What went wrong in 2011?

Another Fan

I want to say that the few seasons the Bills have started strong it has always revolved around the "Difference Maker"

Difference Maker = Turnovers/Points from Turnovers.

That Patriots Victory in September saw 4 INT from Brady.

But then as it always does balance out...when the Turnovers which produced extra posessions, points and momentum shifts dried up...

...the games were played more straight up and the Bills offense just wasn't strong enough without the extra help.

We were 5-2 because of Fred Jackson. People forget how dominant he was to start that season. He had 6 100+ yard rushing games in the first 9 games and got injured early week 10. I think that played a big role in our team falling apart. He wasn't just our best player on offense, but the locker room leader as well.

This was the biggest factor. Fred Jackson made that team run both in the run and pass game and when he went out there was no one who could fill his role.

He was on pace for 2200 yards from scrimmage and was averaging 5.5 ypc.

we were too reliant on Fred Jackson, just like we are too reliant on McCoy this year

Shady is our entire offense, he dictates the flow of the game. This is why we MUST get a better backup than Tolbert.

Also our defense that year was bottom 5 maybe bottom 3 in the league. We have a much better defense this year

Also we have a cupcake schedule the rest of the way.

A cupcake? We play New England twice, Kansas City and the Saints all of whom are playoff teams to my mind. If we were to lose all 4 of those (not saying we will) it would leave no margin for error the rest of the way. Just win Thursday and get the mini bye and 10 days to prepare for the Saints at home.

A cupcake? We play New England twice, Kansas City and the Saints all of whom are playoff teams to my mind. If we were to lose all 4 of those (not saying we will) it would leave no margin for error the rest of the way. Just win Thursday and get the mini bye and 10 days to prepare for the Saints at home.

According to Football Outsiders, before today we had the 3rd easiest remaining schedule. Patriots have not been their old selves by any means and Saints are a different team on the road, they nearly lost you Brett Hundley. Ive already mentally chalked up the Chiefs game as a loss. And the Jets, Dolphins x2, and Colts are terrible. Just winning those 4 games means we only have to win one of the difficult ones you mentioned.

Agree this team seems a little more solid than 2011 but still not totally convinced yet were a playoff squad.

The week 9 Jets game that year I place as the 2nd worst Bills game I watched since the McKelvin fumble. On a funny note does anyone remember that play that day where Florence made Mark Sanchez flinch?

If I recall, we started stacking up injuries after that 5-2 start in 2011. Honestly, I have no idea how we beat that Patriots that year. Every other team we beat in those first 7 games were pretty bad.

I still don't know if I fully believe this current team is legit. I think our schedule is much easier than originally anticipated, and McDermott has the bills playing sound football.

1. Defense was not very good from start to finish.

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick. The guy is maybe the best back up QB in the league. But you can't count on him game to game or quarter to quarter. He proved that with us and the Jets.

3. Not enough playmakers on offense. The receiving core was only a step above this one. And we have complained about this one a ton. But this team has a better defense and a better QB.

Fitz and Gailey got exposed. Teasm played short zone defense most of the end of the year. They just sat between 3-10 yards off the LOS and Fitz and the short passing game went to crap.

This.

And not really Gailey.......his offense was good enough.......just Fitz.

He couldn't throw the ball with any accuracy downfield and Rex figured it out and they squatted on the Bills routes that day and every other opponent followed suit.

It really was as simple as that..........all the other excuses were things they could have overcome.........but taking away Fitz short throws totally destroyed the Bills offense.

I was buying into Fitzmagic like many others.......smart guy, gamer, quick trigger, could scramble and take a hit.......and then I noticed very early on in 2011 that any of his deep sideline throws were missing the mark by ridiculous amounts like 20-30 feet.

And it was because his throwing motion had to be so violent to offset his weak natural passing arm that he couldn't control the long throws..........he was basically a shooter out of his range on longer throws.

I got that same sick feeling I got when I realized that Flutie couldn't throw the ball from the pocket.........and I knew it was just a matter of time.

Tape eventually exposes all weakness.

That opinion wasn't well received here............people pointed to a couple long bombs he completed to TO and Evans in relief of Trent Edwards in Jauron's final season........but those were just HEAVES......not the kind of accurate deep throws that scare secondaries.

Fitz worked on his throwing motion and arm strength after he was ejected from Buffalo........it was better by the time he found his way to the Jets.........but still pretty random.