Beating Bengals would be more impressive than last two.

webtoe

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to speak for the OP, but he may have a point. In some ways it will be more impressive to go on the road , with injuries and win a game vs a 1-3 team that will be desperate than to sneak up on a top team ( without two of its best players for much of the contest) and pull the upset. I get it, it's not way off base. Sure at the end of the season pundits will point to the ATL as likely the Bills most impressive win. However, if the 2017 Bills break the drought fans may look to a humdrum matchup vs a 1-3 Bengals team with its back to the wall as the day their team became a squad worthy of the playoffs. Winning on the road is paramount , and what team wouldn't be jacked up to play against one of the SuperBowl participants from the last season? When outside expectations are raised it can be easy to wilt, and we've all seen many a Bills team do this over the years. Lastly, the current Bills have done nothing to warrant fans talking about " trap" games. Besides the fact that the concept has been debunked as a myth, it had a certain parameter. Particularly that it was a non division opponent sandwiched between division games. Also a team generally had to be thought of as a consistent winner and be facing a weaker, less talented team. At some point I hope the Bills get to where they are expected to win lots of games, I remember what that was like. They aren't there yet.

OMG. How can you say such things? Your clearly trolling the board with your agenda of hateful hate. Begone oh wretched sinner. I command thee to be cast into the darkness. Calling all mods. Attack! Attack!

On a happier note the Sabres signed Eichel to an 8 year extention.

Edited by Billsmovinup

a team that is 1 and 3 could be very motivated.

2 of their losses are to the Green bay and Texans by a total of 7 points

This is my take too. If there's one concept which works better than others in picking winners, it's 'Go with the more desperate team'. Across the League in recent years, this is the case until a team is so far out of it, they start rookies and make deadline trades of good players.

Who's the more desperate team Sunday?

Cincy.

......week 5 top matchups from Vince Frank at Yardbarker.....................

Buffalo Bills at Cincinnati Bengals: E.J. Gaines vs A.J. Green

The Bills have now allowed one touchdown compared to six interceptions for an opposing passer rating of 64.1 through four games. That’s just some absurd stuff, especially with a rookie in Tre’Davious White and a Rams castoff in the form of E.J. Gaines shouldering the coverage burden. It’s also come against the likes of former MVPs Cam Newton and Matt Ryan in recent weeks.

At 3-1 on the season, the Bills can continue their early-season surprise performance with a win over the 1-3 Bengals on Sunday. And in reality, it will be all about the team’s cornerback duo stepping up again. Andy Dalton and Co. struggled mightily through the first two weeks of the season. Though, they’ve picked it up recently. Over the past two games, Dalton has thrown six touchdowns and zero interceptions. He’s also completing 75 percent of his 20 passes to A.J. Green during that span.

As impressive as the last two wins have been, it is altogether different to go on the road against a familiar conference opponent as a slight favorite and pull out the victory. It was not too many years ago that the Bills went to Cincinnati 'on a roll' and got their ass handed to them.

I am cautiously optimistic at the moment, but get this W and I will be fully on the bandwagon.

This is a tough game. Cinci is on the ropes and is going to come out swinging. Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Any significant injuries for the Bengals???

Eifert

As impressive as the last two wins have been, it is altogether different to go on the road against a familiar conference opponent as a slight favorite and pull out the victory. It was not too many years ago that the Bills went to Cincinnati 'on a roll' and got their ass handed to them.

I am cautiously optimistic at the moment, but get this W and I will be fully on the bandwagon.

Bills aren't a slight favorite. Bengals are favored.

What will it take to get you guys to realize a betting line is not a prediction of who will win?

regardless of what the betting line "means" - you said the Bills are a slight favorite on the road, which they aren't.

Huh? They have one win against the Browns. This is just classic Bills fan mentality, we're scared of our own shadows. We should beat the Bengals and it won't be that impressive if we do. A win any team thinking playoffs needs to have. I think it will be a low-scoring ugly kind of game but those are the games are team is built to win. We should be able to have our way with their offense.

They played very well against Green Bay, and their defense shut down Houston. They are better than their record.

I agree this is a big game. Could easily fall into one of those trap type games. Still not that scared of them. Maybe their defense but not their offense.

That's how I felt seeing the Falcons coming back down the field. I just said "here we go again. Same old story I've seen a million times." did not expect that stop

It felt different against the Falcons to me. They could have let the Falcons score and I would have still had faith. The Broncos game is where I think you see the difference. Players are playing above themselves and they have the talent to match. Our defense is supposed to be that good and with exception of the outlier of the Panthers game, the offense should be that good. I think the Bengals will be a tough one but most of them our.

Bills fans have become way too confident in this team. Yes, a 3-1 record is nice. But we've been 3-1 before. Hell, just last year under Rex we were 4-2.

The offense still stinks. And after losing our #1 WR, it's going to likely stink more.

Meanwhile, the Bengals defense is for real.

I have the same question as I did going into the Panthers game: can our offense score against their defense? If you can't score points then it doesn't matter how good your defense is - you're not going to win.

Looking at this game independent of schedule, it would be hard to understand how a win would be more 'impressive' than say the Falcons game. BUT, I think the OP's point is to look at this through the lense of the sequence of the schedule. I'd have to agree that this win would tell us something *different* about what this Bills team is made of (compared to the Atlanta game). Favorite quote from McD after the game was about how the guys shouldn't get too ahead of themselves, and not focus on the 'high' of the win over Atlanta. Instead they should become addicted to the process it took to achieve that win.

The opponent will change each week, but being motivated to follow those steps the team agrees will lead them to the best chance to win is the important part. NOW, with a few players banged up, how will they adjust, improve on areas, and use the team/members they have available to get a "W" at Cincy. That will definitely tell us something *different* than the win over the Falcons, and in a way, after seeing the years of (dis-) organizational futility, that may be a more impressive win.

Two things I'd hope to see/be impressed about this game:

-If Dareus is healthy enough, does he have a break out day? SOMEONE should have abig day pressuring Dalton (Stats make it look like Cincy's O line hasn't been good -- but I haven't watched their games other than the Ravens game)

-Can Buffalo control the line for the run game and get Shady on track? (Cincy's D gives up 3.9 yards / run play, same stat as Buffalo's defense, but Buffalo has forced 2 turnovers vs. 0 from Cincy)

Edited by pablopbb

As the OP...I guess I should expand upon what I meant (or provide more fodder for criticism).

I did not mean to diminish how big the upsets were over Denver and Atlanta. My point was that it says something about a team when they can win the games they are supposed to win, especially on the road. The last 17 years includes quite a few exciting upsets (admittedly not too many back-to-back), but they have not been able to sustain it. Usually the next 'unexpected' loss coincides with the Bills sudden rise in exposure, expectations and power ranking following a fast start or big upset. If the Bills win on the road against a traditionally difficult opponent with all the rising expectations (and injuries) it will be clear evidence that this team is different.

I have a very good feeling about McDermott and his level or preparation. If he can keep this team focused, and they come out and control an 'inferior' team on the road it will indeed be very impressive, and not necessarily because of the win. It will show that the team has truly bought in to the PROCESS, and they may finally be on their way to long term success.

Yep, I am a battle-scarred Bills fan. What was the term coined earlier? BBFS..Batterd Bills Fan Syndrome?

This game just reminds me too much of 2011. Bills 3-0, highest scoring O in the league.

Bengals 1-2, and a very low scoring offence with a damn rookie starting at QB.

Coach saying aftyer big win then.."lets see how we handle prosperity"

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Chan-Gailey-Postgame-Press-Conference/9a6337d3-e6cb-4bc8-b4c9-7909cd50240c around the 1 minute mark

Coach now saying "lets see how we handle prosperity"

Terrified of this game

Edited by plenzmd1