Watkins trade, Dawkins over Glenn, Ducasse/Miller = McEgo

BADOLBILZ

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip Kelly won 10 games in each of his first two seasons with Philly.........after taking over a team that the esteemed Andy Reid had taken to the tank.

He did a tremendous job installing his system and his "process"..........but he got carried away with finding "his" guys......cut star performers Desean Jackson and Evan Mathis and traded the devil he knew in McCoy and went the free agent route at RB.........and a ton of excellent work went to waste.

I think McD is making similarly ego driven mistakes..........he thinks he's being all about team, but he's being all about McD and calling it "team"..........he is running the risk of undermining a lot of the good things he's done by dumping legitimately star talent under the misguided belief that he can coach-up more grateful-to-just-be-here personnel.

As Chip Kelly found out......teams adjust to your X's and O's........and then it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's and if you can't win matchups you will start losing games.

It would behoove McD to start figuring out how to get guys like Dareus and Glenn, and even the average John Miller, excited about the project rather than alienate them.........if they are cut the odds of the situation at those positions turning into the debacle that trading Watkins has made of the WR corps(and subsequently the offensive identity and effectiveness) are high.

I started this thread because McD is trying to take credit for having some rookies playing regularly..........as if it doesn't matter if they stink and that playing them somehow guarantees future success for them..........seemingly blissful to the fact that Zay Jones has been tragic and Dawkins is struggling mightily and proving very costly to the Bills in starting roles.

The only indicator that a rookie will turn into a better player is if they are playing very well as a rookie.......just being out there or playing to some adjusted curve is how you get the misguided belief that a guy like Brandon Spoon is the answer to your LB woes.

If you hate the coach so much, why not find another team to root for. McDermott is our coach and from what I have seen thus far is a marked improvement over what we have had in the past. We will eventually have players with talent who also understand the level of commitment that it takes to win. I have seen absolutely zero evidence that his "ego" has anything to do with any decisions that he has made thus far. He is not Chip Kelley. Personality wise, they are in fact polar opposites. Some people on this board will always find something to complain about, but how about giving this guy at least a full season before you start complaining. After five games, we have seen evidence that we are headed in the right direction. Let's let the rest of the season play out before we start coming to conclusions about whether or not he will be successful in his approach.

Ego and vision/discipline are not the same things. He wants to suceed and "the process" is his discipline to get there. It feels like the Patriot way to me and if BB is all ego driven, I can live with McD having a similar big ego if the wins follow.

Belichik has an ego but is not to afraid to admit a mistake an move on (see Kony Ealy earlier this year).

And if Gilmore doesn't turn it around and play lights out the rest of the season you better believe they won't be afraid to dump him after one season either.

Ego and vision/discipline are not the same things. He wants to suceed and "the process" is his discipline to get there. It feels like the Patriot way to me and if BB is all ego driven, I can live with McD having a similar big ego if the wins follow.

That is one gigantic IF. The " Patriot way" is enabled by Tom Brady. Period.

If you hate the coach so much, why not find another team to root for. McDermott is our coach and from what I have seen thus far is a marked improvement over what we have had in the past. We will eventually have players with talent who also understand the level of commitment that it takes to win. I have seen absolutely zero evidence that his "ego" has anything to do with any decisions that he has made thus far. He is not Chip Kelley. Personality wise, they are in fact polar opposites. Some people on this board will always find something to complain about, but how about giving this guy at least a full season before you start complaining. After five games, we have seen evidence that we are headed in the right direction. Let's let the rest of the season play out before we start coming to conclusions about whether or not he will be successful in his approach.

Ah ,yes the " find another team to root for " argument after reading an opinion that isn't all peaches, cream and kool aid.

I see future NFL coaches trying to get as much out of their young players before their 1st big contract comes up. Non qb position will command smaller long term deals. I don't think you'll see defensive lineman get 100M anymore. And considering how often a players motivation diminishes after they get their big payday, you're probably going to see this trend.

Every single NFL coach has a big ego. Every single one. You don't get to that level of such an elite field without a certain level of competitiveness and ego driving you all the way there.

I agree. The injury bug hurts you in more than just losing your starting players. The players that replace them don't always play as smart and cost you with dumb penalties. Mabin's pass interference penalty was huge...as was Logan's offensive holding that negated a 44 yard run by McCoy.

A major part of this build is finding depth guys that come in and there isn't a huge drop off in production. Be it by a more simple scheme on both sides of the ball and by adding the right guys on the roster. A lot of this has been done already, I think, but finish that process in only 5 games and one partial off season is impossible.

If there's not defensive PI on that 3rd down, meaning CIN punts instead of scoring a TD. how many threads that exist today are never created? that one penalty has changed people's view of the offense, mcdermott, our offensive coordinator, the pegulas, the offensive line, the CBs, and the defensive coordinator. reactionary isn't even a strong enough word.

No it hasn't. There could have been a thread every day since the end of last off-season about how bad the Wide Receivers are on this team. As a matter of fact, some of believed that we needed two more receivers here even when Watkins was still here. And on the subject of Watkins, he hasn't done schitt this year outside of one game.

Now, we need three WRs. It's pathetic. If we had legit NFL Wide Receivers, as dumb as this sounds, and as average as we are, we could be 5-0.

Now, a position that we knew was awful and unaddressed coming in to the season, is even worse now. That's a legitimate gripe.

Beane should be the next man up this week for neglecting this. I get building for the future. And am on board. But we have a shot now. He owes it to the veterans to give them a chance at success, with a relative easy schedule coming up.

Edited by Lv-Bills

No it hasn't. There could have been a thread every day since the end of last off-season about how bad the Wide Receivers are on this team. As a matter of fact, some of believed that we needed two more receivers here even when Watkins was still here. And on the subject of Watkins, he hasn't done schitt this year outside of one game.

Now, we need three WRs. It's pathetic. If we had legit NFL Wide Receivers, as dumb as this sounds, and as average as we are, we could be 5-0.

Now, a position that we knew was awful and unaddressed coming in to the season, is even worse now. That's a legitimate gripe.

Beane should be the next man up this week for neglecting this.

Good post.

Think it's more a case of people in high profile leadership positions understand much more about what is going on than people who post on message boards and have absolutely know idea what is actually going on inside the room.

So does the guy in New England with all the rings.... people in high profile leadership positions have egos sometimes

I agree. The injury bug hurts you in more than just losing your starting players. The players that replace them don't always play as smart and cost you with dumb penalties. Mabin's pass interference penalty was huge...as was Logan's offensive holding that negated a 44 yard run by McCoy.

No coach goes into a game against a team like Cinci with only four CBs. But McD did. And one of those four, Mabin, was a street FA two days before the game. Who does that? McD. What happened? Mabin got that PI. Mabin lost containment on the TD run. Mabin dropped the INT right in his hands. Thats terrible coaching.

Really? Can you give specific examples of McDermott massaging his own ego?

I was going to ask the same thing. Standing by...

Every time I hear McD talk about deficiencies, which he clearly doesn't like to do (most likely for competitive reasons) I never hear him name specific names. He always keeps it general. But more to the above topic, when he does discuss things players can do better he always takes pains to add, "that goes for me and the coaches, too". That has to count for something.

No coach goes into a game against a team like Cinci with only four CBs. But McD did. And one of those four, Mabin, was a street FA two days before the game. Who does that? McD. What happened? Mabin got that PI. Mabin lost containment on the TD run. Mabin dropped the INT right in his hands. Thats terrible coaching.

Correct. And for those talking about the PI call - if Atlanta had just run up the gut on 4th and 1 against our 10 man defense, we could very well be 2-3 right now and all hell would be breaking loose in and around OBD.

McBeane has proven nothing. They've simplified the defense and replaced Corey Graham's corpse with two good safeties. In the meantime they've alienated just about every talented player on the roster, and have taken a top-10 offense and replaced it with something from before the Era of the Forward Pass.

The only indicator that a rookie will turn into a better player is if they are playing very well as a rookie.......just being out there or playing to some adjusted curve is how you get the misguided belief that a guy like Brandon Spoon is the answer to your LB woes.

In spirit, I agree that the Bills have made some head scratching personnel decisions in this past off-season which is seriously hurting their chances to win this season. On my list (and I know you dont agree on all of these) are Watkins, Darby, Woods, Gillslee, Williams.
I do see that McD has his team prepared for the game and his in-game decisions seem pretty sound, esp for a rookie head coach. BUT, he is severely handicapped by personnel decisions. What I dont know, howwver, is where to lay the blame. Is this McDermott's ego or Beane's ? There is no question Glenn is a better LT but I am not sure Dawkins has fared too badly. There should be a way to get both on the field together if Glenn is healthy.
Badol, the frustrating part is that for one reason or the other (draft picks, scheme fit, money), the Bills failed to retain much of the talent which could have made this current season far more successful. I am always against getting rid of players before their replacements are proven capable. Right from the days of Spikes, London Fletcher and all the way to Hogan, Watkins I have lamented how the Bills continue to create holes and never seem to develop a team. I would have liked to think this is why Whaley was fired but not sure Beane and McD are doing anything different. Mortgaging the present for the uncertain future is a recipe for disaster. Age, contracts, QB all are huge problems and some of them could have been avoided with a more savvy personnel department.
Edited by Fan in Chicago

Without knowing what's going on behind the scenes, there's no way to say whether the moves being made are because of ego or because you just can't motivate some players to greatness.

What does "motivation to greatness" have to do with the hot mess the previously at least adequate Oline has been turned into? What does it have to do with starting Vlad the Whiffer? With the sudden decline in Miller's play? With not just keeping Tolbert over the other RBs but using him in ways that don't suit him at all? Putting TT aside (we know his strengths and weaknesses by now), what does "motivation to greatness" have to do with the line's wretched performance in the running game?

We're told to trust the process and should be all happy because we have lots of draft picks to build for the future. And I'm reassured every day by someone here that this time feels different. But here's my issue... The only process I see is a coach and GM that spent the off season cutting talent, to stockpile picks. And now using the playing season as a trial period to build depth. Is that a process to build a winning team or a coach and FO wasting a year while they figure out how to do their jobs?

Draft picks rarely light it up in year one. So how can anyone reasonably say next year we're going to be good because we have all these draft picks. IF.. They draft well, maybe we're good in 3 years, assuming all the currently good players are still here, still productive, or replaced by equally good players. So yeah, you can build a solid team for years to come through the draft, but without solid veteran players to rely on, you're just filling holes you dug all the while rookies are being thrown into the fire and make more mistakes than plays usually.

In the last 17 years we've seen every type of rebuild, restructure, baby making process imaginable. Perhaps this time is different, but I'm not sure anyone can fault any other fan for being skeptical, especially when we're seeing so many of the same mistakes being repeated. I don't know how anyone can look at current WR situation and think there's a plan there. And that's just one example, perhaps the most glaring, but it's only one example of the FO and HC doing something that you have to honestly stand back and say... WTF are they thinking.

In the end, I don't know if its ego, ignorance, or some grand plan that we can't see yet. I just know that sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by Dan