcali said:

of course the teams we beat are proving to be not so great...but that still is a million miles away from explaining the last 2 and particularly the last game.

Just now, Tcali said:

:) its a matter of judgment(good judgment) to know which coaches/gms  are awful and which just need more time.

Just now, Tcali said:

I don't disagree with that.  The wins are not as impressive and the last two losses are biblically bad.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I don't disagree with that.  The wins are not as impressive and the last two losses are biblically bad.

peter I been around for a lonnnnng time...and I believe that this performance vs the saints may prove to be the most pathetic in bill history on many levels. 1st downs were 31-4 at one point before garbage time.

1 minute ago, Tcali said:

peter I been around for a lonnnnng time...and I believe that this performance vs the saints may prove to be the most pathetic in bill history on many levels. 1st downs were 31-4 at one point before garbage time.

Sadly, you are correct.  I cannot remember as bad a loss -- especially at home -- as today's game.  This game and the Jets game were really bad.  We also have some tough games ahead in this string.  

32 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Yep. I've seen more crushing Bills losses - lots of those games that bring up that old phrase, a "Billsy" way to lose, stealing defeat from the jaws of victory - but I can't recall a home game in recent years in which the Bills have been so completely physically dominated.  That Dolphins "Jay Ajayi running wild" game was bad last year, but the final score was 28-25, so that's not even close. Just totally dominated in the trenches today - somehow more demoralizing than having a Brady throw 6 TDs against you.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tyrod was bad today but let's try to keep in mind he had 3 WR's on the field that he had not played with at all until during the actual season.

Matthews was immediately injured upon arrival and they had very little work together until the season started.

Thompson was a recent get.

Benjamin has been there for one week of practice.

We all know Tyrod is tentative when he doesn't have faith in his targets and this is basically tentative overload for a QB.

I think a prolonged implosion would fuel them to move on from Tyrod..........but in retrospect this will look like an extremely raw deal and I would think he'd pick up a gig with a more functional organization.    

This organization has been utterly chaotic since the day Marrone quit........relentless chaos.

Of course, before he was hurt DeShaun Watson was doing just fine with receivers he never worked with before. Same with Dak Prescott the year before. And they didn't have multiple seasons in the NFL like Taylor has.  I don't hate Taylor, but it is beyond obvious that he isn't a QB that leads a team to the playoffs. At best, he doesn't prevent them from making the playoffs (i.e., some other player or players are needed to take the Bills to the next level, we can't depend on Taylor to do it).

6 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

Hate to agree but this is true.

Today had shades of Rex's Redskins game, the game that I knew that his era was over.  Once the team refuses to play for you, you're dead.  It's just a long decomposing process.  

Many of these players were already a part of the losing culture here.  The trick will be insulating the new players with promise from those destined to be gone at season's end.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh he'll get next season at least but when your players quit like they did the past two weeks that is hard to recover from.

The Saints are a better team but his was a total tank job by the team.............that Brees run for a TD took a truly special kinda' quit.   

The problem I see it is that the process has been all about satisfying McD's want for a comfy, low-maintenance locker room...........but being a good HC is not about being comfortable it's about being able to manage talent and make it work for you.

I can not disagree with a single word.  This was a tire fire through and through. 

I'm sure I'll hear a lot of fans finger-pointing at their particular hobby horse (the offense.  the defense.  Tyrod.  The OL.  McCoy.  the DL.  The LB.  etc).  But the truth is, it takes a special kind of suckage on both sides of the ball to produce a tire fire of this magnitude.

A couple key points:
1) We actually had a decent D the first few games.  People have pointed out that the last two games (since we traded Dareus for a bag of Fritos), we can't stop the run.  For all the talk about Dareus under-performing, this is not coincidence.  He may have been underperforming a contract that painted a giant red "S" on his chest, but he was still contributing - as judged by the results since he's gone. Right now, I don't think we could stop a damned nosebleed. 
2) Tyrod will not throw the ball when he doesn't trust his WR.  Yes, I know other QB do, the point is, Tyrod doesn't.  He's shown that for 2 years.  He was on his way to trusting them last year especially Sammy, and they all got shipped out of town.  Benjamin may or may not be a better long-term bet, but Tyrod was most certainly set up to fail by the plug-and-play approach Mr Bean and McWrestler took to the position

3) The fall-off in our OL from last year is incredible.  Injuries certainly played a role, but it must be pointed out that our OL (many of the same players) looked hapless under Marrone, blocked for the league's best rushing attack for 2 years under Kromer, and that the Ravens OL looked hapless last year under Castillo and looks adequate to decent this year. That's not a coincidence any more than our sudden inability to stop the run after Big Stuff left town.
4) that said, see above - Tyrod is holding onto the ball for far too long and he really doesn't have that pocket presence that great extend-the-play QB have - the teflonesque ability of Brees and Rodgers to take that perfectly timed step sideways or forward or duck and slide - that makes defenders miss.
5) All the 3 and outs by our O aren't helping our D find their way
6) When you have an O that is struggling, the D HAS to keep handing the ball back to them to give them a chance to click.  Don't stop the run, don't get off the field, don't give your offense a chance. 

Bottom line, the team stunk up the joint - as a team.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

5 hours ago, Tcali said:

They are 5-4 because of luck and great safety play. Yesterday players physically and mentally quit.

If the players quit on their coach, it's the players fault. Three weeks ago they were all a loving family, today they can't wait to sign the divorce papers? Kyle Williams can't do it alone and the so called eader of the offense can't play QB.