Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

Maybe you are Missing my point, the comment was about both white and black players. They are both Inmates in this comment.

Good point, where is all the outrage from the white players? :lol:

Ill wait for the JJ Watt press conference. :)

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McNair should have just used his boy Trumps favorite excuse when hes done something like actively encouraging a hostile foreign country to hack his opponents computer: Just kidding! It would be much more credible than the ludicrous explanation McNair gave, which of course Troy Vincent, who was there, did not buy for a second.

I have learned over time it's fruitless to debate extreme posts like this. I get it, McNair supported Trump (or so it's said, I didn't check) so obviously he's lying. If he had supported ________ then we could discuss this further. Read a book.

[quote name="NoSaint" post="4629137" timestamp="1509291924"

If he didnt, sure. But do we jump to defend every far fetched after the fact explanation as probably true? No. Unless he can explain what he meant and it makes sense in the wider context, simply saying he wasnt talking about players wont hold much water- right?

And of course we cant banish phrases from our language but you and I can say jeeeze before this discussion I used to say that without much thought but after actually pausing for a second its not really the kind of thing I want to keep saying. And we dont have to go burn down the other posters house for typing it either. All kinds of totally reasonable human interaction can come from this, if we decide to be reasonable human beings that can discuss things and effect change in ourselves and those around us.

A lot of us, myself included, rattle off old phrases that sound charming and kitschy but are actually kind of gross when held up for examination. I tend to appreciate when someone points out something like that. Cause most of us dont want to be that guy

He might well be lying now, yes. If so, he's created a much bigger problem then he had before. Then again, if he's not lying...he's being accused in the court of public opinion as being a bigot, and I believe you'd agree it would be at least reasonable to assume the players might have something to gain by misrepresenting his comments? And if so, falsely branding a man a bigot in the name of social justice is about as low as it gets.

As for growth, yeah, I try to pay attention too.

I told my adult daughter one day, after she changed some plans with me to hang out with her friends "that I wasn't anyone's plan B!". When she gasped, I looked at my wife and she just shook her head. Turns out I missed a couple pharmaceutical advancements over the last decade or so.

Nice dialogue, I won't burn your house down, but I might tell me what neighborhood you live in. I'd do a smile emoji here but don't have the option.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

The saying is "inmates run the Asylum" not "inmates run the prison".

The NFL, and our society today for that matter, has come an asylum fuel by mass communication. Too much news, too much tweeting, too much political correctness, too much sensitivity.

It has now become vogue to accuse people of being racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, islamophobic, you name it. In 25 years this will behavior will hopefully have faded away and will look like the McCarthy days in the 50's when people were unjustly accused of being communists. We are approaching the "anything goes" era.

While I would agree that a lot of "boy who cried wolf" stuff is going on today, it would be ignorant to say that there are not genuine instances of racism still happening in the country.

Its a stupid phrase to use about employees of any race

So dramatic.

You can subjectively say it is stupid if you want, but it's not disrespectful, racist, elitist, or whatever other adjective people would like to perscribe to it.

This outrage is a symptom of manufactured victimhood.

Do you realize that detectives were at one point "uneducated" street cops? They weren't hired as detectives. Is there *any* part of this argument that you have any kind of credibility or understanding of?

No they aren't uneducated. Most have required degrees and they have to pass an exam. By definition they are not uneducated. Traffic cops on the other hand were probably poor student meat heads at your local high school or kids that got picked on and want their revenge. The fact that I have to explain this to you tells me you're probably another intellectual bottom feeder.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Because context matters in language. It's a thing.

No, the insistence that there is a context which bestows his words with racial/racist undertones is the thing that is brand new to a phrase with a nearly two century old colloquial understanding.

You are modifying the English language, on the spot, in order to manufacture outrage.

No, the insistence that there is a context which bestows his words with racial/racist undertones is the thing that is brand new to a phrase with a nearly two century old colloquial understanding.

You are modifying the English language, on the spot, in order to manufacture outrage.

I think you'll find a lot of things that are two centuries old are now in extremely poor taste. Honestly, it doesn't matter if you think it was fine. You weren't the one the statement was directed at.

I think you'll find a lot of things that are two centuries old are now in extremely poor taste.

You're shifting the goal posts here. This isn't something the the slow hands of time have shifted the perception of. This is a piece of language with a nearly 200 year history of common and benign understanding whom the offended are insisting we magically imbue with new meaning, right this second, in order to justify their desire to feel offended and aggrieved.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if you think it was fine. You weren't the one the statement was directed at.

It absolutely matters because the players are making a public appeal in order to consolidate power to advance a political agenda.

I think you'll find a lot of things that are two centuries old are now in extremely poor taste. Honestly, it doesn't matter if you think it was fine. You weren't the one the statement was directed at.

you're amusing for your effort but clearly this is beyond your grasp in the larger scheme of what is going on.

I need more information before I can decide what to think of the players reaction.

If McNair has been a mean standoffish owner who uses people including his players, and they want to use this misstep to stick it to him, that is at least understandable.

But if McNair has been a fair, reasonable, decent man to them, and they are excoriating this 79 year old man on the national stage for his use of a common expression that is awkward in this one context, then the players are racists. They are doing this to him because he is white.

I don't know which it is.

I need more information before I can decide what to think of the players reaction.

If McNair has been a mean standoffish owner who uses people including his players, and they want to use this misstep to stick it to him, that is at least understandable.

But if McNair has been a fair, reasonable, decent man to them, and they are excoriating this 79 year old man on the national stage for his use of a common expression that is awkward in this one context, then the players are racists. They are doing this to him because he is white.

I don't know which it is.

I guess the Texans were one of the few teams who didn't kneel prior to this week so they obviously took it as a racist comment. Here's a quote from McNair after the team decided to just lock arms and kneel after Trump's stupid "SOB" rally comments (The Texans all stood locking arms that week).

"Texans players are caring, intelligent men who do so much good, as was shown in the past month when our city was devastated by Hurricane Harvey," McNair continued. "I have never been more proud of our players and our team than during this time. It was a display of what is truly possible when we all work together. We will continue to support our players to work together to promote the values of respect and unity."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/24/houston-texans-anthem-players-protest

I would of given McNair the benefit of the doubt, but like you I don't know him personally.

Edited by Doc Brown

I don't see the big deal. Everyone with any sense knows it just means you don't want the chain of command running in reverse. If I ever have a job where the boss using that phrase even makes my top 50 list of concerns I'll consider myself blessed.

While I completely agree- its still a stupid phrase to use to describe your employees. Even if its only slightly demeaning to any reasonable person, whats the upside?