A Few Thoughs about the Broncos Game

Virgil

My two cents:

• The team showed a lot of grit today. No spectacular performances, but a lot of guys playing hard and making key plays when needed.
  • McCoy is the perfect example of the above, not a great Shady game. But he made some huge catches and runs when the game was on the line.
  • Same for Tyrod. Gritty performance. The play action and occasional moving to set up the pass really helped him. He is best when moving around. And the Houdini move and run on that last drive was a classic.
  • Dennison's play calling really baffles at times. Twice we had the chance to put the game away and he went all conservative. It would be one thing if the running game was working, but it wasn't. I am beginning to question his zone-blocking approach.
  • The Special Teams play was, well, special.
  • Even though there are few fans of his on this board, Dareus was missed today. His presence makes a big difference in run defense.
Edited by CSBill

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tolbert should not be given the plays and carries. It's just stupid. I'm glad he's on the team. He serves a purpose. But he shouldn't be the #2 back. It's bad coaching and personnel decisions.

I'm still mystified with the cutting of Jonathan Williams. Given what we got at the position it makes no sense.

The referee who called an unsportsmanlike penalty on Von Miller should be fired. That was one of the most ridiculous and weird calls that I have ever witnessed. The Bills benefited by that bizarre call but it was a disgrace.

There was a holding call made against Incognito when pulling in which McCoy made a big play. The replay showed that it was such a negligible transgression when the back was well past the line that it bordered on being a phantom call.

The erratic officiating is killing the game. It makes the game tough to watch because there is little continuity due to so many stoppages of play.

Virgil, Great analysis and summarization. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

I'm still mystified with the cutting of Jonathan Williams. Given what we got at the position it makes no sense.

The referee who called an unsportsmanlike penalty on Von Miller should be fired. That was one of the most ridiculous and weird calls that I have ever witnessed. The Bills benefited by that bizarre call but it was a disgrace.

There was a holding call made against Incognito when pulling in which McCoy made a big play. The replay showed that it was such a negligible transgression when the back was well past the line that it bordered on being a phantom call.

The erratic officiating is killing the game. It makes the game tough to watch because there is little continuity due to so many stoppages of play.

I thought there were about eight questionable calls during the game, including the taunting call and the hold you referenced. But I think neither team really benefitted more than the other. We got away with one or two holds that weren't called.

Right off the bat Von Miller beat him bad on the first drive and then did nothing much the rest of the game. Didn't do much in the run game. I thought the switch to letting Tyrod roll out and do naked bootlegs to the left caused the Broncos to not be able to just tee off on the QB and rush hard.

Seems so. Still I expected about 4 holding calls on Dion that thankfully never occurred. Miller is a beast, though suspect in his sportsman-like conduct. :)

I thought there were about eight questionable calls during the game, including the taunting call and the hold you referenced. But I think neither team really benefitted more than the other. We got away with one or two holds that weren't called.

I agree with you that neither team benefited by the calls because it was simply in general a badly called game. I recognize that the refs have a tough job, if not impossible job, but what is missing is judgment. Especially on line calls if the offensive lineman's transgression doesn't affect the play I wish there would be less whistling of penalties.

I agree with you that neither team benefited by the calls because it was simply in general a badly called game. I recognize that the refs have a tough job, if not impossible job, but what is missing is judgment. Especially on line calls if the offensive lineman's transgression doesn't affect the play I wish there would be less whistling of penalties.

I agree with that. On the Incognito play I thought exactly what you did. Shady was past them before the hold happened, which only happened on the third time Richie engaged the defender. My bud thought it happened before Shady passed. But I get most pissed when calls are made that have no affect on the play (although a lot of them are made before that can be determined).

There was one holding call on the Bills I saw the ref make really late. Well after it happened. And my first reaction was that I was pissed that he made it so late. But after thinking about it, Tyrod escaped the tackle and then started to throw it downfield so maybe the ref called it late just because he escaped. It wasn't a bad call per se. But there are so many highly questionable calls I wish the refs would decide whether it impedes the play more.

Everyone seems to agree as do I that Tolbert does not fit on this team. Still miss Gillislee. Our defense is inspiring. McD gives me the feeling of a real coach, not a pompous blowhard. Hauschka will be a great acquisition. Dennison still troubles me but I'll chalk it up to growing pains, just like when Lynn took over. This team competes and that's the kind of team that will keep you close in games. The call on Miller was ridiculous but considering the 100+ times we've been screwed, I'm not losing sleep over it. This team gives me hope!

Call it a knock on Taylor if you want, but I'm curious how many of his check down ended up in negative yards. I feel like there was about -15-20 yards on check downs.

I'm honestly not knocking him but really more curious about how many of he passing yards were negative yards.

Edited by The Wiz

For me the biggest thing after three weeks is that this coaching staff is "Willing" the players to make the game changing plays. That last drive never happens on Rex's watch. The extra efforts made to move the chains was amazing.

I think Frazier has done a fantastic job with this young defense. Attitude and Mental toughness wins the close games. We are one finger-nail missed ball from being 3-0 and more importantly we are protecting our home territory with a 2-0 record.

Call it a knock on Taylor if you want, but I'm curious how many of his check down ended up in negative yards. I feel like there was about -15-20 yards on check downs.

I'm honestly not knocking him but really more curious about how many of he passing yards were negative yards.

The pass rush yesterday was relentless from the Broncos. We missed Glenn quite badly

Talk about an amazing win for McDermott and the Bills. This game had everything a Bills fan is used to, except for maybe a different ending than we are used to. If this regime is going to change the culture of the Bills, this might be the game that started it all. Brace yourselves, because as a game that had a lot of ups and downs, these thought are going to be all over the place.

8 - McDermott - Great win for the coach and 2-1 after 3 games is about what you would hope for with this schedule. He had another head scratching time out to me when he waited 15 seconds to call it. Other than that, I like his energy on the sideline, clapping and all. I love the lack of penalties. Most importantly, I love taking a knee with 2 minutes left and up by 10. So far, it's hard to not think we have the right coach.

For me the biggest thing after three weeks is that this coaching staff is "Willing" the players to make the game changing plays. That last drive never happens on Rex's watch.

I think Frazier has done a fantastic job with this young defense. Attitude and Mental toughness wins the close games.

As Yogi wisely said, "90% of this game is half mental." I agree there are occasional head-scratchers out there but you gotta give McD his props on the mental side. Penalties way down and it seems like everyone's head is in the game.

Edited by Ennjay

To echo what a lot of others are saying ... I'm in Colorado and watched this one with Broncos fans all around me. The consensus: a well-coached team. And that's refreshing. They're getting great defensive play, and the additions have been uniformly good to great: the entire secondary, Humber at LB, even the emergency fill-ins on the DL have handled it well. Special teams are very solid. The offense is still figuring out how to adapt to a bit of a talent gap at the skill positions other than McCoy, but I feel pretty good about 1 or 2 guys (today: Kaelin Clay, Nick O'Leary) stepping up to become significant contributors. Getting Glenn back is essential too. But overall: no really stupid mistakes. Yes, too many penalties but not really and crushingly idiotic (read: Vonn Miller) ones. Overall, a really good sustained effort, and something that bodes well for the future.

Having said that: this Broncos team is (like almost all others in the NFL this year) deeply flawed. One of the Denver Post's lead columnists picked the Bills to win at home, and pretty much had the right take on how things could/would play out. I'm afraid things won't look quite so optimistic after next week in Atlanta, but that's to be expected too.

To echo what a lot of others are saying ... I'm in Colorado and watched this one with Broncos fans all around me. The consensus: a well-coached team. And that's refreshing. They're getting great defensive play, and the additions have been uniformly good to great: the entire secondary, Humber at LB, even the emergency fill-ins on the DL have handled it well. Special teams are very solid. The offense is still figuring out how to adapt to a bit of a talent gap at the skill positions other than McCoy, but I feel pretty good about 1 or 2 guys (today: Kaelin Clay, Nick O'Leary) stepping up to become significant contributors. Getting Glenn back is essential too. But overall: no really stupid mistakes. Yes, too many penalties but not really and crushingly idiotic (read: Vonn Miller) ones. Overall, a really good sustained effort, and something that bodes well for the future.

Having said that: this Broncos team is (like almost all others in the NFL this year) deeply flawed. One of the Denver Post's lead columnists picked the Bills to win at home, and pretty much had the right take on how things could/would play out. I'm afraid things won't look quite so optimistic after next week in Atlanta, but that's to be expected too.

Totally agree. I didn't think the Broncos were nearly as good as people were saying. BUT, if this was in Denver I think the Broncos win by ten and not us. They are different team on the road. It's hard to travel across country. I think the heat and humidity hurt them the same way the light air and altitude hurts visiting teams to Denver.

Next week is a whole bother ballgame. This game I thought we had at least a 50-50 chance to win. Next week not so much. Possible but more like 25%.

Either Banyard or Taiwan Jones should be getting half the carries that Tonka Toy is getting. Actually it should be Jonathan Williams.

That was a head-scratcher for sure. it was like, did he go off and p*ss in McWrestler's Wheaties, excuse me, McDermott's high-protein muscle milk smoothie served over whole wheat fiber granola?

The only thing I can figure is they want certain attitude and effort and if they aren't getting it, a proven valuable player with a cap hit to shed gets a warning shot (Dareus), a young hopeful gets the Turk

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

That was a head-scratcher for sure. it was like, did he go off and p*ss in McWrestler's Wheaties, excuse me, his high-protein muscle milk smoothy served over whole wheat fiber granola?

The only thing I can figure is they want certain attitude and effort and if they aren't getting it, a proven valuable player with a cap hit to shed gets a warning shot (Dareus), a young hopeful gets the Turk

I think that's exactly right. And it very well could be the reason beanie and Cecil succeed or fail, they want a certain kind of guy. I understand that. But they are willing to take a lesser talent for that kind of guy. Sacrificing meritocracy for merit badges. It could work. But I can't ever think of a team in any sport ever that did that and won. I hope it works. I have my doubts. But I do love some of the results so far.

I believe, however, in every sport in every season the team that wins has two or more star players. They got rid of one of our two. I'm not even sure Shady fits their model they just know they can't get rid of him like they can't get rid of Dareus.