Woods, watkins TDs

Foreigner

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But the franchise is worth $3 Billion vs. Buffalo's $1.6 Billion.

Yes funny seeing all those empty seats, but means very little in the long run.

But back to the game and Rob Woods TD's......  How can a player be so open on a play as Woods was?  Please don't credit Goff as it was as simple a pass as one could make.

Add to that all game Watkins had a DB 10 yards off him and finally they threw that simple TD pass to him and it makes you wonder what is going on and why not exploited more often.

Watching Goff he is not that good.  He is the product of an Offense that has weapons and they are exploiting them.  Great formations and play calling.  Heck Cooper Kupp is getting twice as many targets as Watkins and Gurley is used like McCoy as the checkdown/safety valve.

Taylor has McCoy and had Woods and Watkins

Just now, SoTier said:

Actually, you're the one who isn't thinking logically.  Billsfan1972 is looking at Goff critically as a QB, not at his stats.  His criticisms of Goff's play simply echo what numerous other observers have mentioned.  On another team, like the 2016 Rams or the 2017 Buffalo Bills, Goff would look like a bust (he was already considered that by some after last season), but he's on the 2017 Rams, a team with an smart, offensive minded young HC who was smart enough to go out and hire one of the master DCs in the game today (similar to Pitt and Tomlin hiring Dick LeBeau as their DC back a decade or so), and a FO willing to go out and get more protection (Whitworth) as well as weapons for their young QB. 

Taylor's situation is reversed.  He's on a team with a questionable OL that has struggled to adapt to new block schemes and with injuries.   His entire receiving corps was sent packing and replaced by a JAG WR (Matthews) and a rookie who had the yips for most of the season and then got hurt.  Benjamin has been with the team 2 weeks, hardly time to become a viable part of the offense, but one of the reasons that Carolina was willing to part with him was that he wasn't much of downfield threat.  The Bills simply do not have the talent at WR to stretch the field, so good defensive teams play the WRs tight, put their safeties up close to the LOS which enables them to shut down both the run and YAC on check-downs, and blitz the QB at will.

You can complain about Taylor all you want but the Saints rang up 295 yards and 6 TDs on the Bills D.   That's the real problem, and that is solely on the coaching staff and FO, and it's not going to be solved by putting in Peterman or by drafting a first QB in 2018.

No, I'm not thinking emotionally.  BillsFan1972 admitted he was being petty....that's not logically thinking.

We all know how bad the defense was.  

Taylor had time to throw yesterday, Matthews isn't a JAG.  He's a good slot and possession WR....he's just not a #1.  Benjamin is a #1.  

A trio of Clay, Matthews and Benjamin is a good enough trio to work and work well.  

Benjamin was thrown to 3 times on the first drive and that's it....ignored after that.  Deonte Thompson can have a great day after being on the team for a few days playing Tampa but Benjamin can't?   

You can defend 56 yards passing and deflect the blame off of Taylor which honestly is ridiculous.

Goff is a top 5 MVP candidate so far.  You can be petty and focus on what you feel are his limitations but when you're the starting QB on a team average over 30 points per game....you're doing more right than wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No, I'm not thinking emotionally.  BillsFan1972 admitted he was being petty....that's not logically thinking.

We all know how bad the defense was.  

Taylor had time to throw yesterday, Matthews isn't a JAG.  He's a good slot and possession WR....he's just not a #1.  Benjamin is a #1.  

A trio of Clay, Matthews and Benjamin is a good enough trio to work and work well.  

Benjamin was thrown to 3 times on the first drive and that's it....ignored after that.  Deonte Thompson can have a great day after being on the team for a few days playing Tampa but Benjamin can't?   

You can defend 56 yards passing and deflect the blame off of Taylor which honestly is ridiculous.

Goff is a top 5 MVP candidate so far.  You can be petty and focus on what you feel are his limitations but when you're the starting QB on a team average over 30 points per game....you're doing more right than wrong.

While I admitted to being petty, I still am not that impressed with Goff as I've watched him and his #'s are great, but doesn't pass the eye test imo. 

Until the TD to Watkins the DB was 10 yards off him, which could have been exploited a lot earlier.  The reliance on Cooper Kupp over Watkins is criminal in my mind.  He too makes a # of bad throws during the game & also he is not overly mobile.  

The TD to Woods was the right read to a receiver 10 yards open.  

Also the Rams D have feasted on some of the worst QB's in the league to date resulting in the Offense having many possessions.

TT was lousy yesterday, but when the opposing team calls 24 consecutive running plays, it is much more then the QB.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

While I admitted to being petty, I still am not that impressed with Goff as I've watched him and his #'s are great, but doesn't pass the eye test imo. 

Until the TD to Watkins the DB was 10 yards off him, which could have been exploited a lot earlier.  The reliance on Cooper Kupp over Watkins is criminal in my mind.  He too makes a # of bad throws during the game & also he is not overly mobile.  

The TD to Woods was the right read to a receiver 10 yards open.  

Also the Rams D have feasted on some of the worst QB's in the league to date resulting in the Offense having many possessions.

TT was lousy yesterday, but when the opposing team calls 24 consecutive running plays, it is much more then the QB.

The guy is playing at an MVP level and you're criticizing him because he's not targeting Sammy enough.  That is as petty as petty can get.

So he hits open WR....oh no.  Let me find a way to criticize that.  Petty as petty can get.

You simply don't care about production.  That's the bottom line.  You care about your "eye" test which I don't think is very strong because you're so extremely petty.

Let me asking you a simply question.  Right now, would you choose Tyrod Taylor or Jared Goff?

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The guy is playing at an MVP level and you're criticizing him because he's not targeting Sammy enough.  That is as petty as petty can get.

So he hits open WR....oh no.  Let me find a way to criticize that.  Petty as petty can get.

You simply don't care about production.  That's the bottom line.  You care about your "eye" test which I don't think is very strong because you're so extremely petty.

Let me asking you a simply question.  Right now, would you choose Tyrod Taylor or Jared Goff?

I'd take TT right now.  When Sammy was healthy TT was connecting with him on much tougher passes then Goff is completing.  They hit on many long bombs.  The Bills offense is putrid and Goff would be worse if he was asked to guide it.

TT has done a much better job avoiding the rush and actually made many more tough passes this year then Goff.

Now answer me this....  Have you watched the Rams games? I have and Goff has done what was asked of him.  

They have two close wins (leading the majority of the game) and two close losses, where Goff did not deliver given the chances.  Wow sounds much like the Bills & TT, but with way more weapons and better coaching.

Watch the Rams and how fluid they are when things are clicking.  Conversely a little adversity and yes they are not that good either.  

Rams have wins vs. Scott Tolzien, Brian Hoyer, Blake Bortles, Drew Stanton & Tom Savage already this year........

Say what you want but the Bills outside Simian have at least played vs. quality QBs......

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But back to the game and Rob Woods TD's......  How can a player be so open on a play as Woods was?  Please don't credit Goff as it was as simple a pass as one could make.

Add to that all game Watkins had a DB 10 yards off him and finally they threw that simple TD pass to him and it makes you wonder what is going on and why not exploited more often.

Watching Goff he is not that good.  He is the product of an Offense that has weapons and they are exploiting them.  Great formations and play calling.  Heck Cooper Kupp is getting twice as many targets as Watkins and Gurley is used like McCoy as the checkdown/safety valve.

Don't credit Goff? You make it sound like throwing a 52 yard strike in the air is easy. Gotta give him some credit for the play fake and perfect throw, no?

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'd take TT right now.  When Sammy was healthy TT was connecting with him on much tougher passes then Goff is completing.  They hit on many long bombs.  The Bills offense is putrid and Goff would be worse if he was asked to guide it.

TT has done a much better job avoiding the rush and actually made many more tough passes this year then Goff.

Now answer me this....  Have you watched the Rams games? I have and Goff has done what was asked of him.  

They have two close wins (leading the majority of the game) and two close losses, where Goff did not deliver given the chances.  Wow sounds much like the Bills & TT, but with way more weapons and better coaching.

Watch the Rams and how fluid they are when things are clicking.  Conversely a little adversity and yes they are not that good either.  

Rams have wins vs. Scott Tolzien, Brian Hoyer, Blake Bortles, Drew Stanton & Tom Savage already this year........

Say what you want but the Bills outside Simian have at least played vs. quality QBs......

Okay we are done here.

This post is as bad as bad can get.  Geezus.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Don't credit Goff? You make it sound like throwing a 52 yard strike in the air is easy. Gotta give him some credit for the play fake and perfect throw, no?

He is beyond strange.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

It was a pass that an NFL QB just can not miss....  He made it and does get credit.  I was just stating it was a wide open receiver with no coverage and good blocking.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay we are done here.

This post is as bad as bad can get.  Geezus.

He is beyond strange.

I see you didn't answer the question.  Have you watched the Rams games or just the highlight package.  I've watched a fair bit and he has played very well, but not at an MVP level.

I've also watched TT and he looks handcuffed.

3 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Yes. I can't believe how many post there still are saying Dareus or Watson are worthless, that the other players Beane got rid of are "just a guy." While Mike Tolbert is playing running back for the Bills. 

My biggest problem with Tolbert is there are far too many cases where he is moving parallel to the line. It's nonsense, he's not shady...

The Bills should get a tax write off for donating to charity for handing the Rams a playoff berth.  They were a joke organization, people were calling Goff a bust after 7 starts, and their top wr was Tavon Austin, who is 3’5”.

Now they have an elite threat that defenses have to focus on every play, which opens up everything for Gurley and the other WRs.  Now, we are going to have a really low 2nd and a cb who will probably walk because he’s less durable than Sammy.

Awesome. Trust the process!

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was a pass that an NFL QB just can not miss....  He made it and does get credit.  I was just stating it was a wide open receiver with no coverage and good blocking.

I see you didn't answer the question.  Have you watched the Rams games or just the highlight package.  I've watched a fair bit and he has played very well, but not at an MVP level.

I believe the 5th OC will be the charm for TT. We also need to spend both of our 1sts on WRs and TT will be able to finally shine. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Bills should get a tax write off for donating to charity for handing the Rams a playoff berth.  They were a joke organization, people were calling Goff a bust after 7 starts, and their top wr was Tavon Austin, who is 3’5”.

Now they have an elite threat that defenses have to focus on every play, which opens up everything for Gurley and the other WRs.  Now, we are going to have a really low 2nd and a cb who will probably walk because he’s less durable than Sammy.

Awesome. Trust the process!

That is certainly an understandable take. 

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have Sunday Ticket and yes, I have watched the Rams a lot especially since they are on at 4:00 pm a lot.  

Whether you like it or not....probably hate it but he’s in the running for MVP right now.  16/4 TD INT ratio, 2,300+ yards right now and over 100 rating...

I don’t take into consideration your eyeball test because I think it’s not a strong evaluation too IMO....you even admitted you’re petty.  You look for things to criticize Goff but will defend Taylor.  Geezus.

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

maybe he's "handcuffed" because everyone in the building knows he can't do **** even AVERAGE QBs can do.

the dude is a RB playing QB.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

maybe he's "handcuffed" because everyone in the building knows he can't do **** even AVERAGE QBs can do.

the dude is a RB playing QB.

I’m not going that far because he does some things well as a qb.  But it’s a joke the amount of excuses made for him.  If Trent, JP, or EJ had 56 yards passing, no one would defend them (actually I probably would have when I was a giant homer :) ).

but he is on OC #3.  Maybe it isn’t always the OC.  Like I move with my girlfriend to 3 different places and she cheats on me in every location, maybe it’s not the location. ;)

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not going that far because he does some things well as a qb.  But it’s a joke the amount of excuses made for him.  If Trent, JP, or EJ had 56 yards passing, no one would defend them (actually I probably would have when I was a giant homer :) ).

but he is on OC #3.  Maybe it isn’t always the OC.  Like I move with my girlfriend to 3 different places and she cheats on me in every location, maybe it’s not the location. ;)

Yes he sucked yesterday.  The one play he made to Clay for 25 yards was called back.  A great long pass to Thompson that was dropped (tough catch but a perfect pass). 

Let's look too at the play by play.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400951555

Gonna blame him for the Charles Clay int too?

Actually no chance and going through it as bad as he was, really no chance to succeed.

A few not great passes to Benjamin and Saints just ramming it down the Bills throat.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes he sucked yesterday.  The one play he made to Clay for 25 yards was called back.  A great long pass to Thompson that was dropped (tough catch but a perfect pass). 

Let's look too at the play by play.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400951555

Gonna blame him for the Charles Clay int too?

Actually no chance and going through it as bad as he was, really no chance to succeed.

A few not great passes to Benjamin and Saints just ramming it down the Bills throat.

I'm going to put some blame on Taylor for the Clay INT.  Wanna know why?  It was 3rd and 12 and he threw a 4 yard pass.   Will that move the sticks even if it's caught?  Nope.

Then when it's 3rd and 1....40 yard pass down the field.  We just needed one yard....just one.   

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

Which is much better than we have right now

For sure. Not arguing that. I just think it's funny that people are watching Rams highlights and claiming Watkins & Woods have gotten definitively better than when they were here. Woods has certainly outperformed his career numbers thus far, but Watkins has regressed (from a production standpoint) to the point that the tandem is near identical to when they were on the most run heavy team in the NFL.

Also, I'm just waiting for someone to ask who this Tandem guy is... :lol:

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

For sure. Not arguing that. I just think it's funny that people are watching Rams highlights and claiming Watkins & Woods have gotten definitively better than when they were here. Woods has certainly outperformed his career numbers thus far, but Watkins has regressed (from a production standpoint) to the point that the tandem is near identical to when they were on the most run heavy team in the NFL.

oh ok. I wasn't saying that...just watching these guys run around while we throw 3 yd passes to RBs  is frustrating

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm going to put some blame on Taylor for the Clay INT.  Wanna know why?  It was 3rd and 12 and he threw a 4 yard pass.   Will that move the sticks even if it's caught?  Nope.

Then when it's 3rd and 1....40 yard pass down the field.  We just needed one yard....just one.   

Great blame him for Clay muffing a simple pass, then when he does throw long and hits the receiver on a perfect throw it is dropped......  No winning.......

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Also, I'm just waiting for someone to ask who this Tandem guy is... :lol:

Watkins has regressed because Goff doesn't throw to his #1 receiver because the Rams offense doesn't want to challenge double teams or the opposing teams # 1 CB/DB......

Watkins is open and doing his job, but it seems that the Rams coaching staff is being very careful with Goff....

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

My biggest problem with Tolbert is there are far too many cases where he is moving parallel to the line. It's nonsense, he's not shady...

but he's the "change of pace " back that we need

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Great blame him for Clay muffing a simple pass, then when he does throw long and hits the receiver on a perfect throw it is dropped......  No winning.......

So you would be satisfied gaining 4-5 yards with 12 yards to go?  Do you like punting or something?

You are terrible at situational awareness.  12 yards to go....you're fine with a 4 yard pass.  1 yard to go....you defend a 40 yard pass.

Punt and punt.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So you would be satisfied gaining 4-5 yards with 12 yards to go?  Do you like punting or something?

You are terrible at situational awareness.  12 yards to go....you're fine with a 4 yard pass.  1 yard to go....you defend a 40 yard pass.

Punt and punt.

Simple questions........  What was our brilliant OC's call on the play?  Did TT not hit both receivers in the hand?  The 40 yard pass was crucial.

In any case New Orleans manhandled the defense.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Simple questions........  What was our brilliant OC's call on the play?  Did TT not hit both receivers in the hand?  The 40 yard pass was crucial.

In any case New Orleans manhandled the defense.

Yeah, Clay should have caught it and definitely muffed it.  Why was the ball thrown in the first place?  Why is he throwing a 4 yard pass with 12 to go?  

The 40 yard pass was crucial?  WTF?  I would like to know what your definition of crucial is.

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah, Clay should have caught it and definitely muffed it.  Why was the ball thrown in the first place?  Why is he throwing a 4 yard pass with 12 to go?  

The 40 yard pass was crucial?  WTF?  I would like to know what your definition of crucial is.

Sure not crucial but 14-3 at the time and still thought it was a game.......

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yikes.

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The throw is going to be short of the sticks based on the coverage. 

It's Tyrod Taylor, he can't hit WR's in stride and he needs them to be open by 5 feet just to pass them the ball. His field vision is on the level of EJ and he has no touch on his throws. 

No WR is going to want to come here in FA if Taylor is the QB. KB is probably at a shrine praying that McD starts Peterman against the Chargers.

Woods and Watkins both had big time college careers, you could see the talent to get open was there but just no QB to get them the ball.

I would equate it to having a Ferrari and putting a Ford Focus engine in it. The suspension, brakes and tires are top notch but they can never be truly tested or perform to the highest levels with such a weak engine.

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

14-3 and one incompletion on a ball down the field is enough to derail the train?  Is that what you're saying?  He couldn't overcome that one play?  He didn't get other chances after that?

It was on 3rd down and literally killed that particular drive. Not an excuse for the rest of the game, but it was kind of important to keep pace and momentum.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We don't know the progression but isn't hitting Clay in the middle of the field with his back turned always going to be short? I think you have to fit that ball in to Benjamin @ the 30, or at least hit the out to either guy in the flats in stride...either option has a better chance of picking up the first down IMO. 

Seems like a terrible route and play call for 3rd and 12.  Curl flats with clay running an option route.  With the DT dropping it completely destroys any chance of the play succeeding.  Seems like that was the same play run every 3rd down.  They literly cant beat cover 2 on 3rd and 12?  Dennison had 4 chances in a row.  

Reguardless of play call though, Taylor played with 0 desire in the second half.  Down 2 than 3 and 4 scores you have to drive the ball down the feild and attempt to pick up first downs.  After the first quarter it was obvious that the defense was going to have their handsful.  They came up with the TO in the redzone to keep the game competitive and the offense goes 3 and out and gives NO the ball back at midfield.  

The Bills are who most of us expected them to be.  The early season success had covered up alot of the issues this franchise has had for 3 years.  The rest of the season will be good indicator of what Buffalo has a coach.  What happens from here? 

Obviously, run defense will be a big concern.  Does he change things schematically, or personal, maybe both?  On defense I would look at starting Milano move alxander to sam in a over look or strictly de and egde rusher.  Maybe go with a 3 saftey nickle.  Put hyde at slot, Poyer deep, elston in the box. 

Offense speaking i think Peterman may be in play.  I would be getting him coached up and prepared if the offense continues to sputter.  I would repect Taylor as a player and leader and have an honest converstion about the state of the team.  Reguardless, of scheme play or turnovers, as the QB and leader the success and failures falls at the feet of the qb.  If the ship is not righted soon a perminate change is coming.  

The next few weeks will be intersting not just for the year but going forward.

47 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don’t buy this because there would never be a 3rd and long call completed for a first down.

We have heard from our own coaching staff and Taylor hat Benjamin is a guy that can be thrown to when he’s not open.  We saw none of that yesterday.

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t buy this because there would never be a 3rd and long call completed for a first down.

We have heard from our own coaching staff and Taylor hat Benjamin is a guy that can be thrown to when he’s not open.  We saw none of that yesterday.

It's not like we were down 3 TDs or anything...can't risk an INT there.