Bills up to #3 in USA Today power rankings

YoloinOhio

Meaningless but fun nonetheless!

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/rankings/

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/03/nfl-power-rankings-bills-week-5/

When a franchise is able to knock off two star-studded, and undefeated, teams in consecutive weeks, analysts and experts take notice. The Bills skyrocketed all the way to No. 3 in USA TODAYs Week 5 power rankings this week, an 11-mark jump from just one week ago. The Falcons, who were ranked second prior to their shocking defeat to Buffalo, fell just behind the Bills at No. 4.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's insane. We're in the 10-15 range right now imo. We just lack the offensive fire power to justify that spot no matter who we beat.

Hardly insane. We beat two teams in a row who have lost to no other teams, one of whom were within an incredible choke of winning the Super Bowl last year. How else would you parse it? There are two sides to a football field and right now we've got the top defense in football and have a 3-1 record against teams who are 10-2 otherwise.

Maybe they'll prove you right. I hope not. We'll see. But really, what's your point?

I will enjoy this for as long as it lasts, Goddammit!

These rankings may be meaningless, but being #3 is fun.

And you know what's not meaningless? Standings.

Thank you.

All this "hold your breath", "pump the breaks", "temper your emotions" is for the birds. I want to enjoy this the way I want to enjoy this because waiting around for Supe Bowl trophy raising ceremony is a fools errand.

We get this so rarely I want to enjoy it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

You must have read an 8 as a 3. No one would be that dumb.... ;);)

the Panthers are 11th and they beat Buffalo....

2 weeks ago we were 23 - 26.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Hardly insane. We beat two teams in a row who have lost to no other teams, one of whom were within an incredible choke of winning the Super Bowl last year. How else would you parse it? There are two sides to a football field and right now we've got the top defense in football and have a 3-1 record against teams who are 10-2 otherwise.

Maybe they'll prove you right. I hope not. We'll see. But really, what's your point?

I think he is saying it is very hard to believe the Bills are the third best team in the league right now. I happen to agree if that is what he is thinking.

The Bills must get better on offense if they are to deserve to be number 3 on the board. - Carolina is 11 and they beat us. Bills should probably be somewhere around there.

I suspect, even if the Bills win this weekend, unless the offense really performs well, I wouldn't doubt if they drop back a spot or two even with a win.

Don't do this to yourselves, fellow Bills fans.

The Bills are in the hunt, for sure. But this is basically saying that they're a Superbowl contender already.

As McD would say, "pump the breaks." I love the way they've played so far, but I'm not paying attention to these rankings until at least half way through the season.

I think he is saying it is very hard to believe the Bills are the third best team in the league right now. I happen to agree if that is what he is thinking.

The Bills must get better on offense if they are to deserve to be number 3 on the board. - Carolina is 11 and they beat us. Bills should probably be somewhere around there.

I suspect, even if the Bills win this weekend, unless the offense really performs well, I wouldn't doubt if they drop back a spot or two even with a win.

It's hard to believe, but the facts bear it out. How else are they going to rank a team who just beat two otherwise unbeaten teams? Should they rank us lower because some of its fanbase is surprised. Perhaps Carolina is ranked too low, but the fact is the Bills have a 3-1 record against teams who have been playing well otherwise. 10-15 would put them as the lowest ranked 3-1 team, which would be silly based on what they have done on the field. There's really no other way to look at them in the power rankings unless the creators simply diss them for being the Buffalo Bills.

If they aren't for real, they will prove it. But let's give them the chance to determine that instead of tearing them down pre-emptively. For now, we are what the record says we are.

Don't do this to yourselves, fellow Bills fans.

The Bills are in the hunt, for sure. But this is basically saying that they're a Superbowl contender already.

As McD would say, "pump the breaks." I love the way they've played so far, but I'm not paying attention to these rankings until at least half way through the season.

No, this is simply reflecting what they've done on the field. What exactly are we "doing" to ourselves? I think we all know the recent history of the Bills and anyone with a brain is prepared for a possible fall, but if we can't at least get some enjoyment when we win against powerful teams, then what's the point of being a fan?

Besides, as Yolo said, these are meaningless. Heck, even I find it all a bit silly, but why drag down the team you root for because they get some meaningless praise.

Edited by thurst44

#3? Wow. Didn't expect that, and it proves the fickle nature of these rankings in general. I'd place the Bills in the top ten based upon their performance to date.

What's truly amazing so far this season is that the Pats*** have already lost two home games.

That's insane. We're in the 10-15 range right now imo. We just lack the offensive fire power to justify that spot no matter who we beat.

the broncos won a superbowl with similar stats to what we have. great defense trumps great offense. but this is why they are weekly power rankings. this week we're very good and next week we could lay an egg to cincy and be back at 15

The rankings really don't mean anything, but the wins against Denver and Atlanta have to go a long way towards building team confidence and camaraderie.

It demonstrates to me that McDermott belongs as an NFL HC and that his defensive scheme works well with the personnel that we have.

Unfortunately, this team doesn't have much depth. So I guess we'll see how we do now that guys like Milano, Holmes, and Blanton will have to pick up the slack.

The schedule does get a lil easier with Cincy, TB, and the Manuel-led Raiders coming up next.

It's hard to believe, but the facts bear it out. How else are they going to rank a team who just beat two otherwise unbeaten teams? Should they rank us lower because some of its fanbase is surprised. Perhaps Carolina is ranked too low, but the fact is the Bills have a 3-1 record against teams who have been playing well otherwise. 10-15 would put them as the lowest ranked 3-1 team, which would be silly based on what they have done on the field. There's really no other way to look at them in the power rankings unless the creators simply diss them for being the Buffalo Bills.

If they aren't for real, they will prove it. But let's give them the chance to determine that instead of tearing them down pre-emptively. For now, we are what the record says we are.

No, this is simply reflecting what they've done on the field. What exactly are we "doing" to ourselves? I think we all know the recent history of the Bills and anyone with a brain is prepared for a possible fall, but if we can't at least get some enjoyment when we win against powerful teams, then what's the point of being a fan?

Besides, as Yolo said, these are meaningless. Heck, even I find it all a bit silly, but why drag down the team you root for because they get some meaningless praise.

Carolina beat the Superbowl champs in New England and beat us.

Um...... I think they deserve to be ranked 3 before Buffalo does

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the ranking. I just don't think it is realistic. Buffalo needs to prove more to me yet. Gotta get better on offense.

Edited by PolishDave