Watkins trade, Dawkins over Glenn, Ducasse/Miller = McEgo

BADOLBILZ

Chip Kelly won 10 games in each of his first two seasons with Philly.........after taking over a team that the esteemed Andy Reid had taken to the tank.

He did a tremendous job installing his system and his "process"..........but he got carried away with finding "his" guys......cut star performers Desean Jackson and Evan Mathis and traded the devil he knew in McCoy and went the free agent route at RB.........and a ton of excellent work went to waste.

I think McD is making similarly ego driven mistakes..........he thinks he's being all about team, but he's being all about McD and calling it "team"..........he is running the risk of undermining a lot of the good things he's done by dumping legitimately star talent under the misguided belief that he can coach-up more grateful-to-just-be-here personnel.

As Chip Kelly found out......teams adjust to your X's and O's........and then it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's and if you can't win matchups you will start losing games.

It would behoove McD to start figuring out how to get guys like Dareus and Glenn, and even the average John Miller, excited about the project rather than alienate them.........if they are cut the odds of the situation at those positions turning into the debacle that trading Watkins has made of the WR corps(and subsequently the offensive identity and effectiveness) are high.

I started this thread because McD is trying to take credit for having some rookies playing regularly..........as if it doesn't matter if they stink and that playing them somehow guarantees future success for them..........seemingly blissful to the fact that Zay Jones has been tragic and Dawkins is struggling mightily and proving very costly to the Bills in starting roles.

The only indicator that a rookie will turn into a better player is if they are playing very well as a rookie.......just being out there or playing to some adjusted curve is how you get the misguided belief that a guy like Brandon Spoon is the answer to your LB woes.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's not defensive PI on that 3rd down, meaning CIN punts instead of scoring a TD. how many threads that exist today are never created? that one penalty has changed people's view of the offense, mcdermott, our offensive coordinator, the pegulas, the offensive line, the CBs, and the defensive coordinator. reactionary isn't even a strong enough word.

If there's not defensive PI on that 3rd down, meaning CIN punts instead of scoring a TD. how many threads that exist today are never created? that one penalty has changed people's view of the offense, mcdermott, our offensive coordinator, the pegulas, the offensive line, the CBs, and the defensive coordinator. reactionary isn't even a strong enough word.

I agree. The injury bug hurts you in more than just losing your starting players. The players that replace them don't always play as smart and cost you with dumb penalties. Mabin's pass interference penalty was huge...as was Logan's offensive holding that negated a 44 yard run by McCoy.

Chip Kelly won 10 games in each of his first two seasons with Philly.........after taking over a team that the esteemed Andy Reid had taken to the tank.

He did a tremendous job installing his system and his "process"..........but he got carried away with finding "his" guys......cut star performers Desean Jackson and Evan Mathis and traded the devil he knew in McCoy and went the free agent route at RB.........and a ton of excellent work went to waste.

I think McD is making similarly ego driven mistakes..........he thinks he's being all about team, but he's being all about McD and calling it "team"..........he is running the risk of undermining a lot of the good things he's done by dumping legitimately star talent under the misguided belief that he can coach-up more grateful-to-just-be-here personnel.

As Chip Kelly found out......teams adjust to your X's and O's........and then it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's and if you can't win matchups you will start losing games.

It would behoove McD to start figuring out how to get guys like Dareus and Glenn, and even the average John Miller, excited about the project rather than alienate them.........if they are cut the odds of the situation at those positions turning into the debacle that trading Watkins has made of the WR corps(and subsequently the offensive identity and effectiveness) are high.

I started this thread because McD is trying to take credit for having some rookies playing regularly..........as if it doesn't matter if they stink and that playing them somehow guarantees future success for them..........seemingly blissful to the fact that Zay Jones has been tragic and Dawkins is struggling mightily and proving very costly to the Bills in starting roles.

The only indicator that a rookie will turn into a better player is if they are playing very well as a rookie.......just being out there or playing to some adjusted curve is how you get the misguided belief that a guy like Brandon Spoon is the answer to your LB woes.

I think after wins over Denver and Atlanta (on the road) and being 3-2 and being in every game McD deserves the benefit of the doubt

Watkins was one of my favorite players so i dont want to sound like a hypocrite here.....the fact is he was oft injured and was going to require a huge amount of money and cap room to resign. Could we use him right now? Definately. I really dont think anybody expected Zay Jones to struggle the way he has given his catch radius and huge production in college.....that and the WR injuries...Boldin departming etc etc just amplified the situation badly.

Dont get Ducasse for Miller....if they really did not like Miller's play why not Groy?

Glenn is hurt....the fact that Dawkins can even play the LT position and not be turnstile is amazing because I really dont think he was drafted to be a LT

Despite all this....there is a lot to like about this team.....the draft picks for the most part are playing great...the defense is awesome

Exactly. And if Zay catches that pass in the Carolina game we are 5-0 and thinking warm playoff thoughts and where to build McD's statue.

I think BADOL makes some good points. As for saying that one penalty has changed views, that could easily go the other way. It's a fine line between winning and losing. If a questionable call doesn't go the Bills way on a return TD or our rookie DB gets flagged for grabbing a WRs jersey on a critical 4th down and perhaps these things are being brought up even sooner. They are still valid. A couple breaks one way or another doesn't mean there are no issues. They've just been glossed over.

It must have been hard holding this in while the team was winning.

So does the guy in New England with all the rings.... people in high profile leadership positions have egos sometimes

He kind of has the track record to back it up and be given the benefit of the doubt. That wasn't the case in 2001 where he was expected to be fired if the Pats lost their next game, and were on their way to doing so. Then Mo Lewis knocked out Drew Bledsoe and this Tom Brady guy had to play QB.

It would behoove McD to start figuring out how to get guys like Dareus and Glenn, and even the average John Miller, excited about the project rather than alienate them.........

Though to be fair, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...

It must have been hard holding this in while the team was winning.

It was relevant then and still is. A couple penalties and calls breaking either way doesn't change their deficiencies. It just put some lipstick on the pig. Lose a winnable game, and some of the winning " deodorant" wears off.

I agree. The injury bug hurts you in more than just losing your starting players. The players that replace them don't always play as smart and cost you with dumb penalties. Mabin's pass interference penalty was huge...as was Logan's offensive holding that negated a 44 yard run by McCoy.

Eliminate the coach's ridiculous ego, those penalties never happen and the Bills are 4-1.

Them's the facts.

Or something like that, I guess. <_<

Though to be fair, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...

You can if your ego isn't in the way.

Or something like that.

All pro sports coaches have egos, it comes with the territory given their positions of power. And when a team is winning nobody really cares.

But the issue (at least for Bills fans in recent years) is finding guys with both egos and the ability to actually know what they are doing and at least in recent years that wasn't certainly wasn't the case with good old Rex despite all his spouting off at the mouth.

The jury is still out on McD but if this season does crash and burn and we finish .500 or worse it will certainly magnify the coaching and personnel decisions this team made heading into the season and the belief we were going to be able to win with glaring deficiencies and no depth to speak of at certain positions (i.e. WR, Oline). Also despite all the draft picks we have next year, we could be in a true rebuilding situation once all the veterans are gone like Taylor, Kyle Williams, McCoy, etc.