Incognito Says "TNF Games are BS"

Yes, the flight is only an hour and change, which doesn't seem like much, but I fly back-and-forth from Rochester and NYC often and it can suck up your whole day.

You have to pack, get to the airport, be there at least an hour and a half before your flight (maybe more for a full football team), get through

security, etc. And then on the other end, you have to get off the plane, get to transportation, fight through NYC traffic (I have had trips to the airport that took 1-1/2 to 2 hours due to traffic). And this holds true even if you fly into Newark. Best case scenario, it's about an hour from the airport. Then you have to get everyone to the hotel, check in, drop your stuff off, and then finally head to lunch/dinner/or team meeting-practice. That entire process can take minimum 6 hours. If you fly in the day of the game, that can take a lot out of you mentally. if you fly in the day before, now you have to get to where you are going to practice, etc.

That whole day is thrown off, while the opposing team woke up and went to practice as usual and back home for a good night's rest. There is definitely an advantage to being home on a short week. Not saying it is an excuse for playing as poorly as the Bills did last night, but its not just a one-hour flight. Of course, a better team should still be able to deal with that and beat an inferior team, but don't act like it's nothing to have to be the team that travels.

They should definitely do away with Thursday Night Games! (Screws up fantasy too.)

I looked up the stats on home vs. away for Thursday Night Games, here it is (with no conclusion being drawn by me)

The HOME team has won 69 of 113 Thursday Night games going back to 2006, or 61% of the games.

(Regardless of who was favored or who was the better team.)

Perfect answer right here.

/thread

Right Richie, and none of those discriminating factors apply to the Jets equally, right?

It sucks for everyone!

Stop the excuses.

I agree TNF should be canned immediately, but a player shouldn't make this excuse.

Jets get one extra day to prep because they don't travel. Just saying it's not as even as you suggest.

What a stupid excuse. Does he realize the Jets had a short week.

The issue here is we have an old team, the Jets are younger. Not the NFL's fault. Man up and play. Surprised to hear Incognito whining like a 5 year old.

He wasn't saying it for just him or the Bills as an excuse. He said it as a league problem. He said the game is so physical that asking teams to play in 4 days and us much work and preparation that goes into playing these games it's BS the league forces us to do this. It's a valid point and one that's been made by many players.

He didn't say we lost because of the short week. He thinks it's BS the Jets had to do it too.

He wasn't saying it for just him or the Bills as an excuse. He said it as a league problem. He said the game is so physical that asking teams to play in 4 days and us much work and preparation that goes into playing these games it's BS the league forces us to do this. It's a valid point and one that's been made by many players.

He didn't say we lost because of the short week. He thinks it's BS the Jets had to do it too.

...and.... he’s right!

22 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m not saying it’s an excuse, but he is correct. TNF should go away, but the $$$ say that’s very unlikely. But it IS a bad idea unless both teams are coming off a bye.

....OMG and do away with the "color rush" spectacle?.......Goodell's proclamation that he wants to make the NFL a $25 billion dollar industry by 2027 tells you everything you need to know (today's $12 bil ain't enough) ....MONEY is primary and the game is secondary.....NOTHING would suit me better to watch the continued image erosion among advertisers and fans, watching the greedmeisters tank......think about the founding players who took off from their full time jobs to play the game for 5, 6 or 7 grand a season and are now afflicted, crippled, addicted, etc with no support.....I think Dobler gets a grand a month but can't walk and is addicted to pain killers......or how about the average Joe yesteryear that scraped together ticket money to fill the stands?.....all of the foundation is forgotten......the almighty dollar rules.............

On 11/3/2017 at 1:20 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Boy I hope this wasn't the prevailing attitude in the locker room before the game. If it was, we know why the Bills got their butt's handed to them. 

3 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

I would bet that 80% of NFL players hate Thursday football, regardless whether they are home or away. NFL players are creatures of habit, there is nothing normal about a 4 day turnaround

...short week player safety and injury consciousness OBVIOUSLY trump the almighty dollar (COUGH), right?.....

Bottom line:  Jets has the same short week, so not an excuse for how pathetic the Bills showed up.

HOWEVER:  What he does say is quite relevant and true.  Its pretty crappy for a team in a sport as brutal, physical and mental as Football to have to turn around and play a Thursday game on a short week.  Add in the London games, and the NFL is really putting these players through a tough grind.  

As a fan, I selfishly love Thursday night football because I get more days of NFL enjoyment every year which is my favorite sport.  But, from the players perspective I think its really a bad thing, the game is so fast and brutal now and the long week after is not enough to offset the short week before.  So I totally get where he is coming from and I think he makes a valid point.

But again, not a fair reason for the pathetic loss, Jets had the same short week.