A question about moving to new message board software

SDS

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm scared!

In all seriousness I would very much miss the shoutbox. I have met several Bills fans in person due mostly to the conversations that have taken place there. I and obviously others have been using it for many years.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

We have 4.5 Million posts, but for the most part it is a slow moving chat room. I'm not sure many threads are revisited after a couple weeks have past. If/when I migrate the forum to a contemporary software package - should I just leave the 4.5M posts behind and just transfer the structure and user accounts over?

That would mean every forum would start fresh, but there would be a link to the old archives.

Any opinions?

Scott:

Maybe retention of all 4.5 million is not feasible. Perhaps you could pick a reasonable point of retention, say the last five years and delete everything else prior.

I would suggest that those 4.5 million posts represent a critical historical record of the Bills' unprecedented 17-year playoff drought that we should make every effort, for the sake of posterity, to get rid of.

This. Plus the zero post reset is fine with me. Whatever makes it easier for the Mods, SDS.

These suggestions are not practical. I'm not fielding requests to import individual threads.

Sorry Scott. I should've mentioned I was just kidding while bringing back some nostalgia

Can I request a 'like' function and alerts for when we have posts quoted/responded to?

This would be a great and much needed addition

We have 4.5 Million posts, but for the most part it is a slow moving chat room. I'm not sure many threads are revisited after a couple weeks have past. If/when I migrate the forum to a contemporary software package - should I just leave the 4.5M posts behind and just transfer the structure and user accounts over?

That would mean every forum would start fresh, but there would be a link to the old archives.

Any opinions?

I love it.

We can restart all the classics from scratch as if they never happened!

Dump it all!

And if post counts get re-set, who the hell gives a crap other than maybe 12 year olds...

Most threads here are all about dates, not topics really.

I have often thought time/date would be a better way to classify content than topic. It's all about what's going on TODAY.

This is why so many weak threads have long life and remain active for 30 pages when they should have been dead after a few comments...

Most people do not start a new thread; they come on TODAY to see what's going on NOW. They look at what is available to choose from, and go with what is on offer...

Most interest in something like a football team is very date-oriented. How many threads speculating about X and Y from August remain relevant? Pretty much none, other than when one poster wants to retrieve old posts to use as fodder attacking some other poster regarding what he speculated on back in August.

Burn it all and start fresh.

No one will miss any of it.

If you truly want a sleeker and speedier BB, how about also stopping putting posts about similar subjects into unmanageable mega threads. 50 pages is too long a thread to easily follow. Smaller threads are faster on the system end and a whole lot easy for the user to navigate, especially with devices like smartphones. And unless it has an automatic and intuitive search engine, finding older posts beyond a couple of pages is a real pain. What was said preseason or more than a month old is old news anyway. If the topic hasn't been discussed in the last couple of pages, it is old news and probably already irrelevant to the current situations. Keep it simple and fresh!

Edited by simpleman