Week 5: Bengals' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

@ChrisBrownBills

McDermott: Hughes is a complete player and be hard to find a guy who has played better than him at DE. #Bills

McDermott: run game will get back to level we saw in Week 1 thru hard work. #Bills

McDermott: anyone looking at record of Bengals and assuming anything is making a mistake. #Bills

McDermott on Milano: he's ready and he'll only get more and more ready as the week moves along. #Bills

@SalSports

Micah Hyde is day-to-day (knee and general soreness). Charles Clay had a death in the family and will not practice today.

Shaq Lawson will be limited today.

EJ Gaines will be limited (groin)

@viccarucci

Sean McDermott says #Bills' O-line is "growing. ... I'm looking for us to control the line of scrimmage."

McDermott says "hard work" key to #Bills' running game getting back to the high bar it set in Week 1.

McDermott on ? about Thornton starting ahead of Dareus: "There's great competition on our roster right now and I love that." #Bills

@JonScottTV

WATCH: @AndyYoungTV and I once again kicking-off another #Bills week with talk about relaxing expectations, Marcell Dareus, and battered O

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/915581402401218561/pu/vid/1280x720/Ctk2xusGpr7XmSyA.mp4

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Bengals really have a good defense or is it inflated by playing terrible teams?

They're pretty darn good.

They held Green Bay's offense to 5.3 yards/play, and did it on the road. They have a very solid group of corners that is extremely deep. Jones/Kirkpatrick are solid starters, and they're backed up by former 1st round picks Darqueze Dennard and William Jackson III. Their LBs are thumpers that tackle well. They've been getting after QBs pretty reliably this year as well.

They're susceptible to big plays in the passing game, however, as they've allowed 4 pass plays of over 40 yards already this year--tied for 3rd-most in the league.

Interestingly enough, Buffalo has allowed zero pass plays of over 40 yards thus far.

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer
Bills coach Sean McDermott notes "competition" when asked if Cedric Thornton or Marcell Dareus will start at defensive tackle this Sunday in Cincinnati. Dareus' playing time could increase after an ankle injury limited him last week, but it seems the coaching staff wants to give Thornton a shot at taking that top role alongside Kyle Williams.

@ChrisBrownBills

Cordy Glenn back and dressed for practice. Kyle, Lorenzo getting rest days. #Bills

Coach McDermott said Hyde wasn't going to practice today, but he's out here dressed and ready to go. #Bills

@MatthewFairburn

Micah Hyde was dressed for practice. McDermott said he wouldn't suit up because of soreness. Good sign that he's out there.

@SalSports

As I'm watching OL work it looks like Dion Dawkins is still lining up as the starter. Glenn is behind the group watching.

Good for Dion. He is learning and certainly will improve. I like the pick by the Bills. Maybe not the circumstances as i would like him to be competing for RT long term.

I'm laughing at the fans who somehow think we became a powerhouse.

The Cincinnati Bengals are no joke.

Their defense is playing just as good as ours, possibly better. Their offense struggled pretty bad to start the season, but is clearly back on track. They are also playing at home, giving us two straight road games. We barely scraped out a win against them last year.

They are favored Sunday, because they probably should be.

Yeah, those stupid fans thinking the Bills are a powerhouse, or just maybe better then a 1-3 Bengals team. The bills have had an easy schedule having to play against bottom feeder teams like Carolina Denver and Atlanta. Imagine if they had to face a juggernaut like Cleveland!

We haven't seen what this team can do against a good defence or offence. Obviously we just have to look back to last season to figure out how this game will go, since they are pretty much returning with the same coaching staff and players as last season....

Just watched the first half of the Bengals/Browns game and wow, the Browns are bad. It wasn't a game (half) that the Bengals dominated by any stretch. The Browns got a Dalton fumble recovery on the first drive, had a negative yard drive and missed a FG. On the second drive Hill coughed it up, but the Bengals recovered. After the Bengals scored on a less than dominant dink and dunk drive, the Browns threw a pick in the red zone that looked exactly like Tyrod's INT in the Jets game (only the WR was way more open and just popped it up in the air).

Anyways, I may watch the second half, but this puts me at ease a little bit. The Browns had chances and ran actually pretty well early. They got down and had multiple 3 and outs created by bad pocket presence and throwing by Kizer. Tyrod won't make the mistake that Kizer did and our D is much more stingy-- the Bengals O line is not good. We are not the Browns and the Bengals took advantage of the worst team in the league and their many, many unforced errors-- 64 yard screen pass for a TD right before half. Even with the sloppy play, the game would have been much different had they made their early FG and converted in the red zone instead of a pick.

This wasn't about the Bengals being super good; it was more about the Browns being super bad.

Edited by Jamie Nails

I still look at Dawkins as the long term solution at RT...and am hopeful Glenn can get back to healthy

Would cure a lot of ills

agreed.

Incognito mentioned quite recently that Dennison is mixing back in some power run game. Richie said he plays best in space and Coaches are listening.

I think Wood does as well and Miller has shown he can get down field in the run game.

Our run game vs their run D is the matchup i want to focus on. Bengals are tough Team front seven and now Burfict is back. Hope he is rusty and Tolbert breaks his nose

Our run game vs their run D is the matchup i want to focus on. Bengals are tough Team front seven and now Burfict is back. Hope he is rusty and Tolbert breaks his nose head

FTFY. I don't typically wish ill on anyone but Burfict deserves it.

Just watched the first half of the Bengals/Browns game and wow, the Browns are bad. It wasn't a game (half) that the Bengals dominated by any stretch. The Browns got a Dalton fumble recovery on the first drive, had a negative yard drive and missed a FG. On the second drive Hill coughed it up, but the Bengals recovered. After the Bengals scored on a less than dominant dink and dunk drive, the Browns threw a pick in the red zone that looked exactly like Tyrod's INT in the Jets game (only the WR was way more open and just popped it up in the air).

Anyways, I may watch the second half, but this puts me at ease a little bit. The Browns had chances and ran actually pretty well early. They got down and had multiple 3 and outs created by bad pocket presence and throwing by Kizer. Tyrod won't make the mistake that Kizer did and our D is much more stingy-- the Bengals O line is not good. We are not the Browns and the Bengals took advantage of the worst team in the league and their many, many unforced errors-- 64 yard screen pass for a TD right before half. Even with the sloppy play, the game would have been much different had they made their early FG and converted in the red zone instead of a pick.

This wasn't about the Bengals being super good; it was more about the Browns being super bad.

dont bother watching the 2nd half. Browns completely quit.

My observations from the Bengals/Browns game:

- The Browns are terrible. They did not look like an NFL team for most of the day. It was difficult to judge the Bengals D because of it.

- Bullock doesn't have a huge leg. We will have return opportunities if he kicks like he did in this game.

- Cinci's OT play was not great in pass protection. Hughes will be a big problem for them.

- Field position will be important. The Bengals offense was very inconsistent, think two steps forward, one step back. If they have a short field they can string together enough plays to get in the end zone. I don't see them being consistent enough to sustain long drives.

- Dalton looked better on the run than I remember.

Incognito mentioned quite recently that Dennison is mixing back in some power run game. Richie said he plays best in space and Coaches are listening.

I think Wood does as well and Miller has shown he can get down field in the run game.

Our run game vs their run D is the matchup i want to focus on. Bengals are tough Team front seven and now Burfict is back. Hope he is rusty and Tolbert breaks his nose

This is music to my ears. I did see a couple of plays with pulling guards in Atlanta. I'm relieved to see some adaptability in our coaching staff.

RB LeSean McCoy talks about finishing drives and facing the Bengals defense this Sunday.

WR Zay Jones talks about his level of confidence and utilizing the people around him in order to succeed.

This is music to my ears. I did see a couple of plays with pulling guards in Atlanta. I'm relieved to see some adaptability in our coaching staff.

I think most important feature the New Era Staff bring is the ability to adjust. Not just game to game. But at halftime and during the game. The way they flex the rotation on defense is fairly decent. Matchup aware.

But to involve the players in hope of maximizing the potential? and then employing ? That's at least half smart. I like it.

And surely "situational awareness" , has it's levels of meaning.

Fun so far ! For sure !

agreed.

....this kid rebounding after the Miami debacle, a signing I seriously doubted is one step short of amazing.....he IS a force and watching him lead a pull says so......and I firmly believe he has assumed a major leadership role and is a force in the locker room as well.....

....this kid rebounding after the Miami debacle, a signing I seriously doubted is one step short of amazing.....he IS a force and watching him lead a pull says so......and I firmly believe he has assumed a major leadership role and is a force in the locker room as well.....

I only notice him a little these days. But regardless of age. He stills does kick butts

Watch: Passing Game Productivity, Hauschka Honored Again (2:01)
Bills' Insider Chris Brown rounds up the news of the day from media day. Quarterback Tyrod Taylor believes the offense can be productive without Wide Receiver Jordan Matthews playing on Sunday. Kicker Stephen Hauschka was named AFC Special Teams Play of the Week. Hauschka became the first special teams player in club history to win back to back AFC special teams player of the week awards.

I agree with that last take, in regards to how people will perceive the Bills. If we win, everyone will believe that the Bills are for real. If they lose, it will be back to ho hum it's the same old Bills.

In regards to how the players in the locker room will feel no matter how the game turns out, I'm sure they feel that they have something for real going on.

I swear after we win the Super Bowl one day 2CB will be there 2 minutes later with the Week 1 thread :lol:

I swear after Buffalo wins the Super Bowl, power rankings will come out the next day putting Buffalo in the lower half of the top ten teams in the league.

I swear after Buffalo wins the Super Bowl, power rankings will come out the next day putting Buffalo in the lower half of the top ten teams in the league.

And Mike Schopp will read a list of top ten Bills failures during the Super Bowl post game show.

Buffalo Bills

Left tackle Cordy Glenn returned to practice Wednesday on a limited basis after missing the past two games with separate foot and ankle injuries. That gives Glenn a chance to start Sunday against Cincinnati, although his foot injury has bagged since the offseason and keeps his status unpredictable. If he cannot play, rookie Dion Dawkins will start a third game in Glenn's place. Dawkins is the 24th-ranked offensive tackle in the NFL this season by Pro Football Focus, a respectable mark for a rookie. -- Mike Rodak

Cincinnati Bengals

Tight end Tyler Eifert hasn't been to practice since Week 2, and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis declined to give an update on Eifert's timetable. Eifert has been dealing with a back issue, similar to last year's problem that put him on injured reserve. The Bengals are on a bye next week, which could help his chances of a return in the future. -- Katherine Terrell

What's your top upset pick for Week 5?

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Bills over Bengals. Cincinnati is going to have a tough time getting much going against Buffalo's defense, which is allowing the fewest points per game (13.5) in the NFL.

Buffalo Bills

Left tackle Cordy Glenn returned to practice Wednesday on a limited basis after missing the past two games with separate foot and ankle injuries. That gives Glenn a chance to start Sunday against Cincinnati, although his foot injury has bagged since the offseason and keeps his status unpredictable. If he cannot play, rookie Dion Dawkins will start a third game in Glenn's place. Dawkins is the 24th-ranked offensive tackle in the NFL this season by Pro Football Focus, a respectable mark for a rookie. -- Mike Rodak

Cincinnati Bengals

Tight end Tyler Eifert hasn't been to practice since Week 2, and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis declined to give an update on Eifert's timetable. Eifert has been dealing with a back issue, similar to last year's problem that put him on injured reserve. The Bengals are on a bye next week, which could help his chances of a return in the future. -- Katherine Terrell

What's your top upset pick for Week 5?

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Bills over Bengals. Cincinnati is going to have a tough time getting much going against Buffalo's defense, which is allowing the fewest points per game (13.5) in the NFL.

WTF?!?!

Top upset pick?!?!

If we can bring back our run schemes from the last couple years, I will be so happy.

Matchup of the Game: Bengals unveil V-Neck look with Vontaze, Vigil

BENGALS OLBS VONTAZE BURFICT, NICK VIGIL VS. BILLS RB LESEAN MCCOY

091017-vigil-nick-art.jpg
Vigil, the second-year kid, is coming off his break-out game with his speedy tackling and cover skills. Burfict, suddenly a six-year vet and one of the top players in the game, is just coming back with his razor instincts and explosive play after making his season debut last week. Bengals linebackers coach Jim Haslett has seen them play just about 50 snaps together, all of them last week in Cleveland, and already he thinks it’s a tandem to be reckoned with around the NFL.