TNF: Fish at Ravens

YoloinOhio

That's the thing though. This place doesn't exhibit it very often at all. Everyone argues with everyone else about everything. There is never a consensus. There wasn't even a consensus on EJ sucks. But there was about the dirty hit. I even saw your point. Just didn't agree with it.

I dont think it was a dirty hit. I dont know what Kiko can do. Hes a large football player launching himself at full speed to make a tackle. I think its ridiculous to expect him to let up when Flacco slides at the last second and everything is happening so quickly. Personally I feel personal fouls on QBs should have a much higher standard once the QB passes the line of scrimmage. At that point youve turned yourself into a running back and the same rules should apply.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the thing though. This place doesn't exhibit it very often at all. Everyone argues with everyone else about everything. There is never a consensus. There wasn't even a consensus on EJ sucks. But there was about the dirty hit. I even saw your point. Just didn't agree with it.

That's fine there's plenty that do. Ganging up and making it personal towards me like some did was unnecessary.

Teddy Bruschi agrees, Deion agrees, Cowher agrees, Herm agrees...the QB was going for the first and Kiko was trying to make the play. QB has to slide sooner, don't go for the first. Both sides going full speed at each other, no time to stop in such a bang-bang play. QB can't wait until the last second and then wonder why he got hit. As the rule is written Kiko will get a penalty and fine but there's absolutely no way he's trying to intentionally hurt him on that play. Just doing his job and stopping the ball carrier from getting the first.

Good thing you didn't post this last night. I got crucified for a similar take. People on this forum have absolutely zero tolerance for anyone that has an opinion different from theirs and it's really sad.

hmmm You know ..... I never noticed that

/sarc

NFL Network instead?

Isn't it on CBS as well?

I dont think it was a dirty hit. I dont know what Kiko can do. Hes a large football player launching himself at full speed to make a tackle. I think its ridiculous to expect him to let up when Flacco slides at the last second and everything is happening so quickly. Personally I feel personal fouls on QBs should have a much higher standard once the QB passes the line of scrimmage. At that point youve turned yourself into a running back and the same rules should apply.

You keep your head up and don't lead with it when you launch. That's what you do. He led with his head. The only reason his shoulder hit Flacco first was because Flacco slid under him and a tad to the side.

Teddy Bruschi agrees, Deion agrees, Cowher agrees, Herm agrees...

Well THAT certainly doesn't help your case. ;)

I usually totally agree with the stance you are taking. I think a lot of times the defensive guy doesn't have a chance to let up. I don't know if Kiko was intentionally trying to hurt him. I do think Flacco slid late. I just think he led with his head and shouldn't have.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

You keep your head up and don't lead with it when you launch. That's what you do. He led with his head. The only reason his shoulder hit Flacco first was because Flacco slid under him and a tad to the side.

https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/923872449522835456

Looks to me like he very clearly led with the shoulder, especially in the slow motion view. He launches his body at the exact second Flacco slides. I think the personal foul should have been on the Ravens player that pushed Kiko after the play was over. Its football, if you dont want to take a big hit dont slide late.

I usually totally agree with the stance you are taking. I think a lot of times the defensive guy doesn't have a chance to let up. I don't know if Kiko was intentionally trying to hurt him. I do think Flacco slid late. I just think he led with his head and shouldn't have.

he launched himself to try and stop him from getting to the 1st down line. he got caught in no man's land because once you leave you feet there's no going back. so yes he was wrong to do that given that Flacco did end up sliding but i don't think he should be villianized the way some people want to believe. he's definitely not a dirty head hunter type player. i think both sides are a little at fault and it was a very unfortunate play and Kiko will be fined, no doubt. can't hit a QB in the head

There are a lot of former players agreeing with this.

https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/923872449522835456

Looks to me like he very clearly led with the shoulder, especially in the slow motion view. He launches his body at the exact second Flacco slides. I think the personal foul should have been on the Ravens player that pushed Kiko after the play was over. Its football, if you dont want to take a big hit dont slide late.

Looks to me like he led with his head, Flacco slid underneath and to his left (Kiko's right) and then Kiko made a conscious decision to drive his shoulder into Flacco's head. That slo-mo last view from behind made me think a lot worse of Kiko. I think he's suspended and fined.

Alonso laughably claimed that he realized the slide was happening too late. Then why was Alonso'd angle getting closer and closer to the ground just as Flacco's was? He lowered his body as he saw Flacco lowering his. And the he put a little oomph on the shot he dished out to his head.

And I think Preston Brown said it best this morning on WGR. You understand which QB your playing. Flacco is going to slide, he isnt going to lower his head. So you know as you get close to him you can let up a bit. Kiko lowered his head intent on doing damage, IMO, when he saw the opportunity.

Alonso laughably claimed that he realized the slide was happening too late. Then why was Alonso'd angle getting closer and closer to the ground just as Flacco's was? He lowered his body as he saw Flacco lowering his. And the he put a little oomph on the shot he dished out to his head.

To me it wasn't Kiko's momentum as Flacco was sliding, but Kiko extending his forearm to him Flacco's head.

Tell that to Drew Bledsoe.

Good point... Wasn't that hit along the sidelines, or am I remembering wrong?

When I picture that hit I think of Drew getting lit up right as he went out of bounds, which might have made it worse since he was relaxed a bit and not expecting such a shot.

Good point... Wasn't that hit along the sidelines, or am I remembering wrong?

When I picture that hit I think of Drew getting lit up right as he went out of bounds, which might have made it worse since he was relaxed a bit and not expecting such a shot.

It was. Mo Lewis lit him up to launch the other guy's career.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Frankly, the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this was that it was completely unlike Kiko to intentionally go after someone like that. I think your history as a player contributes to the thinking.

See what happened when Suh did the choke hold? Everyone thought "Oh, man, here goes Suh again."

I doubt anyone had that thought about Kiko, which is why I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Frankly, the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this was that it was completely unlike Kiko to intentionally go after someone like that. I think your history as a player contributes to the thinking.

See what happened when Suh did the choke hold? Everyone thought "Oh, man, here goes Suh again."

I doubt anyone had that thought about Kiko, which is why I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of being a genius chef and commercial spokesman, Kiko is kinda known as a muttonhead.

I think Kiko was a bit unlucky. Flacco decides to go down very late and a bit like the defender on DT on the big play at the end of the game last Sunday it looks helmet to helmet initially but is more shoulder to helmet in reality.

Let me ask this, its Joe Flacco, is there any doubt he is going to slide?

If there is not doubt he is going to slide as you atttempt to tackle him, is there any reason to lower the head?