Is Shaq a bust?

Punt75

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't know how many more hits they can withstand on the DL.

KW and Hughes could very well be gone this offseason as well and you never know what dumshit Adolphus can get himself into (if I had to guess....maybe he brandishes a weapon in presence of a transvestite hooker in his hotel room in San Diego where Ohio State is playing in the Holiday Bowl:devil:).

I hope they try Shaq inside if he doesn't miraculously find the pass rusher within.   Bankrupting your DL is generally no good. 

from someone i talked to at the opener hughes is very happy with the new coaching staff, and not to be stealing from what dareus said i was told hughes has never felt like he has a stable coaching family until this one.

but that's fwiw.  

KW will try to come back next year, you watch.  and i'd be fine with that, but he's playing like ass.  and really shouldn't.

and dude, shut your mouth about tOSU... actually open it, that tranny wants to come say hello.

17 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so what is the consensus?

bust or no?

whaley player though, so he already has that strike against him. is he down with the process? 

It's tough...shaq seems like he is down with the process, and he definitely doesn't seem like a bust...that being said, his production leaves you wanting more- especially in the way of pass rush, considering that is a weakness of the team...therefore I say if someone is there when the Bills pick, I would not hesitate to select that player...in my mind shaq doesn't prevent me from trying to upgrade the position and I hope McBran feels the same.

Funny that the narrative is now that Shaq wasn't drafted to be a pass rusher.  That's not the case.  In fact, had he not gotten injured he would have been a much higher pick.  This season Shaq has been very solid in run defense and good at setting the edge.  Still he needs to provide a better pass rush or else add "pass rushing defensive end" the Bills list of needs

Man.  I posted in his draft pick thread that the Lawson pick would cost Whaley his job.  Many of us expected this from Shaq - not a bad player just a “meh” player who lacks quick-twitch athleticism.  We were screamed at here...

He’s not a bust - he’ll last in the league, but he’ll never last here.  His second contract will be elsewhere.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Kyles old. Clearly not the same player.

Pretty epic fall from grace from that 2014 season. That defensive line dominated and the defense in general was very good. 

!@#$ you Rex. Or is it Mario? Or Dareus? Or heat maps? 

100% rex

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Man.  I posted in his draft pick thread that the Lawson pick would cost Whaley his job.  Many of us expected this from Shaq - not a bad player just a “meh” player who lacks quick-twitch athleticism.  We were screamed at here...

He’s not a bust - he’ll last in the league, but he’ll never last here.  His second contract will be elsewhere.

If it was anywhere near the amount of grief I got for flipping my lid on the Ragland trade up then I feel your pain!

I don't see Shaq making it past year 4 here. He doesn't make enough impact plays to justify any further investment. Boyst could be onto something, he is a jag in this defense and with the frequency of trades at OBD Shaq could be next.

3 hours ago, Graybeard said:

Has anyone else noticed that he lines up offside a lot, but it doesn't get called?

Possibly over drafted, possibly still trying to find his strengths in the NFL, probably too early to tell.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Actually, several times a game I turn to my son and say “his helmet is in the neutral zone...again.”  I thought it was just me seeing it wrong since he gets away with it so often. Sometimes you have a perfect view, and it seems indisputable. . 

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I've seen this on more than one occasion... he is also usually the last one off the ball...if the best we can expect if shaq is containing the edge on run plays, he likely will not see a second contract in buffalo imo

Yup, agree wit all a youse.

Not a bust, but JAG.

"He walks in as a Day One starter, opposite Jerry Hughes. He can set the edge from the outside, he can rush speed-to-power, and that gives us two nice rushers off the edge."

-  Doug Whaley

So, yeah, enough with the "He wasn't drafted to rush the passer" stuff. Yes, he was. He was drafted as a guy who could do a bunch of things, including rush the passer.  But that doesn't make him a bust. Though perhaps overdrafted in terms of what he can do in this defense.

9 hours ago, Commonsense said:

If it was anywhere near the amount of grief I got for flipping my lid on the Ragland trade up then I feel your pain!

I don't see Shaq making it past year 4 here. He doesn't make enough impact plays to justify any further investment. Boyst could be onto something, he is a jag in this defense and with the frequency of trades at OBD Shaq could be next.

I disagree.  Depends on contract.  He would be good depth rotational player IMO.

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

It's tough...shaq seems like he is down with the process, and he definitely doesn't seem like a bust...that being said, his production leaves you wanting more- especially in the way of pass rush, considering that is a weakness of the team...therefore I say if someone is there when the Bills pick, I would not hesitate to select that player...in my mind shaq doesn't prevent me from trying to upgrade the position and I hope McBran feels the same.

They would anyway need more pass rushers..that is how they win the division against Brady.  No Pass Rush, Brady will kill you.

13 hours ago, vincec said:

Agree. I actually think Lawson would be a good 3-4 DE where he has less rush responsibility than he does now.

Lawson and Washington at DE, Ragland at Sam. Mr Bug Stuff / Worthy at NT. Hughes and Alexander at OLB. You can start to see where things were headed.

Now I can actually see Lawson following Ragland out the door for another low round pick. Doesn’t really fit.

This is ridiculous. Lawson isn't nearly big/heavy enough for be a full-time 3-4 DE. He's a perfect fit where he is. Just because he isn't a dominating pass-rusher 8 starts into his career doesn't mean he's a poor fit.

Also, while it's still very early in the game, there are not a lot of guys drafted after Shaq that stand out as better picks. Obviously Dak Prescott would have been nice, but nobody saw that coming. When you look at the guys that a team would have reasonably drafted at 19, the Shaq pick holds up pretty well so far. 

7 minutes ago, skibum said:

Also, while it's still very early in the game, there are not a lot of guys drafted after Shaq that stand out as better picks. Obviously Dak Prescott would have been nice, but nobody saw that coming. When you look at the guys that a team would have reasonably drafted at 19, the Shaq pick holds up pretty well so far. 

I'm surprised that didn't come up before now.  I just looked at that draft and I think the only guys worth hindsight consideration at 19 are Myles Jack and Noah Spence.

7 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I'm surprised that didn't come up before now.  I just looked at that draft and I think the only guys worth hindsight consideration at 19 are Myles Jack and Noah Spence.

And Spence, while a better pass rusher.... is also limited and one dimensional, has only generally been used situationally and has played much worse in year 2 than his relatively average year 1.  I take the point that if you are going to be one dimensional you might prefer a one dimension that is pass rush... but he is a lesser player than Shaq to me at this stage.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And Spence, while a better pass rusher.... is also limited and one dimensional, has only generally been used situationally and has played much worse in year 2 than his relatively average year 1.  I take the point that if you are going to be one dimensional you might prefer a one dimension that is pass rush... but he is a lesser player than Shaq to me at this stage.  

Some of us (ahem) were pounding the table for Myles Jack... and again in Round 2... I do not miss Whaley, at all.