Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

Jesus Christ. It's not like he said "the slaves are steering the ship"

Too far?

And unless all the players on the team are black (and even is they were it's still stupid) I have no idea why this is an issue. Old man mixed his metaphor. Move on.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it depends on your perspective. Words and phrases are not currency, and cannot simply be removed from the lexicon. On the other hand, it's nice to evolve so I think over time this tends to happen anyways. And personally I get a little antsy when someone suggests words and phrases that will no longer be tolerated (with of course some notable exceptions). That has a sorta 70s Cambodia feel to me.

I guess at my core I think that sticks and stones can break my bones but words can rarely hurt me.

That still doesn't address the main point, which is this: if McNair did not direct the comments toward the players, the whole issue is silly, isn't it? People may be upset and outraged over something that never occurred in the manner it was reported. That sort of manipulation does not further the dialogue, it's does not contribute to the greater good and should at least be considered.

Great post. As it is right now is is only 15 minutes of Bradshaw and Strahan et al lecturing race relations.

Every owner is now on notice, you better watch EVERY word you utter, every single one. Forget about context, think of every word and or phase you utter and how it will play in the media.

BTW We need to no longer call them "owners", that is a term smacks of slavery.

Too far?

And unless all the players on the team are black (and even is they were it's still stupid) I have no idea why this is an issue. Old man mixed his metaphor. Move on.

No, he didnt mix his metaphor. Why are you going out of your way to find excuses for this idiot?

Actually, Ive heard almost no discussion of these issues during the games themselves, which makes me think that the people who say, I just want to watch football without all this social activism, are being disingenuous. All the talk about it happens during pregame, during the week, and on social media.

(Why do all the quotation marks keep disappearing?)

no, I don't mean to be a dick and saying this but I know it may be the truth for others... And I've seen it be the truth for you. You don't want to have discussion so long as it disagrees with what you believe

No, he didnt mix his metaphor. Why are you going out of your way to find excuses for this idiot?

why shouldn't he? He is allowed to say whatever he wants just like Gugnynick

no, I don't mean to be a dick and saying this but I know it may be the truth for others... And I've seen it be the truth for you. You don't want to have discussion so long as it disagrees with what you believe

Not sure how you can say that. Ive participated in these discussions fairly regularly. I just get tired of it sometimes because its mostly the same arguments over and over. and I get sick of typing on this damn iPhone

Oh so you've discussed his true intent with him after he made the statement. I'm sorry I had no idea. Carry on.

I read his so-called explanation and its laughable. If you choose to believe, then carry on.

why shouldn't he? He is allowed to say whatever he wants just like Gugnynick

LOL. Dick.

Actually, Ive heard almost no discussion of these issues during the games themselves, which makes me think that the people who say, I just want to watch football without all this social activism, are being disingenuous. All the talk about it happens during pregame, during the week, and on social media.

(Why do all the quotation marks keep disappearing?)

no one 2ants to watch football with politics.

LOL. Dick.

I forgot the autocorrect! Holy ****. Didn't even realize it didn't that. I typed the autocorrect word. And added Nick at the end for Kaepernick.

I won't type Gugny so no one realize she auto correct

Too far?

I think it was a horrible choice of words by McNair and horrible timing. The league overall though has done a terrible job of handling this kneel down protest. The league and owners should have gone to the players early on and asked that they respect the flag and anthem on gameday WHILE AT WORK. The league in turn could find a charitable cause to support with donations and with player involvement that addresses the player's concerns. One that actually does positive work. That moves the protest off the field and gives the players a chance to put their money and time where their mouth is on the issue with support from the league.

Did any Caucasian players have any issues with this?

What would be an awesome insight that we will never get, is a blind poll asking all of the white players what they think about this.

It's impossible to know what the results would be. I would imagine that they mostly agreed with the black players. The reason being they spend a lot of time together. Endless stories are told between them. Pro sports teams are one of the best places in the world for race relations although that's not always 100% true. I highly doubt that the white players are just going to believe this stuff doesn't happen much (meaning discrimination by police not necessarily deaths) after serious discussion.

Right now, I doubt any white player would say to the media he thinks these guys are way overreacting regardless of what he truly felt. So we are not going to know if they approve or oppose.

I find it funny how many people righteously decry the problems in the criminal justice system without knowing jack **** about that system.

First off, there isn't really a criminal justice system in America. There are thousands of municipalities with individual justice systems operating within 50 states that each have their own systems. Outcomes and practices can differ vastly across jurisdictions within the same state.

And yes, there is the federal judiciary, but the overwhelming majority of the cases we're discussing fall outside of that.

Secondly, there are plenty of reforms that should be made within most of these systems, some of which could be applied nationwide, but most of the people making all the noise haven't the foggiest idea what those are.

What would be an awesome insight that we will never get, is a blind poll asking all of the white players what they think about this.

It's impossible to know what the results would be. I would imagine that they mostly agreed with the black players. The reason being they spend a lot of time together. Endless stories are told between them. Pro sports teams are one of the best places in the world for race relations although that's not always 100% true. I highly doubt that the white players are just going to believe this stuff doesn't happen much (meaning discrimination by police not necessarily deaths) after serious discussion.

Right now, I doubt any white player would say to the media he thinks these guys are way overreacting regardless of what he truly felt. So we are not going to know if they approve or oppose.

Maybe you are Missing my point, the comment was about both white and black players. They are both Inmates in this comment.

The saying is "inmates run the Asylum" not "inmates run the prison".

The NFL, and our society today for that matter, has come an asylum fuel by mass communication. Too much news, too much tweeting, too much political correctness, too much sensitivity.

It has now become vogue to accuse people of being racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, islamophobic, you name it. In 25 years this will behavior will hopefully have faded away and will look like the McCarthy days in the 50's when people were unjustly accused of being communists. We are approaching the "anything goes" era.

That's where we are right now. Everyone is overly sensitive that you cannot even use an extremely common coloquialism as a metaphor.

If he just called them "inmates" out of nowhere, ok maybe everbody can go bonkers, but this is a very, very common figure of speech used in all industries as a management style/slogan for keeping the employees in line. And that's what employers get to do since they are essentially buying your time. And when you are on their time, you can expect to act in a way that is appropriate to the industry/situation.

The saying is "inmates run the Asylum" not "inmates run the prison".

The NFL, and our society today for that matter, has come an asylum fuel by mass communication. Too much news, too much tweeting, too much political correctness, too much sensitivity.

It has now become vogue to accuse people of being racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, islamophobic, you name it. In 25 years this will behavior will hopefully have faded away and will look like the McCarthy days in the 50's when people were unjustly accused of being communists. We are approaching the "anything goes" era.

Great post but 25 years, oh my god no i cant take 25 years. Part of the reason you have trump is people are already feed up with it.

That's where we are right now. Everyone is overly sensitive that you cannot even use an extremely common coloquialism as a metaphor.

If he just called them "inmates" out of nowhere, ok maybe everbody can go bonkers, but this is a very, very common figure of speech used in all industries as a management style/slogan for keeping the employees in line. And that's what employers get to do since they are essentially buying your time. And when you are on their time, you can expect to act in a way that is appropriate to the industry/situation.

Its a stupid phrase to use about employees of any race

Its a stupid phrase to use about employees of any race

I don't see the big deal. Everyone with any sense knows it just means you don't want the chain of command running in reverse. If I ever have a job where the boss using that phrase even makes my top 50 list of concerns I'll consider myself blessed.

Edited by Rob's House