I like EJ Gaines... but

cage

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd wouldn't mind having kept Sammy Watkins on this team right about now....they would be a top 5 team if TT was still throwing to him.

Yes. I can't stop thinking about this offense if Sammy were still here. He'd catch more than half of those long throws Sunday. But McDermott has earned the benefit of the doubt for that move. We'll probably never know the true reason it was made. Trust the process.

I'd wouldn't mind having kept Sammy Watkins on this team right about now....they would be a top 5 team if TT was still throwing to him.

Watkins has had 1 good game, the other 3 he has been near invisible...considering the Rams are one of the top offenses in the NFL that has to be concerning that Goff would rather throw to a 3rd round rookie than him.

Edited by matter2003

Id rather see Watkins gone, knowing we have Gaines and a pick for next year, verses nuthin when Watkins walks out the door.

We are stripped down to character team players building unity. This is how winning starts,

+1....for the most part.

The move did exactly what McD and Beane have preached since day one. They're looking to build a team with focus on both short and long term. Gaines has been as good or better than T White, minus getting a few minor injuries. If they get a productive starter from the 2nd round pick, the trade would be a steal for us, especially knowing Sammy would have commanded a huge contract that they wouldn't have been willing to pay.

If Gaines was truly a throw in, I would be curious if a day 3 pick would've secured him potentially.

Keep Sammy, and leave the 2nd on the table while hoping for a comp 3rd or tag, or signing long term.

Yes. I can't stop thinking about this offense if Sammy were still here. He'd catch more than half of those long throws Sunday. But McDermott has earned the benefit of the doubt for that move. We'll probably never know the true reason it was made. Trust the process.

Ultimately we have heard unconfirmed rumblings, though even if true I will be curious if a year in a strict system would've benefited a few of the guys we ditched. Coming off two years of chaos, it's not shocking some might take more than a couple mini camps to be all in with a new staff

If Gaines was truly a throw in, I would be curious if a day 3 pick would've secured him potentially.

Keep Sammy, and leave the 2nd on the table while hoping for a comp 3rd or tag, or signing long term.

that's my thinking as well, or let the Rams get going and wait until a few weeks in if we even need him. Scale back his role a few weeks and then showcase him and trade him.

I would have bet even if he was on the team we wouldn't be much different off. I don't know that he could have won us the Carolina game, especially when all that did was help our playoff chances.

You could look at the Sammy deal as two trades. Watkins for a 2nd, then Gaines for the 5th. Could we have still gotten Gaines and kept Sammy?

Actually a 6th. Which is even better.

Ultimately we have heard unconfirmed rumblings, though even if true I will be curious if a year in a strict system would've benefited a few of the guys we ditched. Coming off two years of chaos, it's not shocking some might take more than a couple mini camps to be all in with a new staff

I think it's very possible that the Bills could have traded a 6th (more likely a 5th) for Gaines straight-up. But then it leaves them with the same problem, i.e. what do you do with Sammy next year if he's producing like he is right now (which was probably what they were expecting)? At his current level of production, taken with his production to date, there's no way you offer him anything more than $9-10M/year. If even.

Actually a 6th. Which is even better.

I think it's very possible that the Bills could have traded a 6th (more likely a 5th) for Gaines straight-up. But then it leaves them with the same problem, i.e. what do you do with Sammy next year if he's producing like he is right now (which was probably what they were expecting)? At his current level of production, taken with his production to date, there's no way you offer him anything more than $9-10M/year. If even.

and who's going to want him then? Would Sammy have been willing to give it any effort here knowing nothing about his future and by all reports not being in to what we have as an organization?

I truly think that the Bills felt he would lose value at the end of the year as trade bait and could be stuck with some injury issues, etc

giphy.gif

somewhat creepy, yet somewhat cool graphic.

Still not a fan of the trade, but I'm now a fan of EJ Gaines:

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/915247143442636800

thanks for sharing! That's the attitude we need. Players that want to compete and win.

White and Gaines (and KC's 1st rounder) are looking like a nice trade. We could land a WR with that trade who will be more productive than Sammy.